If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > Snowmobile General Discussions

Old 12-19-2016, 08:41 AM
Foot

Foot is on a distinguished road
Need a snowmobile for grooming cross country ski trails

Hello,what are people using to groom cross country ski trails? Looking for a sled for this use and what is out there for sale. Anybody got ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Foot For This Useful Post:
french rock (02-09-2017)
Old 12-19-2016, 12:00 PM

Thanked 6,661 Times in 2,640 Posts
boak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond repute
We have one of these. They call it a touring / work cross-over and has fabulous flotation even in the real deepest snow with the longer wider track and the DS2 ski's that are bigger as well.

Its the Rev-XU chassis built to work with all the luxuries to boot as well.
It comes with a Warn 1500# front and rear winch option.

(BRP with a 155" long by 20" wide track with 2spd synco mesh transmission)

It has no problems at all pulling a sled with 600#'s of wood in it as long as sled is not frozen to the ground.

Start in low then once rolling slap it into high.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:33 PM

Thanked 6,661 Times in 2,640 Posts
boak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond repute
or.... and I remember seeing Bob from Crikside in Steinbach earlier this year had some prior year AC BearCats.... they too are built to work and are very capable for pulling a XC Ski Groomer would be no problem for these either.

They even make a specialized Groomer Special built for the job.

Bob is also a sponsor here on Trackshare to boot so he deserves our support when possible.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to boak For This Useful Post:
Foot (12-19-2016), JeffGordon (12-19-2016), King Of Bling (12-19-2016), Lazy Cat (12-20-2016), TOOTHPICK (12-19-2016), Winslow (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Foot

Thanks for the input.Maybe Bob could let me know what he has that would work.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:11 PM

Thanked 2,720 Times in 1,363 Posts
criksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond repute
We have 2 2016 Groomer Specials with 2 speed and 3 banger Yamaha engine rear work light and beacon,winch mounted in front,Fivth wheel hitc availability wide skis,heavy duty rear hitch setup.rEALLY A WORK HARD UNIT with no equal.Also got some rebates on right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to criksidebob For This Useful Post:
Foot (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 07:59 PM
Foot

Thanks bob,but i think it is a little out of my price-range for the new ones. This is what i am running now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2577.jpg (566.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 12-23-2016, 11:20 AM

05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot View Post
Thanks bob,but i think it is a little out of my price-range for the new ones. This is what i am running now.
How does that sled handle the track setter?

If the old relic pulls it fine, look for a simple 2 up touring indy trail. Reliable tough machines. If the budget allows gear it down pretty low and put a decent lug track under it.

I have a home made 4x8ft trail groomer I use at our cabin to "groom" our trails with. I use a short track indy trail. It pulls fine. I had it geared down in the past but when I put reverse on it ended up geared about stock again. It can get hard on belts if your not careful but I just use a brain. If I gear down low again I go all year on a belt easily.

The old work sleds guys want way too much money for them still. When a normal fan cooled sled can do the job most the time and worth something and easy to sell when your done. Plus more fun for the times you want to just go for a cruise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 05xc7 For This Useful Post:
Foot (12-24-2016), gtrussell (12-23-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 07:51 AM
Foot

Thanks for your input on the trail grooming sled. I was thinking the same as you discussed. And yes the old snow cruiser does handle the track setter well. It doesn't go fast but that is one thing to remember is that slow and steady grooms the best trails.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foot For This Useful Post:
gtrussell (12-24-2016), Winslow (12-28-2016)
Old 02-08-2017, 05:42 PM
Foot

Has anyone out there have a leveler, for levelling snow for cross country ski trails ?
Old 02-08-2017, 06:09 PM

Taz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond repute
Leveling Groomer

Quote:
Has anyone out there have a leveler, for levelling snow for cross country ski trails ?
I made one similar to the HISS groomers and it works good. I pull it with a Grizzly on tracks.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:57 AM
Foot

Do you have pictures of it? as well as dimentions of how to build it? or a site were I could check it out?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:27 AM

Thanked 2,720 Times in 1,363 Posts
criksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond repute
Just get a BEARCAT XTE 570 FANcooled.White Shell Park has 10 of these that we supplied.The oldest one has 15000 miles on it and has not been opened and still going strong.Pretty hard to beat those Suzuki sled engines for durability.
The Following User Says Thank You to criksidebob For This Useful Post:
Foot (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 08:11 PM
Foot

Thanks criksidebob but I purchased a workhorse,but now looking for a leveller.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:39 AM

Taz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond reputeTaz has a reputation beyond repute
Groomer

Quote:
Do you have pictures of it? as well as dimentions of how to build it? or a site were I could check it out?
Here is the web site http://www.tundratrailtech.com/ There is a video of my groomer on this site
Foot (02-11-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:00 AM

05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold
I built a groomer that I pull. Its 4x8', I used 1.5" angle iron for the frame. It has a forward facing cutter bar that is serrated and a rear facing packing bar that is smooth. It wont cut this hard icy snow up, but it will level my trails out nicely in normal snow conditions, I usually groom them just before supper at the cabin, then by the time we ride out they are set up nice and hard. I need to stay on top of the grooming to keep the trails decent for the winter. They make a great walking trail also. I don't have any pictures of it but its really simple and fairly light weight.
The Following User Says Thank You to 05xc7 For This Useful Post:
Foot (02-14-2017)

Tags
country, cross, grooming, snowmobile, trails