If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > General Shop Talk

Old 10-14-2017, 10:56 AM

Thanked 1,345 Times in 823 Posts
Grizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud of
I'll try it out on something really rusty, and see if its hard to initiate the plasma. I have some old rusty metal kicking around to try it on.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:37 PM

Gotrek will become famous soon enoughGotrek will become famous soon enough
If you decide to sell it, its used and Chinese so I'll give you 25% of what you paid for it

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 09:38 PM

Grizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud of
So I brought into the garage a piece of real nasty, rust encrusted angle iron. When I put it in the vice, skins of rust fell off in places. I had to grind it to get through to the metal to put a ground on it.

No problem whatsoever in starting the plasma on it. I cut it in two nasty rust encrusted spots and all I had to do was touch the copper plasma tip to the rusty surface and it started the plasma flow. I did not have to drag the tip around or scrape it through the rust. It just started cutting right away. I don't know that anyone would possibly want to work with anything rustier than this piece.

There must be enough high voltage or high frequency or something coming out of this plasma cutter to initiate the arc through all that rust. You wouldn't find a u bolt or piece of suspension on an old vehicle you were dismantling any rustier than this. Just make sure you clean a spot to put the ground on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rustymetalcut.JPG (136.7 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Grizzlypeg; 10-14-2017 at 10:11 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grizzlypeg For This Useful Post:
ChuckBlack (10-14-2017), tyndall (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 09:40 AM

Thanked 1,371 Times in 929 Posts
850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of
Thatís not too bad. I know itís soon but is there any top damage yet? What kind of air does it require?
Old 10-15-2017, 10:59 AM

The tip seems fine so far, but I've used it very little.

For air, it needs around 70 psi. Not sure about volume though. Probably need a couple of horsepower to be safe.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:01 PM

maddy will become famous soon enough
Any more updates. I am thinking of ordering one for myself
Old 11-07-2017, 10:28 PM

Haven't used it much. Nothing to add. Seems pretty good for $250. Lets wait and see what the other guy has to say when he gets his. Bought a set of spare parts for it. Around $20 for 10 each of nozzles, shields, tips etc. Dirt cheap setup.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:21 AM

Swede has a spectacular aura aboutSwede has a spectacular aura aboutSwede has a spectacular aura about
Update,

Guess the roll of the dice on a super cheap Ebay deal can bite one in the butt. I've still not received the one I ordered Sept 4th. Opened a case with Ebay and I'm hoping that I get my money refunded.

I found another US seller (supposedly) that's listing for $127 CAD. I just can't bring myself to try again, my confidence in Ebay is down considerably from where it was a few years ago.

I did decide to order off Amazon, $332 CAD shipped by Amazon, not a third party. Should be here next week. I've got a project on the go that requires some economical metal cutting tools, so I'm hoping for the best, and it this one turns out not to work I'll have an easier time returning it.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:02 AM

Standard rate parcel shipping from China is extremely slow. I've had packages take over 3 months to arrive. That's beyond the claim time for ebay. Unless you pay for Fedex or other high end shipping methods (then its overnight), it can take a really long time for packages to arrive from China. I bought a lot of stuff over the summer from china and some came fairly quickly, like 2-3 weeks, and others took over 3 months. I suspect they shipped it by the lowest end parcel service available to save money. You will get it, but it could take another month.
Swede (11-13-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 12:27 PM

Gotrek will become famous soon enoughGotrek will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlypeg View Post
Standard rate parcel shipping from China is extremely slow. I've had packages take over 3 months to arrive. That's beyond the claim time for ebay. Unless you pay for Fedex or other high end shipping methods (then its overnight), it can take a really long time for packages to arrive from China. I bought a lot of stuff over the summer from china and some came fairly quickly, like 2-3 weeks, and others took over 3 months. I suspect they shipped it by the lowest end parcel service available to save money. You will get it, but it could take another month.
Most of it ships by boat and often goes the long way around. Then container sit in a customs lot for a long time. The whole contained gets cleared then they start sorting through it. I'm always amazed its as fast as it is.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Tags
amazon or ebay, cutter, opinions, plasma