If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > Camping

Old 09-15-2010, 07:54 PM

Derek700 has a spectacular aura aboutDerek700 has a spectacular aura about
Travel Trailers?

We are thinking of getting back into camping and a new travel trailer is where we have to start. I only have a 1/2 ton f150 with a 5.4 engine, I can't afford both a new truck and a new(or newer) trailer. So the truck will be staying. What is the good, the bad, and the ugly on different trailer brands. We are looking at a 24ish foot with a queen bed and all the comforts of home. It has to be a lightweight model. Are there some to avoid for quality issues? We looked at a pile online and a couple of lots. We are going to the RV show in a couple of weeks as well. I was going to get a Jumping Jack, because she never wanted to go anymore. A couple of comfortable trips this summer and know she wants to go in full out.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Sweater Puppets

Thanked 2,295 Times in 1,055 Posts
HRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond repute
Hard wall, not aluminum...you'll appreciate it the first time you get some hail. Buy a 3 season trailer, cooler in the summer and much warmer in the spring and fall. Okanagan is a great brand, built in BC. Kustom Koach and Travelaire are built in Red Deer and are also are really great brands. My next trailer is going to be a Kustom Koach. Their build quality is second to none, built for Canadian roads and not putt putting down an interstate.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:30 PM

We like the hard wall trailers. We would love to get one with a small slide, like the couch or dinette, it opens up a ton more room. This is the style we are looking for. We are not sold on any one brand, but would like to hear what ones to not buy. We like the floorplan with the slideout couch in place of the dinette.

http://www.kz-rv.com/coyote_lite/2011_CL230.html
Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 PM
canuckx2

canuckx2 has a spectacular aura aboutcanuckx2 has a spectacular aura about
We have a 29.5' Palamino 5th wheel we pull with our 2006 F150 ,5.4L with very little trouble. The trailer has a dry weight of 5887lbs, has one big slide out and we love it. Nothing quite like roughing it. LOL

Oh Ya, it has the slide out with the dinette and sofa like you are looking for and we bought it at CAN-AM trailer sales in Headingly, they were very good to us.

CANUCKX2
2007 POLARIS 500X2
winshield,winch & brushguard
Moose plow
2006 F-250 Super Duty-Super Crew 4x4
King Ranch

Last edited by canuckx2; 09-15-2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: More info
Old 09-15-2010, 10:52 PM
The Northern Star

PooPower is on a distinguished road
I agree with HRL, go with the fibreglass exterior, you will not be sorry.
My vote goes with Triple E trailers. Made locally, and good quality trailer.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:01 AM
Nozzleweed

Thanked 1,031 Times in 390 Posts
Nozzleweed has much to be proud ofNozzleweed has much to be proud ofNozzleweed has much to be proud ofNozzleweed has much to be proud ofNozzleweed has much to be proud ofNozzleweed has much to be proud ofNozzleweed has much to be proud ofNozzleweed has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooPower View Post
I agree with HRL, go with the fibreglass exterior, you will not be sorry.
My vote goes with Triple E trailers. Made locally, and good quality trailer.
I can second that. I worked for Triple E in the past and quality is their main focus for sure. They don't mess around. They are built for Canadian climate. Properly insulated etc. Some of the other makes leave something to be desired. For sure stay away from stick and tin. Fiberglass and alum. only.
24" LED light bar
5" cage chop
5 seater conversion
STM secondary

CEO Founder
WWW.YETIUTV.COM
Old 09-16-2010, 01:58 PM

Hillsiderambler is a glorious beacon of lightHillsiderambler is a glorious beacon of lightHillsiderambler is a glorious beacon of lightHillsiderambler is a glorious beacon of lightHillsiderambler is a glorious beacon of lightHillsiderambler is a glorious beacon of light
I also agree with the Tripl E series. Also, this being my own experience,
I prefer pulling the 5th wheel as to the travel trailer. Find it pulls much
better, especially when you have good crosswinds. JMO.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:00 PM
ziggers

ziggers is a glorious beacon of lightziggers is a glorious beacon of lightziggers is a glorious beacon of lightziggers is a glorious beacon of lightziggers is a glorious beacon of light
We have a "stick and tin" 1986 ford triple e motor home, from what I'm told the wood and tin or corigated siding is built more or less like a house. They are heavier and more rigid. Talking with someone I know at a dealer in winnipeg, quote" have more problems with delaminating and slides not working (binding) in the fibre glass aluminum framed rv's. I personally like the looks and weight of the fiberglass aluminum rv's, but they do flex alot on uneven ground. The tin on the wood construction is easily repaired at any dealer, delaminating fiberglass is a diferent issue. One thing when looking at RV's is their are several levels of quality in every brand that needs to be taken into account. What are cupboards contructed of, foam thickness on cushions, roof construction OSB or actual plywood, insulated floors, underbelly protection(Good for less drag also), frame construction (ie: frame I beams with a weld on hitch and bumper or one piece frame construction), who actually supplies the appliance warranty(trailer mfg or the individual appliance mfg), etc.. We were looking at a Jayco 29 BHS this winter at the show, compared to other campers of similar make and size these are some diff I saw: Jayco had rollers in cupboard, cupboard frons real wood. Cushions on seats and bunks were a good 2" thicker, under belly protection, plywood roofing, Jayco does all warranty in house, frame was better built were hitch and bumpers join, axles looked heavier. I may have been wrong when looking, but I sure didn't think their could be so much difference in RV's construction?
Bushhog 90,(THE HOG),
Magellan Triton 2000 GPS
2006 GMC Sierra (wish it was a Ridgeline)
2006 Honda Ridgeline (turn key and drive)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ziggers For This Useful Post:
cutarm (09-16-2010), Moosetracker (09-16-2010)
Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Quads add spice to life

Thanked 1,199 Times in 584 Posts
The Chef has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chef has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chef has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chef has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chef has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chef has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chef has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chef has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chef has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chef has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chef has a reputation beyond repute
Look for ducted furnace & air for quietness and also electric and gas water heater. We have double pane windows which is nice for any noise and keeping out the heat and cold. Storage you will see if it is enough once you look inside. Have fun shopping
2nd -2 - 350 Honda Foutrax
3rd - 06 Vinson
4th - The King 750,08
5th - 2011 Camo Commander 1000XT.
Bit of a break, bought a S2000 for now
Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 PM

Thanked 6,652 Times in 2,634 Posts
boak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond repute
some great deals out there for sure.
If you are going to trailer it (versus park it) CSA certification may be NB especially in SK. Not checking much in MB for it on the road but am told MPIC will likely be requiring it for licensing going forward.

Most of the CSA standards on a trailer have to do with the electrical and plumbing systems as well as the running gear.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:24 AM
ʞoɯɐ unɹ ɹoʇɐɹʇsıuıɯpɐ

Thanked 2,168 Times in 916 Posts
Snowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond repute
i think i know of a camper for you....
its a 24 or 25 ft Outback
i have a 28 and love it
this is my bro in laws camper and he was talking about selling it to get something bigger
its 3900 Lbs and has really close to the floor plan you posted.
the couch slides out. fiberglass. all the comforts, remote control heat and air ETC.
really nice shape for a 2002 trailer.
he tows it with a V8 Dakota - it has to work a bit but it pulls it so your 150 would walk away with it.
PM me if you want more info.

happy camping, we got back into it again and love it
been out 10 times this year and not ready to park it yet
might go out once more.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:36 PM

ZERT800 has much to be proud ofZERT800 has much to be proud ofZERT800 has much to be proud ofZERT800 has much to be proud ofZERT800 has much to be proud ofZERT800 has much to be proud ofZERT800 has much to be proud ofZERT800 has much to be proud ofZERT800 has much to be proud of
Is your heart set on a trailer, you can get some pretty sweet deals on motorhomes from both Caanada and the US. We got a 1997 36' Fleetwood Bounder with a 14' slide for under $25k. I always thought a truck and trailer was the way to go until we got a motorhome. I would rather pull something small with something big rather than pull something big with something small (if you can figure out what I'm saying). I find it easier towing a car behind the motorhome than pulling a camper behind a truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0004.jpg (576.4 KB, 21 views)
Ditch_pickle (09-17-2010), TOOTHPICK (09-17-2010)
Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 PM

Bent will become famous soon enoughBent will become famous soon enough
Respectfully, I'd have to disagree.
I've found a 5th wheel to be easier to tow than to drive a large motorhome. They seem to be much less of a handful in cross-winds and leave you the option of having your boat and commuter vehicle (the tow unit) along at the same time.
Class C's are a tad more comfortable due to the non-bus style seating position, but at least with a 5th wheel, you can put the tow unit to work when it's detatched.

All have their advantages though.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:52 AM
want it got to have it...

CrazyFrog is a jewel in the roughCrazyFrog is a jewel in the roughCrazyFrog is a jewel in the rough
Ziggers is right, the Jayco is nice. We bought a 28BHS (bunkhouse http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...7/392127b0.jpg) at the show this year, doesn't have the biggest slide, but it's nice and low and tows great. MY neighbour used to tow campers back and forth from the US to Virden (or wherever) and when he saw it he said "good pick. Best campers for towing" so that made me feel better about our decision.

Oh...and we tow with a 5.4 Ford too. Oink oink...

Hey, Snowman...how come I've never seen you anywhere? Mind you you're driving a Dodge now, so I wouldn't recognize you anyway! LOL

Last edited by CrazyFrog; 09-18-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:23 AM

Thanked 2,533 Times in 739 Posts
cutarm has a reputation beyond reputecutarm has a reputation beyond reputecutarm has a reputation beyond reputecutarm has a reputation beyond reputecutarm has a reputation beyond reputecutarm has a reputation beyond reputecutarm has a reputation beyond reputecutarm has a reputation beyond reputecutarm has a reputation beyond reputecutarm has a reputation beyond reputecutarm has a reputation beyond repute
My wife and I also liked the Jayco 29BHS G2 model and bought one at the show in Regina last Febuary. It is 1/2 ton towable and for what we use it for it works great. With the G2 model the power awning is a nice feature for my wife ( & me 2). We also like the couch across from the table, counter space is good and lots of storage under the bunk beds because of the optional larger door, which is also a good safety feature for a emergency exit.

There are a lot of different trailers out there so pick one that works for your needs and you will enjoy it for years......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6532.JPG (428.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6543.JPG (549.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6546.JPG (598.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6547.JPG (424.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0857.JPG (145.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0865.JPG (222.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6702.JPG (127.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6703.JPG (121.1 KB, 15 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to cutarm For This Useful Post:
Ditch_pickle (09-24-2010)
Old 09-19-2010, 07:25 AM
ʞoɯɐ unɹ ɹoʇɐɹʇsıuıɯpɐ

Thanked 2,168 Times in 916 Posts
Snowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFrog View Post

Hey, Snowman...how come I've never seen you anywhere? Mind you you're driving a Dodge now, so I wouldn't recognize you anyway! LOL
either on the road or camping this year.
wouldn't recognize me ? cant miss me !!!
its like driving a bright red fire truck around !
i'll pick ya up for lunch one of these days again.
show ya how a real truck pulls LOL
Old 09-19-2010, 12:31 PM
bernie

Bert will become famous soon enoughBert will become famous soon enough
My suggestion is to make sure you can get in the fridge when the slide is in. Many campers you can't. I find it nice when stopping for a rest break to be able to get in the fridge. I also have a centre kitchen. I have heard that on rough roads, some people have had trouble with drawers not staying closed with a rear kitchen. I have a fifth wheel with fiberglass exterior. It does have its disadvantages as noted above but I have had it through two hailstorms so far. I bought fiberglass because of hailstorms. Also try to find out the thickness of the rubber roof material as some are quite thin. If they will let you, crawl around on your hands and knees on the roof. Mine is nice and solid but on my friends newer trailer there is so much give I am afraid I might go through.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:09 PM

It has been a busy week to get back to this. We almost pulled the trigger on a Jayco Eagle 26rks, but came to our senses as we want to hold off until spring time. The trailer was 2010 model at a deal that was cheaper than Camping world in the states. We are nearly sold on the Jayco brand, they seem to be top notch. We are going to an RV show this weekend. I have found a couple used ones in the states that seem to be decent in price so I know there are deals out there to be had.

http://www.jayco.com/php/products/fl...43&mod_id=1235
Old 09-23-2010, 12:39 PM

Deerdigger has a spectacular aura aboutDeerdigger has a spectacular aura aboutDeerdigger has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutarm View Post
My wife and I also liked the Jayco 29BHS G2 model and bought one at the show in Regina last Febuary. It is 1/2 ton towable and for what we use it for it works great. With the G2 model the power awning is a nice feature for my wife ( & me 2). We also like the couch across from the table, counter space is good and lots of storage under the bunk beds because of the optional larger door, which is also a good safety feature for a emergency exit.

There are a lot of different trailers out there so pick one that works for your needs and you will enjoy it for years......
whats the gross weight on that baby if you dont mind me asking?
is it aluminum frame or wood frame structure?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:56 PM
bernie

Bert will become famous soon enoughBert will become famous soon enough
I don't know what the rules are in BC but here in Manitoba once the GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight rating) is equal to or greater than 10 000 pounds a higher class drivers license is required - a class 3.

Tags
trailers, travel