If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > General Shop Talk

Old 05-07-2017, 06:21 PM

Thanked 1,349 Times in 826 Posts
Grizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud of
rusted through steel car wheels

My wife's car has winter tires and steel rims from Canadian Tire.
Bought new as a set, half a dozen years ago. I thought the rims looked pretty rusty when I put them on last fall. I even gave them a quick coat of tremclad paint. Fast forward to today. Two rims are so badly rusted, air is leaking out of the wheels. Rusted right through the rims, not a rim leak, but actually air coming through the wheels. Tire's themselves were bought new with the rims, half a dozen years ago. Tires still have lots of life left in them. Talk about shit metal and paint on those crappy tire wheels. All four are garbage now. Never seen that with factory wheels 20 years old.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:39 PM

randas is on a distinguished road
Those steel rims they put winter tires on are absolute garbage. Depending on the vehicle you can usually find a set of takeoff aluminum rims on kijiji for less
The Following User Says Thank You to randas For This Useful Post:
Grizzlypeg (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 09:45 AM

bbrent is a splendid one to beholdbbrent is a splendid one to beholdbbrent is a splendid one to beholdbbrent is a splendid one to beholdbbrent is a splendid one to beholdbbrent is a splendid one to beholdbbrent is a splendid one to beholdbbrent is a splendid one to behold
that's crazy
Old 05-08-2017, 09:48 AM

Grizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud of
They are so bad they shouldn't be sold IMO. Probably even dangerous. If the rim is leaking air through the flat center of the rim, they are probably ready to break apart. Or explode when you put air in them.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:14 AM

gtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the rough
Chinese steel at its best.
The Following User Says Thank You to gtrussell For This Useful Post:
bbrent (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 11:13 AM

6x5x55 is on a distinguished road
rusty wheels

Thats why I do not buy cdn tire crap
Old 05-08-2017, 11:50 AM

I have contact Transport Canada about this. I'll report back on what they have to say.
12321 (05-09-2017), Sniper-T (05-08-2017), tonym63 (05-08-2017), Wasaki (05-09-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 08:10 PM

Location: Just to the East of the Longitudinal center of Canada
Sniper-T is a splendid one to beholdSniper-T is a splendid one to beholdSniper-T is a splendid one to beholdSniper-T is a splendid one to beholdSniper-T is a splendid one to beholdSniper-T is a splendid one to beholdSniper-T is a splendid one to behold
agreed griz... you are at least not trying to justify the greatest super hero power... COMMON SENSE. Rims should last forever... I have three sets for my 69 Camaro, dating back to the eighties... and they're solid!

shtfready.com staff member

The Following User Says Thank You to Sniper-T For This Useful Post:
RUNNER (05-11-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 08:25 PM

gasguzzler is a glorious beacon of lightgasguzzler is a glorious beacon of lightgasguzzler is a glorious beacon of lightgasguzzler is a glorious beacon of lightgasguzzler is a glorious beacon of lightgasguzzler is a glorious beacon of light
Mine are 6 years old. No rust at all on them but tires are almost done. Can't say I've had any issues with Canadian Tire. There Tire warrenty always pays for itself lol

Last edited by gasguzzler; 05-08-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasguzzler View Post
Mine are 6 years old. No rust at all on them but tires are almost done. Can't say I've had any issues with Canadian Tire. There Tire warrenty always pays for itself lol
Maybe I should take them back to Canadian Tire and play dumb. Ask them why they don't hold air anymore.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:41 PM

Hello Mr. XXXXX,

Transport Canada does not regulate the importation or manufacturing of aftermarket products, such as, in your case, winter rims.

However, if you wish, you may document your complaint in our public complaint database by visiting https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng.

Sincerely,

Defects and Recalls | Défauts et Rappels

Transport Canada | Transports Canada

Motor Vehicle Safety | Sécurité des véhicules automobiles

80 rue Noël street, Gatineau, Québec, J8Z 0A1

Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

1-800-333-0510
Old 12-01-2017, 11:04 AM

Canadian Tire refused to do anything. They told us the rims have only a one year warranty. Not even a free install if we buy new rims. Kinda what I expected, as in I have low expectations for level of service at Canadian Tire's auto service centers. Pretty good store otherwise.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:09 PM

Wasaki has a spectacular aura aboutWasaki has a spectacular aura about
Transport Canada's response is less than adequate , as is CT's . I would like to know how many retailers are selling this crap. It has never crossed my mind that rims would rust out with in 6 years.
You should contact Market Place (TV) . They might want to expose this and force a change . I wonder how many incidents have happened with these rims and have been blamed on the consumer or tire failure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wasaki For This Useful Post:
Grizzlypeg (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 12:22 PM

I read an article about the same problem with aftermarket aluminum wheels in australia. The aftermarket rims do not have to meet with any standards, and can shatter in a pot hole, where factory rims would either suffer no breakage, or simply bend. No doubt the same chinese crap they sell in Canada. I can understand the lack of regulation of non functional aftermarket car parts, such as dress up items, but wheels, no regulations? You can't sell or drive with a non dot / mot approved tire, but you can sell rims that can shatter or rust through?

Tags
rusted, steel, wheels