If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > Canadian GPS Tracks > Manitoba

Old 08-02-2014, 11:29 AM

pjolicoeur is on a distinguished road
Hey guys I've got a question for the sno-man ppl. Is a quad with mat-tracks (or similar) on it allowed on your trials if a permit is bought ?? Or does that not qualify it for use ?? Don't want to bye a sled but putting my quad on tracks has always seemed attractive.....
Old 08-02-2014, 12:21 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Thanked 1,598 Times in 586 Posts
polaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant future
They aren't "our trails", we just have permission to use them. Officially a quad with tracks does not meet the definition of a snowmobile, so Snoman says no. Snopasses are only mandatory for snowmobiles.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:45 PM
XTP

Ziptie is a splendid one to beholdZiptie is a splendid one to beholdZiptie is a splendid one to beholdZiptie is a splendid one to beholdZiptie is a splendid one to beholdZiptie is a splendid one to beholdZiptie is a splendid one to behold
Officially a quad with tracks does meet the definition of Manitoba offroad act as a snowmobile however snoman wont sell you a permit to ride the trails.
Unofficially quads on tracks are not much fun on a groomed trail anyway and more fun on the rivers and ditches with more deep snow.
I dont avoid the snoman trails but I don't either stay off of them if they are going in the direction I want to travel.
2009 Renegade 500
2008 XT400
Old 08-02-2014, 01:49 PM
The Devil's Advocate

polaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziptie View Post
Officially a quad with tracks does meet the definition of Manitoba offroad act as a snowmobile however snoman wont sell you a permit to ride the trails.
Unofficially quads on tracks are not much fun on a groomed trail anyway and more fun on the rivers and ditches with more deep snow.
I dont avoid the snoman trails but I don't either stay off of them if they are going in the direction I want to travel.
Not if its over 1000 lbs.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:53 PM
XTP

Ziptie is a splendid one to beholdZiptie is a splendid one to beholdZiptie is a splendid one to beholdZiptie is a splendid one to beholdZiptie is a splendid one to beholdZiptie is a splendid one to beholdZiptie is a splendid one to behold
Unless it is a SXS it should be under 1000lbs
A Canam Outlander 1000xt with Power steering (should be worst case scenario) is 759lbs
Tatou 4s is 70lbs each. Each factory wheel is at least 20lbs each so net gain of 200lbs.

Still under 1000lbs at 959lbs.
2009 Renegade 500
2008 XT400

Last edited by Ziptie; 08-02-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:14 AM
4Wheel Aficionado

radmacks is on a distinguished road
Interesting to see that the province has designated All year round vehicle trails in Mars that cross snoman trails and vice versa. Looks like I should have no problem driving there this winter. I guess I will have to print this one and keep it in the glove box lol.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/wi...bsite_2013.pdf
Old 08-03-2014, 10:45 AM
The Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmacks View Post
Interesting to see that the province has designated All year round vehicle trails in Mars that cross snoman trails and vice versa. Looks like I should have no problem driving there this winter. I guess I will have to print this one and keep it in the glove box lol.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/wi...bsite_2013.pdf
You always could drive any trail in Mars year-round (until the trail management plan takes effect). Once it does you will need to stay on the designated routes. Not sure what you are getting at here??

Old 08-03-2014, 01:16 PM
4Wheel Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris_dave View Post
You always could drive any trail in Mars year-round (until the trail management plan takes effect). Once it does you will need to stay on the designated routes. Not sure what you are getting at here??
a safe place to go in the winter without fearing for my safety from (I own winter) snowmobilers
Old 08-03-2014, 01:26 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmacks View Post
a safe place to go in the winter without fearing for my safety from (I own winter) snowmobilers
It was always safe, as you could travel any of the trails there at any time. In my opinion it will now be less safe, as the same number of users must share less trails, and only keep on the designated routes. Doesn't sound like you are aware of the situation there...

Old 08-03-2014, 01:49 PM
4Wheel Aficionado

I posted a couple pages back about a guy representing sno man with physical violence because I was on a quad in a public ditch in font of my property on public land. Some of the attitudes around here lately have brought those memories to surface

Quote:
It was always safe, as you could travel any of the trails there at any time. In my opinion it will now be less safe, as the same number of users must share less trails, and only keep on the designated routes. Doesn't sound like you are aware of the situation there...
Quote:
Old 07-03-2017, 04:18 AM

Trail_Rider is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartman-52 View Post
- Regarding Trans Canada Trail rumors/concerns. The trail is largely completed and the last stretch called Boarder to Beaches (Ontario border to Grand Beach) is the last leg. Completion from Pine Falls to Grand Beach through the Belair Forest is now being worked on. Because of the significant cost per kilometer for construction and the fact that there are already endless existing trails, there is little point in building new trail through this area. Rather, existing trails will be posted with directional TCT signage as has been done on other parts of the province. Because these are multi use trails now, Trails Manitoba does not have any intentions to "take over" or restrict other users of these resource roads. Only new trails specifically built under permit by Trails Manitoba are designated as green way trails and designated for non motorized use because they cannot handle ATV traffic. Unfortunately, many sections of trails custom built and paid for by TCT in eastern Manitoba have been damaged by ORV traffic further adding to the image problem of the ORV community.
Funny you should say they won't "take over or restrict" any trails, they have now blocked the trail access behind the Sand Bar Motor Inn in Grand Marais to Sunset Beach saying it's the Trans Canada Trail and no motorized vehicles are allowed to be on the Trans Canada Trail. I have been riding that trail for almost 40 years, and I'm sure others have been riding it longer than myself. How about the fact the Trans Canada Trail goes right down the main road in Grand Marais as well, should I sell my car too? That trail is our only ORV road access out of the area, so everyone in the area is now screwed if they want to go out for a ride this summer. I'm sure the people walking that trail or riding a bicycle (good luck with that too as it's not very suitable for that either) will come into the area and spend their money on groceries, gas and restaurants in the area much more than the ORV riders used to do every year *NOT*. Summer is short and the local businesses need to make their profits while they can, and this is just going to hurt them even more and maybe shut some down if they can't sustain over the winter, which will affect everyone in the area, not just Grand Marais. This needs to be changed ASAP!
The Following User Says Thank You to Trail_Rider For This Useful Post:
ATV Guy (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 04:55 AM

ATV Guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Rider View Post
Funny you should say they won't "take over or restrict" any trails, they have now blocked the trail access behind the Sand Bar Motor Inn in Grand Marais to Sunset Beach saying it's the Trans Canada Trail and no motorized vehicles are allowed to be on the Trans Canada Trail. I have been riding that trail for almost 40 years, and I'm sure others have been riding it longer than myself. How about the fact the Trans Canada Trail goes right down the main road in Grand Marais as well, should I sell my car too? That trail is our only ORV road access out of the area, so everyone in the area is now screwed if they want to go out for a ride this summer. I'm sure the people walking that trail or riding a bicycle (good luck with that too as it's not very suitable for that either) will come into the area and spend their money on groceries, gas and restaurants in the area much more than the ORV riders used to do every year *NOT*. Summer is short and the local businesses need to make their profits while they can, and this is just going to hurt them even more and maybe shut some down if they can't sustain over the winter, which will affect everyone in the area, not just Grand Marais. This needs to be changed ASAP!
I totally agree with you, I have also been using these trails for the last 20+ years, how can they just take over these ATV trails and ban ATVs with no input?!? What am I missing here?!?
Old 09-01-2017, 07:50 AM

chrisN has a spectacular aura aboutchrisN has a spectacular aura aboutchrisN has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATV Guy View Post
I totally agree with you, I have also been using these trails for the last 20+ years, how can they just take over these ATV trails and ban ATVs with no input?!? What am I missing here?!?
As was covered in another thread, that land is private property. Only input needed is from the property owner.
28" silver backs
Snorkelled

Ballz deep
Old 09-01-2017, 08:35 AM

Hartman-52 is a jewel in the roughHartman-52 is a jewel in the roughHartman-52 is a jewel in the roughHartman-52 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
What you are missing here is that the TCT did NOT take over the rail bed south of Grand Marais. Read the thread......it is PRIVATE property and has been for decades. The two owners do not want motorized users on their rail bed. Anyone riding on there until now has been doing so by trespassing. Please review the facts. Is it not the right of a private land owner to decide how and who uses their land?
- 2016 Ski Doo Renegade 1200
- 2006 Ski Doo Renegade 600 SDI
- 1964 Ski Doo BR64 Olympic
Old 09-01-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
What you are missing here is that the TCT did NOT take over the rail bed south of Grand Marais. Read the thread......it is PRIVATE property and has been for decades. The two owners do not want motorized users on their rail bed. Anyone riding on there until now has been doing so by trespassing. Please review the facts. Is it not the right of a private land owner to decide how and who uses their land?
So what you're saying is the parts of the trail from beaconia to Grand Marais that are closed off to ATVs is owned privately?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2017, 10:47 AM

Trail_Rider is on a distinguished road

If you ride a quad or other ORV I think you should be worried about the plans of the TCT and your riding areas. They don't list quads in their 6 preferred activities, and the line from Beaconia to Pine Falls is still under development. They don't even show the line from Beaconia to Grand Marais which has been taken over. Until the TCT came around there was never an issue using this line for quads and other ORVs. They have a hidden agenda and don't like ORVs and are happy to block the trails after consulting private land owners. I wonder if they encourage it as well...

Still pissed off on what has happened to Grand Marais and the East Beaches to Beaconia, but I accept it for what it is. Just think we need to keep an eye on these TCT people and make our voices heard so they don't destroy all our trails. Next will be the Beaconia to Pine Falls line and North Star Trail. Watch out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trail_Rider For This Useful Post:
ATV Guy (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 05:59 PM

Hartman-52 is a jewel in the roughHartman-52 is a jewel in the roughHartman-52 is a jewel in the roughHartman-52 is a jewel in the rough
Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail_Rider View Post
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com

If you ride a quad or other ORV I think you should be worried about the plans of the TCT and your riding areas. They don't list quads in their 6 preferred activities, and the line from Beaconia to Pine Falls is still under development. They don't even show the line from Beaconia to Grand Marais which has been taken over. Until the TCT came around there was never an issue using this line for quads and other ORVs. They have a hidden agenda and don't like ORVs and are happy to block the trails after consulting private land owners. I wonder if they encourage it as well...

Still pissed off on what has happened to Grand Marais and the East Beaches to Beaconia, but I accept it for what it is. Just think we need to keep an eye on these TCT people and make our voices heard so they don't destroy all our trails. Next will be the Beaconia to Pine Falls line and North Star Trail. Watch out.

Know your facts before you start all kinds of false rumors! The maps you posted are way out of date so go to the TCT web site for the exact routing. Also, the TCT naturally doesn't show ATV riding as a preferred activity because that's not of interest to their organization. Meanwhile, there are thousands of km's of TCT trails on multi use rail beds and along roadways and highways and they don't show semi trucks as a preferred activity on those trails either. The rail line from Pine Falls to Gull Lake IS A MULTI USE TRAIL approved by the RM of Alexander for our Belair ATV Club to manage and sign. TCT is another allowed multi use on that corridor but I do not expect a lot of hiking over that distance. Our ATV Club just spent a significant amount of time and money on repairing a large washout on one of the many trestle bridges miles from Stead on the rail bed to Pine Falls. We will also be purchasing and installing safety railings on all the trestle bridges and also signing the trail. Instead of all your complaining, why don't you join our ATV Club for a few bucks and help offset the operating costs? http://www.belairatvclub.ca/join-our-club/

It costs us thousands of dollars to buy materials and get heavy equipment into our job sites to do repairs on bridges and signing and where do you think this money comes from? Regarding the North Star Trail, again you are TOTALLY WRONG about its status and again spreading useless fear mongering instead of getting on board with the club and keeping informed.

Our ATV Club has been negotiating for over a year with the Government of Manitoba to allow our club to designate, sign and manage over 150 km's of ATV trails in the Belair Forest INCLUDING the North Star Trail and Ridge Trails and I am optimistic we will be successful. Coincidently, the North Star Trail will also be signed this fall as a TCT route but NOT at the exclusion of all other users. The North Stat Trail is a major forest resource road and will NOT be closed down by the TCT.....period......end of story so quit spreading this needless fear mongering!

I am the first to agree with you that it is too bad that the rail bed south of Grand Marais was restricted from quads but for the tenth time, it is private land. Get over it and move on and look at the positive things we are doing for the ATV community in the east beaches. There are over 300 to 400 km's of trails for ATV's to use out here so quit harping on a few km's that private land owners closed (because of late night noise and tresspass abuse)! Years of use until now have been by tresspass....period.....end of another story! We are also going to pursue multi use motorized trail status from Gull Lake all the way to East Selkirk.

Just about every one of likely 50 subdivisions in the east beaches region is land locked in one way or another from dirrect access to the forest trails including myself at Grand Pines where I now have to drive two miles along highway ditches to the trails instead of crossing a fairway. We could cross a fairway for years until some idiot ripped the crap out of the golf course greens on a snowmobile. All it took was one thoughtless act by an idiot to ruin it for all 55 residents who lost our privileges. Have you talked to the Snowden and Mickalish families who own the closed section for the facts on their trail closure instead of blaming the TCT for its closure? Over the years, many ATV riders have crapped in their own nest in subdivisions by making noise, racing and being a general nuisance and spoiled it for responsible riders. Many of us in our club are working hard to secure and expand our ATV riding privileges in the east beaches region so please look at all that you have at your doorstep rather than cast all this negativity and false rumors. A positive approach goes a long way.

Last edited by Hartman-52; 09-04-2017 at 09:05 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hartman-52 For This Useful Post:
JeffGordon (09-03-2017), tonym63 (09-04-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 09:11 PM

Bruin is on a distinguished road
Well said.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruin For This Useful Post:
Hartman-52 (09-03-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Z

Know your facts before you start all kinds of false rumors! The maps you posted are way out of date so go to the TCT web site for the exact routing. Also, the TCT naturally doesn't show ATV riding as a preferred activity because that's not of interest to their organization. Meanwhile, there are thousands of km's of TCT trails on multi use rail beds and along roadways and highways and they don't show semi trucks as a preferred activity on those trails either. The rail line from Pine Falls to Gull Lake IS A MULTI USE TRAIL approved by the RM of Alexander for our Belair ATV Club to manage and sign. TCT is another allowed multi use on that corridor but I do not expect a lot of hiking over that distance. Our ATV Club just spent a significant amount of time and money on repairing a large washout on one of the many trestle bridges miles from Stead on the rail bed to Pine Falls. We will also be purchasing and installing safety railings on all the trestle bridges and also signing the trail. Instead of all your complaining, why don't you join our ATV Club for a few bucks and help offset the operating costs? http://www.belairatvclub.ca/join-our-club/

It costs us thousands of dollars to buy materials and get heavy equipment into our job sites to do repairs on bridges and signing and where do you think this money comes from? Regarding the North Star Trail, again you are TOTALLY WRONG about its status and again spreading useless fear mongering instead of getting on board with the club and keeping informed.

Our ATV Club has been negotiating for over a year with the Government of Manitoba to allow our club to designate, sign and manage over 150 km's of ATV trails in the Belair Forest INCLUDING the North Star Trail and Ridge Trails and I am optimistic we will be successful. Coincidently, the North Star Trail will also be signed this fall as a TCT route but NOT at the exclusion of all other users. The North Stat Trail is a major forest resource road and will NOT be closed down by the TCT.....period......end of story so quit spreading this needless fear mongering!

I am the first to agree with you that it is too bad that the rail bed south of Grand Marais was restricted from quads but for the tenth time, it is private land. Get over it and move on and look at the positive things we are doing for the ATV community in the east beaches. There are over 300 to 400 km's of trails for ATV's to use out here so quit harping on a few km's that private land owners closed (because of late night noise and tresspass abuse)! Years of use until now have been by tresspass....period.....end of another story! We are also going to pursue multi use motorized trail status from Gull Lake all the way to East Selkirk.

Just about every one of likely 50 subdivisions in the east beaches region is land locked in one way or another from dirrect access to the forest trails including myself at Grand Pines where I now have to drive two miles along highway ditches to the trails instead of crossing a fairway. We could cross a fairway for years until some idiot ripped the crap out of the golf course greens on a snowmobile. All it took was one thoughtless act by an idiot to ruin it for all 55 residents who lost our privileges. Have you talked to the Snowden and Mickalish families who own the closed section for the facts on their trail closure instead of blaming the TCT for its closure? Over the years, many ATV riders have crapped in their own nest in subdivisions by making noise, racing and being a general nuisance and spoiled it for responsible riders. Many of us in our club are working hard to secure and expand our ATV riding privileges in the east beaches region so please look at all that you have at your doorstep rather than cast all this negativity and false rumors. A positive approach goes a long way.
I just find it quite a coincidence that the owner's had no issues untill the TCT took over and simply added a few signs and rocks. I agree the owner's are in their right, but to say that TCT had no influence is bs

The Following User Says Thank You to ATV Guy For This Useful Post:
Trail_Rider (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I just find it quite a coincidence that the owner's had no issues untill the TCT took over and simply added a few signs and rocks. I agree the owner's are in their right, but to say that TCT had no influence is bs

You are stating an opinion not facts! The facts are that when a route was sought all the way through the east beaches region, and the two families who owned the rail sections were approached by TCT for access to their land, they reluctantly agreed but only if certain conditions were met including no motorized use which was clearly written into the land owners agreement. TCT does not dictate to private land owner what the trails status shall be. If you knew the facts you will realize that while TCT prefers non motorized greenways, they accept yellow trail multi use status over thousands of trail KM's. In Newfoundland 95% of the rail trail across the entire province is multi use. In Alberta over 300 KM's of rail trail are multi use. In BC the majority of the TCT is on rail beds and is multi use.

Not one person has taken the time to talk to the two families involved with this little trail closure to find the facts and report back on here why they don't want motorized use or offer to buy these rail sections yet the fact that the land owners requested this closure is called BS and that it's TCT's entire fault. Opinions are not facts. Get a few concerned ATV riders together and go talk to the two land owners and see if you can get a concession. Why hasn't anyone talked to the land owners?

Last edited by Hartman-52; 09-04-2017 at 12:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hartman-52 For This Useful Post:
millertime (09-08-2017)

Tags
belair, forest