If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > Canadian GPS Tracks > Manitoba

Old 03-17-2011, 01:10 PM

oldccm is a jewel in the rougholdccm is a jewel in the rougholdccm is a jewel in the rougholdccm is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down Werner Lake road in ontario/ rd 315 in manitoba

I was hoping that someone could tell me what the deal is with Werner Lake Road. It is Rd 315 in manitoba and turns into Werner Lake road at the MB/ON border at Davidson Lake in Nopiming park. I know there is a $500 fine for travel on it. Is it a closed provincial road? or is it a private mining road? It doesn't make much sense that you can't use it. I understand they don't want you going to the old mine site, but the first 11km of road offer great access to numerous lakes along the way. I am hoping someone out there can shed some light on this mess.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:37 PM

Thanked 6,594 Times in 2,611 Posts
boak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond repute
good question... I think it is OK.

As background local cobolt exploration going on. I spent many a night camping and fishing in the area but that goes back a few years

Locals will try to tell you it is a real big no / no. Large signs posted saying no go. They will stop you and tell you you need a permit on your windshield to use the area. They want no outsiders in the area!! but it is mostly crown land.

BUT it is mostly crown land and lots of people camp back lakes and fish.

Recently (2010) Ontario court stopped 8 people fishing in the area and charged them $3200. Charges were based on the fact the had a permanent fish camp set up on the lake. Metal structure, etc... In Ontario you can back country camp but for max 21 days so.... they were charged based on the permanent style building that they exceeded the 21 days. It was beleived they were using same area for more than 10 years.

So charges for using permanent camp on crown land not for using the road, crown land, etc...

If illegal to use the crown land or road sure they would have thrown those charges as well.

Call the DNR in Kenora as they admin the area and they will give you the "official" word you are looking for.

The Following User Says Thank You to boak For This Useful Post:
justgiver (03-17-2011)
Old 03-17-2011, 02:01 PM

oldccm is a jewel in the rougholdccm is a jewel in the rougholdccm is a jewel in the rougholdccm is a jewel in the rough
werner lake road

http://lakesuperiornews.ca/Crime/Set...legalCamp.aspx

there is a sign saying you can't use the road, i can't remember exactly what it says as i am usually driving past it at 30mph. 3 of the people fined for illegally camping were also fined $500 for travelling on the road. I am trying to determine if it is only cars/trucks that are banned (as i only use the road for snowmobile access). If the province owns the road, or is it the mine. Or lastly, can i acquire a permit. I called the local DNR and they were less than helpful. They told me that i could not travel on the road, but could not tell me if it was a private road, or the reason it was closed to travel. I have heard rumours that the local lodge owners push to keep the road closed, so they can keep it to themselves. I would like to see the first 10km opened to travel to allow access to about 10 lakes just over the border. On a side note i have my suspicions that they keep that road closed because Ontario likes the fact there is only 1 way in from Manitoba to Ontario through West Hawk/Ingolf.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Sweater Puppets

Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,050 Posts
HRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldccm View Post
On a side note i have my suspicions that they keep that road closed because Ontario likes the fact there is only 1 way in from Manitoba to Ontario through West Hawk/Ingolf.
Really? That road basically goes nowhere.

I've used that road coming from Halley's camp on the sled, never noticed any signs but wasn't really looking either. A lot of logging/mining roads are closed to public travel in order to protect remote fishing areas used by tourist outfitters. It's a kind of underhanded way of ensuring that these tourist lodges are the only ones with fisherman/hunters in the area.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:24 PM

There is only 1 sign, and it is at the MB/ON border at Davidson Lake. I have heard from a couple people now that believe it has to do with the few fly-in lodges around there.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Gotta hunt!

lowandslow is a name known to alllowandslow is a name known to alllowandslow is a name known to alllowandslow is a name known to alllowandslow is a name known to alllowandslow is a name known to all
CHainsaw. Kinda like shoot, shovel and shut up.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Sweater Puppets

HRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowandslow View Post
CHainsaw. Kinda like shoot, shovel and shut up.
That's a little fine called destruction of public property...criminal code.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:57 AM

kingpin700 is on a distinguished road
if its destruction of public property why can't the public use the road. I have a place at bird river ill be looking for this road this summer and see how far we can go.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:41 PM

werner lake road

I worked on figuring this mess out for about a month this winter. Basically without making it too complicated, the road is now overseen by MNR Ontario. When the road was first built it was for the mine at Werner Lake, during the 50's the mine controlled the road and the province became worried that new mining operations would be constructed on that road. So, the province decided to make that entire are a protected area to stop development, but because Werner Lake mine was already there they could not destroy the road. After they put the area into protection they were able to "close" the road, the only traffic allowed on the road is by permit for mining purposes. I have talked to both the MNR and the person in charge at the mine, both have told me and provided documentation that the road can't be used by anyone. The province eventually would like to destroy the road, but that is unlikely as the mine is now hoping to go back into production. From what I understand, you are allowed to walk on the road, because if the road was not there you are allowed to walk on crown land. There is also a canoe route through Ryerson you can take, because right of way navigation supercedes the closed road. If you want more info you can PM me and I will email you the laws I recieved on closing the road. At first I was very upset that this road was closed, but after talking to some of the locals and people that use the area for the last 30+ years. I realized that the fishing and wildlife that I enjoy in that area would not be there if people had been able to develop and use that area. There are a couple different routes into some of the lakes around Werner Lake, but it isn't as easy as the road and in some cases is quite a long hike/canoe. Hope this helps
Old 04-24-2011, 12:32 AM

kingpin700 is on a distinguished road
this does help but still would like to look into it further if this road is closed to traffic why can't we quad it and the laws are already there in place to stop develop these areas i would think that they will tear out a section of road like they have in other areas of nopiming to help stop poachers. all I'm looking to do is a few days of camping on a new lake i've never fished before
hope to talk to you some time oldccm and thx for the info
Old 04-24-2011, 08:41 AM

werner lake road

here is the response i recieved from Ontario MNR. If you want more info you can contact them or PM me as I also have some more emails and files from land owners in the area.

Thank you for your e-mail of March 4, 2011 requesting clarification on
the specifics surrounding traveling by snowmobile on the Werner Lake
Road. We offer the following information.

The Werner Lake Road and surrounding area is currently covered by a
Restricted Area Order which was implemented under the Ontario Public
Lands Act in 1963. The Werner Lake Road received location approval for
the purpose of mineral exploration and mining development only. As a
result of a large number of mining properties becoming patented
(Private) lands under the Mining Act, there was concern amongst various
provincial agencies of the potential for a large amount of uncontrolled
recreational and commercial development. The Order was therefore
implemented to restrict the area to mining related activities only,
consistent with the terms of the original road approval.

The Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) has maintained signage on the
Werner Lake Road at the Maintoba /Ontario border as early as 1975
indicating the Restricted Area and that a Travel Permit is required to
travel the road. Between 1957 and 1983, Land Use Permits were issued to
the mining company in order to control access to the area. On May 24,
1983, after the last Land Use Permit was cancelled, the Werner Lake Road
was designated as a public forest road pursuant to Section 48 of the
Public Lands Act. This designation was made to allow the MNR to
continue to administer those controls for use of the road which were
previously exercised by the company under their Land Use Permits.
Travel was permitted on the road for resource harvesting activities
only. Travel has never been permitted for recreational or cottaging
pursuits as the long term management plan for the road is for eventual
removal. The legal authority of which has been determined by the
Supreme Court of Ontario.

Recreational use of the area is not permitted. Our officers will
continue to lay charges where persons are found either travelling the
road or are within the area boundaries without an approved Travel
Permit.

The only exception to recreational use of the Restricted Area is
canoeing. If access to lakes within the Restricted Area is gained from
waters outside the Restricted Area, we have no concerns, and the use of
portages is a public right as is the public right of navigation.

Thank you again for your e-mail and I trust this information will be of
assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Leo E. Heyens
Lake of the Woods Area Supervisor
Kenora District Office
MNR
The Following User Says Thank You to oldccm For This Useful Post:
rosco1 (04-24-2011)
Old 04-29-2012, 03:34 PM

MRGT is on a distinguished road
Not to get all political but these kind of things always bother me. It seems that certain groups repeatedly get permission to access certain areas utilizing motor transport. They always come up with fancy terms and conditions but ultimately its people with money that get these special rights land to access these and similar areas. Its usually mining or lodges that get it and then often they act like they own the place, even though its crown land. Drives me crazy.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:03 PM

Oerlikon80 is a splendid one to beholdOerlikon80 is a splendid one to beholdOerlikon80 is a splendid one to beholdOerlikon80 is a splendid one to beholdOerlikon80 is a splendid one to beholdOerlikon80 is a splendid one to beholdOerlikon80 is a splendid one to beholdOerlikon80 is a splendid one to behold
So how is MNR patrolling the area? Helicopter?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:50 PM

slauso is on a distinguished road
MNR uses sleds in the winter and float planes in the summer. People I know ffrom Davidson canoed/portaged into Ryerson from Davidson and were checked by a float plane. They would have been ok if they had ontario fishing liscense. The guy that lives at Werner says MNR comes into Werner from Caribou Falls and sometimes from Davidson by snowmobile.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:00 PM

pooyan is on a distinguished road
Form the MNR responce, sounds like foot travel isnt allowed either. I have a cottage at Bird lake, when I was younger (and didnt care to read signs) I use to go into ontario all the time. Even when part of the road was washed out we still navigated through it with our 4x4's. I can understand wanting to protect the wildlife by limiting the developement in the area, but at the same time, to deny the public the right to enjoy the same land doesnt make sense. Perhaps being in Ontario and the province not having local enforcement has something to do with it?

Last edited by pooyan; 06-07-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Sweater Puppets

Non-motorized travel is allowed, foot, bicycle, horse, unicycle...whatever you want as long as it isn't motorized.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:45 PM

carolac is on a distinguished road
Werner Lake

Wondering if any one knows of any fly in lodges that are in Werner Lake where the old mines were or close by to the area. We use to live in a trailer park there when my dad worked in the mines and would like to see the area again, but see by all the posts that you can't drive on the road to get in there. Any info would be great. thanks
Old 06-15-2012, 07:13 AM

slauso is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Wondering if any one knows of any fly in lodges that are in Werner Lake where the old mines were or close by to the area. We use to live in a trailer park there when my dad worked in the mines and would like to see the area again, but see by all the posts that you can't drive on the road to get in there. Any info would be great. thanks
You can walk or ride a bicycle into the mine site. The road is washed out a couple of kms west of werner lake mine site. No fishing lodges or fly in fishing to werner lake that i know off. There is a cabin there that someone owns and a guy lives there pretty much year round. Not much to see there. All the buildings are gone where the houses and stuff used to be. Just cement pads. No fine for walking,bicycling or canoeing that I know off.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 PM

Halley's Lodge is really the only outfitter in the area. They have fly-in outposts nearby, but it would still be quite a trek to Werner Lake. Werner Lake itself is not entirely under a protection order. The protection orders generally only cover a couple hundred meters on either side of the road/mine site. If you wanted to fly in there for a bit, depending on where you land you can canoe to the site from the plane. Although you would need permission from the mine as there is actually some drilling going on there now (at least 2 drills I hear). Best bet would be a nice 1 day bike ride from Davidson Lake down to Werner Lake mine site and back. Hope this helps. Cheers. BTW I do still access the area from the South, I just no longer go in from Davidson.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:42 PM

RogueRandy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRL View Post
Non-motorized travel is allowed, foot, bicycle, horse, unicycle...whatever you want as long as it isn't motorized.
You cannot be on the road whatsoever on bicycle, I saw people being fined on bikes.

The only way according to what I heard on the Kenora radio to get in there is by traditional means only, which would mean walking snowshoeing, canoeing.

Apparently Ontario CO's have their own plane now and can patrol the area more diligently.

Just taboo to be there.

Tags
manitoba, ontario or, werner