If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > ATV General Discussions > Suspension & Tires

Old 03-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Cummins Old Skool! :)

Thanked 1,400 Times in 394 Posts
QUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond repute
Lets talk about tracks

OK so after a winter of playing in the snow, there has been a lot of talk about tracks. Different kinds, pro's and cons, rides, playing in drifts etc. So lets put it all together and hear what people think. Are they really worth the investment and are they fun and realistic for winter riding.

I personally have had a blast this winter, I have only put about 500 miles on my machine since the snow came but it sure has been fun. I have spent countless hours playing in the snow. I have also put about 500 miles on my sled, but those miles go on much faster, like 3 rides and farting around home. So far I would much rather ride the quad and my buddies have all but given up trying to drag me out on the sled for a ride, and in fact, my last ride, there were 2 tracked quads and a tag along sled. Couldn't have been that much fun for the sled but we all had a fun day. Sure is funny to see the reaction you get with one of these machines, last weekend we had cars slowing down on the hwy and a few even stopped to watch us play in the drifts. One guy even pulled over and then kept pace with us for a couple of miles, believe it or not maybe about 1/2 an hour as we destroyed a few drifts.

Anyway, I have had so much fun with the tracks, that I think I might get another set. I love riding with these tracks. I'm not sure what kind I'm going to try next. Might wait a bit longer and see what is all coming out for next year. Definitely seems to be getting more popular. I'd like to get more feed back on the Polaris Tracks handling, floatation, power, durability, if anyone has had any problems or break downs, or damage to the bike or tracks. Also if anyone is looking to sell theirs, I might be interested if the price is right? I really like the profile and tread pattern of the Polaris track. I also like that new TJD that was in another thread, looked similar to the Polaris but a different tread pattern again...... Woo Hoo.

I also want to compare first hand how much difference there is with the gear reduction tracks as far as the lift and extra clearance. I already know they are quite a bit slower on the road, but in the deep snow, it seems there is a maximum speed for every condition and no matter what tracks you have, once you reach that speed, any more power mostly makes you spin and doesn't give you much more performance. Kind of like a boat. So seeing as I know these are more difficult to trail ride these because of the gear reduction, I want to see if it is worth it not being able to easily ride with everyone else. As we know quads on tires can ride all winter too, it is just that they usually stick closer to a packed trail that's all and it is nice to be able to tag along with them and not worry about holding everyone up.

OK so I have the ADBoivin Track kit. First impression? Big drive gear = higher speed, also means it takes a big bore bike to drive it. This is true, I am easily able to ride with quads on tires and keep up while they are running down the hard packed trail. Sometimes if the trail is too narrow I can't negotiate the turns as quickly so I get slowed down but otherwise, good to go. Also if the trail gets soft, or stops then I'm good to go and I can break trail for the rest. I can also be a tow truck for anyone having trouble. What does that mean? Well 50 - 75 mile rides no problem, just bring extra gas and have fun.

If I spin down though, I have 4 - 5 inches less ground clearance than the other track kits. In deep powder, this can get me hung up quickly, where others kits can still get traction to back out or power through. So far it is my experience that power doesn't always work. Sometimes it makes you go down. One thing for sure is the snow changes with the weather dramatically, and can drastically change how your tracks perform. One thing I definitely have learned is if your not going to make it, stop back up and try it again. 9 times out of 10 this will get you through most anything and get you on your way again.

So over all, I have had a lot of fun this winter for a lot less money than a new sled, or you could even say for the price of a reasonable used sled, but without the extra cost of another machine. The key being is a sled is very high on maintenance, they are designed to wear out. On average I think it is reasonable to say that a sled will require 2 - 3 hundred dollars of maintenance each year, if you keep it in good reliable condition. Some years more some years less. So take that and the registration and everything involved, I think if speed and big miles isn't your primary goal then a quad on tracks can be an excellent way to get waaaaaaaaay! the heck out there in the winter. No you wont be breaking any land speed records but you will have great days out in the wonderful winter wonderland we all call home.

Thanks for reading and Happy Trails
Old 03-16-2006, 10:54 AM

Bunyan is a glorious beacon of lightBunyan is a glorious beacon of lightBunyan is a glorious beacon of lightBunyan is a glorious beacon of lightBunyan is a glorious beacon of lightBunyan is a glorious beacon of light
awesome reveiw qz. definately would agree to get tracks instead of another sled. they do seem to be high in maintenance even if you own a new one.
1985 honda 250(hunting bike)
2006 Polaris 500 EFI
Kimpex footpeg/fender guards
2" rubberdown lift
Turner Axles
Old 03-16-2006, 10:56 AM
too aggressive

optima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to behold
who is this bunyan guy.... do you own a quad yet. wings tonight at huggies... my next purchase next winter is a set of tracks for sure...

1999 Polaris 335 Sportsman 2.5 warn winch, AGM battery !!!!OFFICAL TRACKSHARE POLARIS 800 EFI BOOSTER!!!!!
1998 Polaris Indy Trail

2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700FI Red in color
NEW to the garage
2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 4X4i
Old 03-16-2006, 11:00 AM

QUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond repute
Thx Bunyan, Yeah my point exactly, every sled new or used should cost you that. And that is even if you do the work yourself, don't know what a dealer would charge?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Driver Extraordinaire!

KODIAK ARREST is a glorious beacon of lightKODIAK ARREST is a glorious beacon of lightKODIAK ARREST is a glorious beacon of lightKODIAK ARREST is a glorious beacon of lightKODIAK ARREST is a glorious beacon of light
And to let those people know that have never ridden with someone with tracks...its like following a snow storm!!!! but never the less....very cool....KA
2011 can am outlander 800 xt max ,i.s.s. intake,apache wide tracks, 28" highlifter outlaws on itp ss 312's, f/r hw ,tw, windshield, xxc KYB shocks, brp cargo box with quick attach, brp skids, king atv pod and equus gauges,Hmf penland Exhaust,hmf fuel programmer,front and rear renegade pegs, kolpin flares, 2 kolpin spare fuel tanks, xmr rad relocate, 3500 lb superwinch, kimpex "click and go" plow, magellen 500le gps.
THAT FUNNY TASTE IN YOUR MOUTH IS MY ROOST!!
Old 03-16-2006, 11:19 AM

Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,549 Posts
bbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond repute
I feel tracks are awesome. The only problem is they are not to popular yet, maybe next year, so your riding with friends who have tires on their quad or have a sled. Its not as fun when you mix rides like that. The tire guys don't want to play, they want to ride trails. The sled guys can play in the snow but want to go fast so your slowing them down. Its only really really fun when you got guys who all have tracks on their quads, even if you have to tow or blaze a trail for them, lol.

Tracks are nothing like owning a sled, not near as nimble, not as fast. Totally different animal. If you owned a sled in the past and want to get the same feeling out of your quad, think again. Steering is a bear, super deep snow only allows for flat riding. Climb a hill in straight powder and your going no where, talking about powder where you sink 2 feet. In the snow that you don't sink down in to much, you can go anywhere.

Sleds go through more snow than quads with tracks but only because they have speed and power. Quads with tracks go through more snow than sleds if your going slow. For a quad to go through deep snow and stop in it and then get going again, its nothing. For a sled, your going to be cursing unlesss you got a ton of lug.

Am I happy with my tracks, hell ya. Tracks are awesome fun. I got a chance to pick up the Polaris tracks this week and they are much lighter than my TJDs. Someday we'll have a track showdown and have video to show the good and bad of each.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:21 AM

Yup lots of snow flies up, I usually stand up so I'm not sitting in it. But if your tracks are hard to steer this might not be possible. Also I have very old ski pants, totally not waterproof so because of all the snow and sitting and standing etc. I found that my but would always get wet. New ski pants would probably solve that problem though???
Old 03-16-2006, 11:24 AM

bbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond reputebbertram has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadzilla Man
Yup lots of snow flies up, I usually stand up so I'm not sitting in it. But if your tracks are hard to steer this might not be possible. Also I have very old ski pants, totally not waterproof so because of all the snow and sitting and standing etc. I found that my but would always get wet. New ski pants would probably solve that problem though???

My skipants suck too, totally soaked after.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:27 AM

Good insight BB, I wonder what the Polaris tracks weight??? Mine are about 100lbs/corner I think.

One thing to compare sleds and quads on tracks, I think it is a lot easier to poke around and check stuff out on a quad. What I guess I'm saying is it is easier to go slow anywhere on a quad that a sled, at least a regular sled. Maybe a trapper sled or deep powder wide track work horse might be able to creep around the bush but a quad definately can with tracks. Especially if you put it in low range, not difficult on the belt at all and lots of torque and it doesn't try to spin the tracks but just powers through, if you like this stuff like I do, then you'll have a lot of fun.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Good insight BB, I wonder what the Polaris tracks weight??? Mine are about 100lbs/corner I think.

One thing to compare sleds and quads on tracks, I think it is a lot easier to poke around and check stuff out on a quad. What I guess I'm saying is it is easier to go slow anywhere on a quad that a sled, at least a regular sled. Maybe a trapper sled or deep powder wide track work horse might be able to creep around the bush but a quad definately can with tracks. Especially if you put it in low range, not difficult on the belt at all and lots of torque and it doesn't try to spin the tracks but just powers through, if you like this stuff like I do, then you'll have a lot of fun.

They felt about half the weight on my tracks. If I could grip the tracks somehow I could lift it up with one arm. I never tried but I imiagine I could. Mine takes two arms and some back. I believe my TJD's are 240 lbs total, 240/4= 60 lbs each.

The next test will be slush and mud, not much though, don't want to bust anything on my quad or tracks.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:41 AM

Slush so far real good, the Sein is all slush on Sunday and once I was sure it wasn't open I drove right in. No problems really, but if the slush were deeper I could possibly see tracks having trouble getting back on top of the ice if there was a top layer and a bottom layer, if you know what I mean.

Mud will be interesting, I'm not sure about the mud but can't wait to try. The swamps might be interesting too, the ones that if you stop moving you can see the ground sink and water starts coming up. You know what happens if you spin down in that with tires? I wonder what will happen with the tracks?

Maybe April we will head in to Hugo???? What do you say Ramco?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:44 AM

Hey are you sure that is 240lbs total? or 240 net.

I know mine advertise 240 net but that includes 30 lbs each for the tire and rim combination that is removed so 400 - 120 = 280. OK so 280 net then???
Old 03-16-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Hey are you sure that is 240lbs total? or 240 net.

I know mine advertise 240 net but that includes 30 lbs each for the tire and rim combination that is removed so 400 - 120 = 280. OK so 280 net then???

Not sure where you are getting 400 lbs from. I'm pretty sure Vinnie said 240 or 220 when he got them on delivery. Lets say your quad is 600 lbs, remove tires at 20 lbs a piece, your quad now weighs 520 lbs, add 240 lbs of track and your up to 760 lbs. The weight of the tracks have nothing to do with your tires, I know the Polaris tracks are like half the weight or the TJDs, they are all plastic and some metal that feels like plastic.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Driver Extraordinaire!

KODIAK ARREST is a glorious beacon of lightKODIAK ARREST is a glorious beacon of lightKODIAK ARREST is a glorious beacon of lightKODIAK ARREST is a glorious beacon of lightKODIAK ARREST is a glorious beacon of light
Dont Forget About The 400lbs Of Snow That Gets Packed In The Machine After A Day Of Riding With Tracks!! Ka
2011 can am outlander 800 xt max ,i.s.s. intake,apache wide tracks, 28" highlifter outlaws on itp ss 312's, f/r hw ,tw, windshield, xxc KYB shocks, brp cargo box with quick attach, brp skids, king atv pod and equus gauges,Hmf penland Exhaust,hmf fuel programmer,front and rear renegade pegs, kolpin flares, 2 kolpin spare fuel tanks, xmr rad relocate, 3500 lb superwinch, kimpex "click and go" plow, magellen 500le gps.
THAT FUNNY TASTE IN YOUR MOUTH IS MY ROOST!!
Old 03-16-2006, 01:02 PM

Royal says 220 added weight, I reading somewhere that they also assume 30lbs/wheel?
So ~85lbs/track?
Old 03-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Paid Advertiser

vinnie has a reputation beyond reputevinnie has a reputation beyond reputevinnie has a reputation beyond reputevinnie has a reputation beyond reputevinnie has a reputation beyond reputevinnie has a reputation beyond reputevinnie has a reputation beyond reputevinnie has a reputation beyond reputevinnie has a reputation beyond reputevinnie has a reputation beyond reputevinnie has a reputation beyond repute
Ok They Add 220lbs Aproximatly So There Ive Had Mine For 3 Months Now And I Really Like Them My Days Of Sleding Are History Ya Sure I Cant Do 100 Miles An Hour But I Really Dont Care To Anyway And I Am Sure That This Track Thing Will Catch On As More People Buy Them I Have 15 Sets Coming For All Different Sorts Of Machines If Any Interest Or U Would Like To Tyr Them Just Ask
Old 03-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Trackshare Moderator

Thanked 1,513 Times in 834 Posts
JB has a reputation beyond reputeJB has a reputation beyond reputeJB has a reputation beyond reputeJB has a reputation beyond reputeJB has a reputation beyond reputeJB has a reputation beyond reputeJB has a reputation beyond reputeJB has a reputation beyond reputeJB has a reputation beyond reputeJB has a reputation beyond reputeJB has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Quadzy, just to set this straight....................I received the two sets of tracks when we ordered them. It was complete on one skid. Total weight was 840lbs for two sets.

Now, you have to less the skid weight and that would give you the weight of the two sets..............divided by two.

Pretty sure it's around 400 lbs total per set.........and boy does it ever feel like it!!!! 220lbs would be way out!!! And by yanking and trying to lift that SP with the tracks feels definately more than an extra 220lbs.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:42 PM

Hmmm, now we need to weigh the different tracks.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:43 PM
too aggressive

optima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to behold
i will try a set if your offering vinnie

1999 Polaris 335 Sportsman 2.5 warn winch, AGM battery !!!!OFFICAL TRACKSHARE POLARIS 800 EFI BOOSTER!!!!!
1998 Polaris Indy Trail

2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700FI Red in color
NEW to the garage
2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 4X4i
Old 03-16-2006, 01:59 PM

roughneck is on a distinguished road
AD BOIVIN owners have the option of snow deflectors to keep the snow off the rider I have a set on my 650 but have yet to ride with them and report on whether they are worth the money , the biggest problem comparing diffrent modles of tracks is that they are all on diffrent machines. I realy think you have to match the track to the machine you own to get the best out of your setup.

I have two sets of ad boivin on a 400 cat and a 650 cat . the 650 cat has great ground clearance from factory and the v twinn has oodles of power so this combo works realy well . the 400 has less gc as it is sra modle also short on power I would like to try this quad with the tatous i think it would be a better match

Tags
tracks