If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > General Shop Talk

Old 12-05-2017, 11:18 AM

parkerbrotha will become famous soon enoughparkerbrotha will become famous soon enough
yeah, tires is another thing that's blown out of proportion. I used 1010tires for our large SUV and it came to $950 shipped to my door. Costco or Crappy Tire couldn't even come close.

Last edited by parkerbrotha; 12-06-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:33 AM

sneaker is a jewel in the roughsneaker is a jewel in the roughsneaker is a jewel in the rough
Yes we obviously need the service that local suppliers provide and I support local to the tune of $4000 every month through my business, but the fact is that some of the pricing is way out of whack and they need a wake up call.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:37 AM

motorboat is a name known to allmotorboat is a name known to allmotorboat is a name known to allmotorboat is a name known to allmotorboat is a name known to allmotorboat is a name known to all
Outrageous is a $20k snowmobile or $30k side by side!
mudinmycrack (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 03:24 PM
Phuck 4 wheels

Thanked 1,661 Times in 779 Posts
mudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbrotha View Post
yeah, tires is another thing that's blown out of proportion. I used 1080tires for our large SUV and it came to $950 shipped to my door. Costco or Crappy Tire couldn't even come close.
I agree my bike tire is $330 here and $220 cdn on line. WTF is with that.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:44 AM

ridgerider will become famous soon enoughridgerider will become famous soon enough
I understand internet pricing is cheaper and it should be ad the overhead is much lower. With that being said, just remember the true benefit of local business. If the local businesses close, no more free silent auction prizes for every occasion lol, no more accessible parts on a Saturday morning, no more "emergency" parts on a Sunday night when the family from out if town is visiting Lol, and one less company to pay commercial tax rates which help keep the local skating rink open. I own a parts store and my average margin across the board is probably about 30%, not even close to 100-200% that was suggested. I order off the internet also but I'll never bash a business owner cause I know how hard they work to stay competitive and go stay in business period.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ridgerider For This Useful Post:
Grizzlypeg (12-06-2017), JeffGordon (12-06-2017), King Of Bling (12-09-2017), motorboat (12-06-2017), parkerbrotha (12-06-2017), RUNNER (12-07-2017), sneaker (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 10:27 AM

parkerbrotha will become famous soon enoughparkerbrotha will become famous soon enough
here's an example of what i went through for the wife's front struts on her Sequoia. Personally i wouldn't go Munroe again, but choose the Bilsteins as they would have been easier to install. In any case, pricing speaks for itself comparing Crappy and Rock. Again, i'm all for supporting the local guy if that local guy is being competitive. Add in Selinger PST and GST and you are now at $341 for crappy tire on sale. Off sale for them is $427. Rock Auto including shipping, any duties and taxes, Add a 5% discount code found anywhere on the web for Rock Auto and you are at $201 to your door 2-8 working days.

I'm going to put that $140+ dollars that i just saved in my pocket and buy some gas for the sled or take my kids out to do an activity. Ridgerider, if you were at 30% markup on these struts i would consider using local, but at 100%+ markup i have a very hard time swallowing throwing that cash away.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 9.11.21 AM.png (80.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 9.11.46 AM.png (140.2 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by parkerbrotha; 12-06-2017 at 10:35 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parkerbrotha For This Useful Post:
mudinmycrack (12-06-2017), sleeper (12-06-2017), w o 7 mucker (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 01:18 PM

motorboat is a name known to allmotorboat is a name known to allmotorboat is a name known to allmotorboat is a name known to allmotorboat is a name known to allmotorboat is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbrotha View Post
here's an example of what i went through for the wife's front struts on her Sequoia. Personally i wouldn't go Munroe again, but choose the Bilsteins as they would have been easier to install. In any case, pricing speaks for itself comparing Crappy and Rock. Again, i'm all for supporting the local guy if that local guy is being competitive. Add in Selinger PST and GST and you are now at $341 for crappy tire on sale. Off sale for them is $427. Rock Auto including shipping, any duties and taxes, Add a 5% discount code found anywhere on the web for Rock Auto and you are at $201 to your door 2-8 working days.

I'm going to put that $140+ dollars that i just saved in my pocket and buy some gas for the sled or take my kids out to do an activity. Ridgerider, if you were at 30% markup on these struts i would consider using local, but at 100%+ markup i have a very hard time swallowing throwing that cash away.
You also need to remember smaller business' don't have the buying power to get lower cost.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboat View Post
You also need to remember smaller business' don't have the buying power to get lower cost.
agree totally BUT you have to remember as well that garages are getting a large discount on their parts via NAPA or whoever they choose to do business with and they are able to mark it up significantly to pad their hourly rate. I don't think for a second that Canadian Tire isn't getting close to the same wholesale price point as Rock Auto. The mark-up is highway robbery.

Don't even get me started on hot water tanks, A/C or any HVAC product. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to parkerbrotha For This Useful Post:
motorboat (12-07-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 02:54 PM

jusme84 will become famous soon enough
Also very little brick and mortar to Rock Auto, no inventory to maintain like your local parts store, all just drop shipped from suppliers. But still a genius idea whoever came up with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jusme84 For This Useful Post:
sleeper (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 05:33 PM

sleeper is a jewel in the roughsleeper is a jewel in the roughsleeper is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboat View Post

Sure but how about the small guy just buys off Rock Auto then and I will pay him 30% more not 100-200%. Something is wrong here.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:43 PM

new to can am 800 has a spectacular aura aboutnew to can am 800 has a spectacular aura aboutnew to can am 800 has a spectacular aura about
I wasn't going to really say much on this topic but what the heck i totally agree that rock auto is very cheap has anyone done a warranty through them yet do they pay the shipping for the new part to come to you and pay the shipping back of the faulty part? How long does it take to get ur money back for the warranty? The over the counter parts price ya I get it higher than what our shop buys at but when we install the part and or if it fails within six month we get some warranty time from manufacturers not near our door rate ( unless u got commercial account at parts source they pay door rate ) anything after 6 months up to 12 monthsthe shop does the labour for free ( Mabey not every shop I understand but most) now if over the counter is cheaper than it is then we get questioned why are parts prices so high people would then say I can buy it at this place for this price everyone has bills to pay (employees,taxes,parts delivery cars etc). Again this is JMO
Old 12-06-2017, 07:49 PM

sleeper is a jewel in the roughsleeper is a jewel in the roughsleeper is a jewel in the rough
Maybe just me.....and one of my vehicles is new and on warranty but I run two other older ones at all time also. I have never or very rarely had problems with any part I have bought from anywhere. That includes my sleds, boats, atv, quad and waverunner.
Maybe just my luck but rarely do parts fail in my experience. So I will take the chance everyday.
That being said I have a vehicle with warranty and roadside assistance for extra reliability.

And if a part fails it might be electrical where there isn’t warranty or it’s something else in car shorting it and causing the issue in first place.
If you are worried buy 2 from rock auto and still cheaper.
My 2 cents.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:40 PM

jusme84 will become famous soon enough
I agree that a local repair shop can't be buying from Rock Auto and delivery drivers, stock, and warranty are all very good reasons why not. But when buying parts for myself none of those things matter because I've had my share of warranty denied on parts that I've bought at the local store, like wheels bearing they "send away for analysis" always come back as incorrect installation, like as a Journeyman Mech I don't know how to find a the torque spec and torque to spec? Or no receipt for a Moog ball joint that's supposed to have lifetime warranty. Most times I've tried to get warranty as an individual instead of a repair shop at local stores they've always played the "this guy's a schmuck and probably screwed it up while installing, we've sold hundreds and your'll the only one to ever have a problem" card. So for myself I'll take my chances with Rockauto
Old 12-06-2017, 11:36 PM
nod

Thanked 1,200 Times in 672 Posts
x4332 has a reputation beyond reputex4332 has a reputation beyond reputex4332 has a reputation beyond reputex4332 has a reputation beyond reputex4332 has a reputation beyond reputex4332 has a reputation beyond reputex4332 has a reputation beyond reputex4332 has a reputation beyond reputex4332 has a reputation beyond reputex4332 has a reputation beyond reputex4332 has a reputation beyond repute
2 years ago I ordered a rear wiper motor for an older town and country. Defective upon arrival. Called up RA and told them the issue and they sent me a replacement with a refund on my original shipping. And they expedited the replacement as I was going on a road trip. They moved mountains to help me out and I don't buy that much from them.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:43 PM

ridgerider will become famous soon enoughridgerider will become famous soon enough
I'm always interested what internet shoppers do for a living. I'm not saying they are bad, cause for some things I do it to. It just seems that the biggest complainers of local prices are a rip off compared to internet prices, often don't tell us what they do for a living. It would be interesting to know.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:01 AM
Phuck 4 wheels

Thanked 1,661 Times in 779 Posts
mudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant futuremudinmycrack has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerider View Post
I'm always interested what internet shoppers do for a living. I'm not saying they are bad, cause for some things I do it to. It just seems that the biggest complainers of local prices are a rip off compared to internet prices, often don't tell us what they do for a living. It would be interesting to know.
I work in Administration and I am involved dealing with a 1 million dollar budget so I know how to watch money and I watch mine even more..

Last edited by mudinmycrack; 12-07-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Barkerlakebob.....!!

Thanked 3,919 Times in 1,804 Posts
barkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
To answer your question directly, when I worked for a Crown Corp. I managed your money of which the Operating and Capitol budget of the Operations Department were funded.

I trust that satisfies your curiosity..........!!
mudinmycrack (12-08-2017), ridgerider (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:45 AM
GC IS EVRYTHING

Thanked 1,515 Times in 900 Posts
Ilovetoys has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetoys has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetoys has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetoys has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetoys has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetoys has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetoys has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetoys has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetoys has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetoys has a reputation beyond reputeIlovetoys has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I'm a miner who works for 4 1/2 months of the year and make stupid money and i love to fine deals
2007 650 H1 front and rear bumpers, HL springs, HL 2" lift, 27" Zilla's, snorked, re-jetted,
2006 F7 with some goodies
2005 ZR 900 SP EFI pushing 180 ponies
2002 edge x 700 with
2008 KQ 750 moose bumpers, 3" lift, HL springs, HL clutch kit, Custom Decals, Twin air, 29'5 LAWs
Old 12-07-2017, 09:51 AM

w o 7 mucker is a splendid one to beholdw o 7 mucker is a splendid one to beholdw o 7 mucker is a splendid one to beholdw o 7 mucker is a splendid one to beholdw o 7 mucker is a splendid one to beholdw o 7 mucker is a splendid one to beholdw o 7 mucker is a splendid one to beholdw o 7 mucker is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I really donít see your point in this comment. Own and operate a highway transport truck and cattle farm.

78 Harley Superglide. Custom stretched frame, and lowered
03 800 Rev.
77 moto-ski sonic 340ts
Old 12-07-2017, 10:48 AM

the point is that the majority don't want to overspend. Now that the internet is amass with deals and competition its a great thing for the consumer, FINALLY!

I'd rather put that extra money i saved into my pocket and not into the pocket of the owner so they can fill up their lifted 3500 duramax diesel heading out to their cabin at Lake of the Woods pulling their $100,000 wake board boat. LOL.

Honestly though, if i could find pricing in the city here that was similar or even 20% higher than RAuto, i would support that vendor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parkerbrotha For This Useful Post:
Fox1000 (12-07-2017), w o 7 mucker (12-07-2017)