If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > General Shop Talk

Old 03-08-2014, 05:09 PM

Thanked 3,545 Times in 1,876 Posts
tonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond repute
Power Fist 880 Watt Generator

Just picked one of these units up. My plan is to keep the battery charged in the rv, until I get it moved where there is power. I notice there is a 12v dc plug on the unit. Can I charge the battery right off the generator or should I run a battery charger off the generator? Anyone have one of these units? Paid 75 bucks for it. Works good at low draw. How are they on fuel?
Thanks Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (509.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (509.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (519.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-08-2014, 05:23 PM

Thanked 6,652 Times in 2,634 Posts
boak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond repute
maybe... depends on the battery.

your gen. at the d.c. port puts out 8.3a at 12v with max. chargable battery capacity of 40 A.h.

Me I would use a separate battery charger w/gauge and auto shut off and maybe deep cycle option OR the campers charger first.

The Following User Says Thank You to boak For This Useful Post:
tonym63 (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 05:27 PM

tonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond repute
I was thinking about plugging the rv in direct. I am just not sure what the current draw would b on the rv. I am not sure what all is powered up in the rv. I guess with everything shut off it might have enough power?
Just figure if I use it to keep the battery charged, there will only b 12 volt accessories running.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:01 PM

tyndall is a name known to alltyndall is a name known to alltyndall is a name known to alltyndall is a name known to alltyndall is a name known to alltyndall is a name known to all
The rv will probably have a built-in battery charger / converter that activates as soon as you plug in the power. Count on it drawing about 500 to 800+ watts. The fridge around 300-400 watts.
The Following User Says Thank You to tyndall For This Useful Post:
tonym63 (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 07:10 PM

boak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond repute
I used to use a 1000w Yamaha gas invertor on my 24' trailer in the fall, early winters and spring during hunting. Was more than I needed.

Fridge on gas, stove on gas. Furnace on gas but used the battery power for the fan.

in the evening with a few of the 12v lights on, furnace fan running on battery, laptop playing a movie the battery charger putting juice into the batteries (2 24 series deep cycle batteries) the 1000w invertor was barely off idle and handled it easy.

Just list what will be using power and do the math. Nothing fancy being run just the bare min. for Di and I and it was enough to keep batteries charged, fire the pilot light on the fridge, a few lites and night, movie on laptop.

By far the furnace fan was biggest draw of power for us.

of course nothing with electric elements could be used and no a/c with my tiny invertor.

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...d-amp-draw.asp

tonym63 (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 08:04 PM

I think it will do the job for what I want then. Only thing that I really need running is the furnace fan and some lights. By the time I need the fridge for the beer, I will have hydro :)
Old 03-09-2014, 09:23 AM

I used to do ALOT of off grid camping and power/battery life became very critical. I used to run 2 large deep cycle batteries plus the invertor (generator).

I was always surprised by the "hidden" draws on the camper that took away my valuable power.

Doing the match is you have 100 A.h. 12 v deep cycle battery then depending on a lot of things like make, model, size, etc...

- CO detector takes about 1 A.h or 24 per day (1/4 of your batterys power in a day) so do you disconnect and open windows during the day to save power. Risky move but to save 1/4 of 1 batteries power??
- TV / radio antenna booster takes about the same and on my trailer no way to shut it off so I put in a switch to disconnect and saved 1/4 of 1 batteries power per day.
- fridge was LP gas so used little to no power here.
- fans when warm to move circulate heat or if hot to cool down was 4 A.h so if left running would kill a batteries charge all by itself in less than a day.
- furnace fan was a huge draw on the batteries (furnace itself was gas). Really considered hard removing the forced air furnace and replacing with the older style convection / non fan ones that were common in the 70's. My furnace fan in a 24' trailer drew 3 A.h. so if fan ran for say 4 hours per night then in the morning to heat the trailer for the wife another hour I would use almost 20% of the battery and not use the furnace much at all.
- etc...

became a real event managing batteries in cold whether but could carry us a full day.
2 100 A.h. batteries in perfect condition during the fall when the outdoor temps were cool would carry us 2 days without a charge but not much more and we were really careful with conserving power. Comfortable but very conservative.

Recharging batteries using a 15a battery charger took about 12 hours of generator running time over a 2 day period. So we ran it every night and charged batteries at same time as the heavy electrical draw was being made (lites, furnace before bed, radio, etc...) that way we charged at same time as heavy draw period was on.

the 1000w yami was big enough for this type of minimal use wilderness camping keeping us warm before bed, fridge on, lap top movies at night running 5 hours at night on a 2 battery system.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boak For This Useful Post:
Nozzleweed (03-10-2014), sleeper (11-14-2017), tonym63 (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 09:36 AM

After reading the link u supplied it seems I would b better off charging the battery with a battery charger. They say the converter usually only charges at 3 amps. At 3 amps, I don't think it would power the fan and other accessories. At least with the battery charger there will b 10 amps charging the battery instead of 3
Old 03-09-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym63 View Post
After reading the link u supplied it seems I would b better off charging the battery with a battery charger. They say the converter usually only charges at 3 amps. At 3 amps, I don't think it would power the fan and other accessories. At least with the battery charger there will b 10 amps charging the battery instead of 3
3a charging from your built in charger/convertor does not sound right to me.

I had a small trailer about 10 year old now if I still had it and mine was 11a/45a selectable.

Selected based on type of batteries and size of batteries as you do not want to plow 45a into a single/small 70a/hr battery.... would charge way to fast and do damage.

you should take a closer look and see if you can get make/model # and look it up.

Personally I like the external charger as it had a gauge that I could see the charge state much more accurately as the built in one didn't have a gauge.

I also used a volt meter and could test batteries anytime I wanted to see state of charge by checking voltage from the 12v cig. lighter plug place that was inside the trailer. $20 from Canadian tire can get you a digital one when they are on sale. I still have my original one must be 15 years old now and still works great.

Would use the volt meter and compare to a chart.
12.6+ and I knew batteries were about fully charge
if 12.2v I knew I was half empty and needed to juice them up to avoid sulfication or something like that that ruins batteries if discharged to much.

Quickly after 1 night, a volt meter and this chart you get to learn how much power you used, how much has to be put back in, how long you can go without using genertator, how long to run generator etc...

http://www.mmbalmainauto.com.au/PDF/..._batteries.pdf

the battery gauge idiot lights inside the trailer about battery charge was not very accurate at all.

Last edited by boak; 03-09-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:56 AM

and the battery is being charged by the converter charger (3 amps).

I guess the inverter supplies higher current for accessories and only 3 amps to charge battery?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
and the battery is being charged by the converter charger (3 amps).

I guess the inverter supplies higher current for accessories and only 3 amps to charge battery?
yes the built in charger/convertor charges the battery when plugged into 120v and also makes all the 12v/120v conversions that go on in the trailer.

BUT I can not believe the battery charging part of this device in your trailer is only 3a?? if so nothing more than a trickle charge and on a single 90A.h. battery would take 15 hours to charge it from a 1/2 discharge state. I find that unlikely it would be so weak on the charging component.

I could be wrong as I am wrong often. But get the make/model of the charger/convertor/invertor from your trailer and would be easy to look up the charger strength of it. Then you know for sure.

I still liked using a good quality, separate charger that had a gauge/state of charge indicator.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Another question I was asked was; I know my converter is also a battery charger so why won’t it bring my discharged batteries back to a full charge? RV converters do provide a charge to your RV house batteries, but only a small portion of the converters amperage rating is used for this. Normally 3 to 5 amps, which are not nearly enough to charge batteries that are discharged.
It does seem off, but it sounds like the way they are designed.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:38 AM

did some internet searching and without knowing your exact model I still think 3a is really an under estimate.

Smallest convertor/invertor/charger I can find is 30a and they go up in size depending on size camper.

and I found this for the smallest model made

http://www.progressivedyn.com/about_...verters.html#5

5. What is the maximum rate my Converter/Charger will re-charge my battery?
The 9200 Series and 9100 Series electronic Converter/Chargers can charge the battery at their maximum current output rating, provided there are no other 12-volt systems operating and if the battery is discharged enough to accept this charge rate. Progressive Dynamics presently manufacturers six different models of the 9100 series and four models of the 9200 series power converters as shown in the chart below. The last two digits of the part number indicate its maxim current charging capability in amps.

So I see this as 30a max. can go to the battery IF no other loads on the system and if battery discharged enough to handle it.
If running furnace fan and a few other items then what's left goes to the batteries... to me this makes sense and matches my experience.

so if using power moderately (say 25% of all power in camper for lights, furnace, radio, cd player, antenna booster, CO detector, etc...) then 75% of this 30a could flow to battery (22amps)

Good question for an RV tech. at one of the local dealers though as I be no expert and have no training just from hands on experience.

Last edited by boak; 03-09-2014 at 10:40 AM.
tonym63 (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 09:40 PM

anyone else have one of thess? trying to find the spark plug number, mine is worn off.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:00 PM

Thanked 1,301 Times in 718 Posts
WARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud of
Tony u stayin in the trailer while in the dealers compound?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:01 PM

Yeah.. why?
Old 03-09-2014, 10:03 PM

I sneak in there at night and leave in the morning.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:56 AM

Thanked 1,301 Times in 718 Posts
WARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud ofWARHAMMER has much to be proud of
Quote:
yeah.. Why?
lmfao |||||||
Old 11-13-2017, 08:49 PM

Wysard is on a distinguished road
I am learning about the power fist 880 watt portable generator

Quote:
Just picked one of these units up. My plan is to keep the battery charged in the rv, until I get it moved where there is power. I notice there is a 12v dc plug on the unit. Can I charge the battery right off the generator or should I run a battery charger off the generator? Anyone have one of these units? Paid 75 bucks for it. Works good at low draw. How are they on fuel?
Thanks Tony.
as i found one at the dump and got it working but have been looking for a manual. If anyone has a link or an idea where I could find one I would appreciate it.

Tags
generator, power