If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > ATV Brand Discussions > Polaris ATV

Old 01-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Administrator/Owner

Thanked 2,479 Times in 773 Posts
camoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond repute
Polaris Mod's

Every once in a while, some very good advice or informative post comes along that is worth keeping for future reference. Unfortunately they tend to get lost with time. This section was created so that all this valuable information stays where you can easily find it.

Please start by looking at the index just below to find what interests you. You will easily locate it by selecting the appropriate pg# and scolling down to the blue Highlighted Item#

If you have any questions regarding any of these topics, go to the main Polaris page or click here Main Page and post a "new topic" and someone will be more than happy to answer. If you see something misinterpreted or confusing, please tell us and we will make the appropriate corrections.

Everything listed here comes from the web and several different individuals and by no means does TrackShare, the person posting it or the original author, take any responsibility for any mod you may do. After all, all modifications to a quad stray from factory specs and/or sometimes safety and would not be recommended by Polaris.

As the saying goes "there is more than one way to skin a cat" this is also true for mods. I have chosen the safe route by using relays because they are easily obtainable and if it fails your mod will simply stop working with no ill effects. Using diodes or other electronic devices could cause electrical problems elsewhere if if they fail. I have tested all these mod's myself and they all work flawlessly. Enjoy

INDEX OF GOODIES

Headlight Conversion instructions pg1 item# 1

Reverse Override/Rev Limiter Bypass Instructions pg1 Item#2

Sportsman Reverse Light Hookup pg1 Item#3

Improved lighting pg1 Item#4

Clutch Spring Change pg1 Item #5

Clutch Kits pg1 Item #6

Coolant Breather Tube Mod pg1 Item #7

#1 3 Lamp Headlight Conversion

Converting your Pod light type Polaris Sportsman so that when the high beam selector is on, the bumper lights are also on. (3 headlamps) and when low beam is selected, only the bumper lights are on.

The nicest thing about this mod is that you do not need to cut any wires or drill any holes.

You will need to purchase a standard 4 pin, 12v relay, 4 pieces of 16 gauge wire about 8" long, 4 female crimp on spade connectors(for connection of wires to relay), 4 wire splice connectors.(they are usually blue and you simply insert the wires and squeeze with pliers, then fold back the protective locking cover)

Open the pod and locate the wiring listed below

Relay terminal #30 connect to Polaris green wire (low beams)
Relay terminal #87 connect to Polaris red wire (10 amp protected circuit at the lighter plug)
Relay terminal #86 connect to Polaris wire yellow wire (high beam)
Relay terminal #85 connect to Polaris brown wire (ground)

Use dielectric grease or liquid tape at all electrical connections to prevent corrosion.

They way this functions, is that when you select high beam, you are powering up the relay to give 12v to the low beam circuit from Polaris's 10amp 12v protected circuit. (No fuse needed) Enjoy.

#2 Reverse Override/Rev Limiter Bypass Instructions

THESE INSTUCTIONS WILL NOT WORK ON THE 04 MODELS. I AM PRESENTLY LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH A 04 or 05 MODEL WHO KNOWS HOW TO USE A TESTER SO THAT WE CAN FIGURE THIS OUT. I HAVE A DIAGRAM AND KNOW WHAT TO DO BUT THERE IS 1 WIRE THAT NEEDS TESTING BY SOMEONE. ANYONE OUT THERE WANT TO VOLENTEER.

Polaris has incorporated a safety feature on all their 4wd models. This feature, which is operational all the time when reverse is selected, will limited engine power and cut out the front wheel drive unless you push the "override" button.

One of the main reasons you would want to do this mod is because when you get stuck and the only way out is reverse, it is impossible to pull the ATV backwards while applying throttle AND pushing the override button. It is also very helpfull when you use your ATV to plow and need 4wd every time you back up with the weight of the plow hanging off the front.

This mod will give you 4wd and full power when in reverse without having to push the override button. This is for all Polaris Sportsman models with the new style speedo (2003) and Sp700, 02. Continue down below for pre 03 model instructions.

The problem with the new style, is that the function button for the speedo is combined with the override button and it is not as straight forward as the old style speedo. Doing it this way everything works, as it should, exactly the way it did before the mod.

The nicest thing about this mod is that you do not need to cut any wires or drill any holes.

You will need to purchase a standard 4 pin, 12v relay, 4 pieces of 16 gauge wire about 8" long, 4 female crimp on spade connectors (for connection of wires to relay), and 4 wire splice connectors. (they are usually blue and you simply insert the wires and squeeze with pliers, then fold back the protective locking cover)

Open the pod and locate the wiring harness coming from the speedo.

Relay terminal #30 connects to Polaris brown wire
Relay terminal #87 connects to Polaris wire gray/orange
Relay terminal #86 connects to Polaris wire red/white
Relay terminal #85 connects to Polaris wire purple.

Use dielectric grease at all electrical connections to prevent corrosion in the long run or even better, liquid tape.

To test, simply put it in reverse with the engine running, if the speedo flases the word "SLOW" (just like it did before the mod, when you pressed the override button) you did everything correct. Enjoy

__________________________________________________ __
Pre 2003 and almost all models that do NOT have the combined override/speedo function button.

Trace wires from the override button (gray/white & gray/orange) Cut the gray/orange and tape up both ends. Cut the gray/white and tape up the end which goes to the override button. Connect the other end of the gray/white to the red/white (ignition supplied 12v) You will also need to trace the purple wire which comes from the handlebars and simply cut and tape both ends. Done deal.

IMPORTANT
If your wires are different colors than the ones I mention. Post a new topic and I will gladly figure it out for you. Polaris has been building quads since 84 and I cannot possibly know the color schemes for every model/year.

#3 Sportsman Reverse Light Hookup

THEY HAVE REMOVED THE REVERSE ACCESORY WIRE ON THE 04 MODELS. AND THEREFOR THIS WILL NOT WORK ON THEM. I AM WORKING ON A SOLUTION

To hookup a reverse light (see note) that is actuated when the gear selector is put in reverse is very simple and I personally use a 55watt halogen, which causes no electrical problems whatsoever.

After installing your light in the appropriate location connect the positive wire to an appropriate size fuse and then directly to the battery (works even if ignition is off) or to the red/white (works only if ignition is on) spade connecter located right beside the purple one. The ground wire is then connected to the purple wire located under the hood (not the pod). This purple wire terminates in a female spade connection and is specifically for reverse accessories. Once you have removed the hood, it will be located on the right hand side when you are facing the quad.

This mod works by taking advantage of a switched ground when reverse is selected and that Polaris has provided. In other words you are making the ground contact when you select reverse gear and the light comes on. Enjoy

IMPORTANT
Polaris has changed the wiring on the newer models. 03's work exactly as described but the older models work off of a switched 12v purple wire as opposed to a switched ground. Before making any connections on an older model, use an ohm meter and check to see if your purple wire gets ground or 12v with the ignition key in the on position and the transmission in reverse. If it gets 12v you simply hook up the purple wire to the reverse light positive and the ground to the reverse light negative. These model will not have the purple female spade connection and you will have to splice into the purple wire to get the 12v.

NOTE:
Some aux lights come with a wire that connects the bulb ground to the mounting bracket. If your light is like this you will need to remove/cut the wire so that if you screw it to the frame it will not ground and come on. Other models are all metal and you will have no choice but to mount it so that the bracket is insulated from grounding. You want the ground to be controlled by the switched purple wire. Personally I prefer using lights that have a plastic housing because they do not rust up and the grounding to frame is not an issue.

If you have an older model where the purple wire is switched 12v, this can be a benifit since grounding will be done automatically by screwing it to the frame and you will not need to add a ground wire.

#4 Improved lighting

To improve the lighting on your pod light, I recommend you simply change the bulb to a PIAA Super Extreme white (draws only 65watts but produces an equivalent of 135 without the heat). Polaris has always used a standard H4 bulb in the pod, until now They use a proprietary bulb in the 02, 700 and I believe all 03's and higher and there is no aftermarket bulbs available for these.

PIAA LINK PIAA H4 BULBS

If your crazy like me an own a machine with the proprietary bulb, you can purchase a 02 headlamp assembly and replace yours, so the H4 bulb will fit. You will also need to purchase the lock ring, rubber boot and change the plug in connector on your Polaris to a standard automotive type 3pin connector.

The standard bumper mount lights are ok at best and by replacing them with 55watt halogen driving lights you will see a major improvement.

CAUTION this combination can overload the charging system and your battery could get drawn down with long time use. Unless you have a 300watt charging system (SP600/700) I do not recommend the 3 lamp conversion Item#1 in combination with the bumper light mod at 55 watts each.

CAUTION Don't even think about using a high wattage bulb in the pod (100watts) it will eventually melt the light housing (to much heat)

#5 Clutch Spring Change.

A few years back it was all the rage to change the primary clutch spring and there were “claims” of significant performance gains. It still comes up quite often, so here’s the scoop.

Polaris has put in the appropriate spring for all around use. You may want to change your quads clutching characteristics by replacing the spring with one that has a stronger rating to suit your riding style. Doing this causes the clutch to engage at a higher rpm. (Sort of like revving your engine and popping the clutch) I will warn you in advance, the stronger the spring, the more difficult it will become to control your ride in the very slow technical areas. This will also cause your ATV to lose some top speed. If this mod is of interest to you, click on the link below and then click on the forward arrow to advance the pages. CAUTION you are interested in pages 1-5 & and 10-14 only. If you read pages 6-9 it will show you how to replace the clutch weights and this is not what we are trying to do here.

LINK...Spring Removal/Install

Dalton claims to have a spring for the SP600 which improves low,mid and top end. (1 mph increase) Nobody has ever claimed an increase in speed that was actually true. I will be testing it in the near future and report back.

#6 Clutch Kits

IMHO a properly tuned clutch kit is the single most significant and cost effective performance mod you can do to your Polaris.

Although there are several manufacturers of kits, I highly recommend the Heelclicker Clutch kit. There are 4 reasons for this 1) It is completely adjustable. This means if you change to bigger tires, add a pipe or change the overall power of your engine, you will not need to purchase and install a whole new kit. 2) If you understand the most simplest laws of physics and read the article on the link below, you will agree that the Dual “Quadrant technology” is a major break through in centrifugal clutch weight design. It is not just a different weight with a slightly different profile. 3) You are not relying on someone who thinks he has the proper weight & profile for your riding style & altitude application (pretty much hit & miss) 4) If you deciede to change your quad to another Polaris, you simply remove the kit and reinstall the stock setup before parting with your old ride and then transfer it to your new ride. All heelclicker kits are the same and only the adjustment/spring may need to change to suit your new ride.

#7 Coolant Breather Tube Mod

Here's a couple of modifications that will help to keep your engine coolant clean which will pervent premature coolant pump seal failure. These are recommended modifications if you do a lot of mud or submerge your ATV in any substance. Special thanks to Tru4wd for posting this writeup.

There are 2 areas that need attention.

1. The overflow bottle has a small hole in the top that draws in muddy water when the engine is cooled as it would be going through a mud hole. This contaminates the coolant and will in time damage the water pump seal.

The Mod

Find a piece of clear Tygon (plastic) tubing of no more than 1/4", you will also need to find/make a hose connector that will fit snuggly into the tubing.
Drill the out the hole large enough to insert the hose connector and fix it in place (no leaks) then attach the Tygon tubing to it and run the other end up to the the air intake tube and hold in place with a tie wrap.

2. (Most important) The main reason the water pump seal fails is contamination from muddy water entering the weep hole under the seal. Muddy water has direct access to the seal via this hole.

The Mod

Find a piece of 1/4" metal tubing (I used stainless steel) about 1" long and about 2 foot of 1/4" Tygon (plastic) tubing.
You will need to taper one end of the metal tubing for approx 1/4" so that it fit's into the weep hole. With a little 5 min epoxy applied to the tapered end, place the tapered end into the weep hole and with a small hammer gently tap into place until snug. Allowing 15 mins for the epoxy to cure properly, slip one end of the Tygon tubing on to the newly made hose connector and run the other end up behind the engine to the frame. Tie wrap at 4 to 6" higher than the weep hole and the let the end hang down at a convenient location.

Most automotive parts stores carry clear plastic tubing and a variety to connectors that can be addapted to do the job.

Edit: The best connector I have found so far is a small threaded grease zerk (threaded 1/4" x 28 Fine Thread). Remove the check ball and spring by clamping the zerk in a vice or locking pliers, and filing away on the BACK side of the zerk until the spring and ball can be removed. Tap the overflow bottle lid or weep hole to 1/4" fine thread (a few guys have even managed to thread the weep hole without drilling it bigger. If you do drill, be VERY careful not to drill too deep). Thread in the zerk firmly, and you have a ready-made nipple for 1/4" tubing, just push it over the zerk, and zip-tie it on. It is important to remove the check-ball to allow for unrestricted venting.

Last edited by camoman; 06-03-2005 at 11:42 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camoman For This Useful Post:
BIGSTEALTH (03-09-2010), Junk raider (03-17-2010)
Old 06-16-2005, 08:49 PM

brantfordbandit is on a distinguished road
water pump weep hole

can't seem to find the weep hole on the watyer pump
Old 06-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Paid Advertiser

Thanked 1,624 Times in 748 Posts
GIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Thanks camo way to much reading how about I bring my quad to your house drink your Gibbies and you show me hows it DONE. Sound like a better way to go for me and you what do ya THINK is tonight GOOD?????????????????????????????????
Old 06-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Brokenhead OffRoad Riders

Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,052 Posts
mailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond repute
Brandtfordbandit, you can't miss it. It's a pretty large hole on the front side of the pump.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:07 AM

brantfordbandit is on a distinguished road
hey mailman, i found it on the bottom of the pump housing got it epoxied in place will run the line today. if i'm only running it 5 or so inches up what's the difference it will still get water in it?
Old 06-18-2005, 07:01 AM
Administrator/Owner

Thanked 2,479 Times in 773 Posts
camoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIBBIES
Hey Thanks camo way to much reading how about I bring my quad to your house drink your Gibbies and you show me hows it DONE. Sound like a better way to go for me and you what do ya THINK is tonight GOOD?????????????????????????????????
We'll have to have a Polaris Modding party one of these days !!
Old 06-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Paid Advertiser

Thanked 1,624 Times in 748 Posts
GIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond reputeGIBBIES has a reputation beyond repute
I am in,gibbies and lots of it.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:12 PM

andre thebeau is on a distinguished road
Reverse overide

Hey How's it going i am new to this site. It's awesome, i was just wondering if someone found a way to bypass the overide button on the 04 and also i used a spring pin for the weep hole for the water pump it worked great. I have a 04 700 and a 04 600 for the wife and i might be willing to try to figure it out with someone if you have some ideas
Old 09-15-2005, 02:16 PM
too aggressive

optima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to beholdoptima23 is a splendid one to behold
arent u polaris 600

1999 Polaris 335 Sportsman 2.5 warn winch, AGM battery !!!!OFFICAL TRACKSHARE POLARIS 800 EFI BOOSTER!!!!!
1998 Polaris Indy Trail

2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700FI Red in color
NEW to the garage
2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 4X4i
Old 10-03-2006, 04:32 AM
Brew

Thanked 1,718 Times in 735 Posts
bwery has a reputation beyond reputebwery has a reputation beyond reputebwery has a reputation beyond reputebwery has a reputation beyond reputebwery has a reputation beyond reputebwery has a reputation beyond reputebwery has a reputation beyond reputebwery has a reputation beyond reputebwery has a reputation beyond reputebwery has a reputation beyond reputebwery has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone know how to bypass the rev overide on 04 and up yet?

Richer Rough Stock Rodeo Aug 7-9, 2015
bcwery@hotmail.com for details

Old 10-03-2006, 03:34 PM
not quailified to answer

Thanked 2,731 Times in 1,156 Posts
Fat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwery
Anyone know how to bypass the rev overide on 04 and up yet?
Yep pm me or callme or come see.
All Chef's @#%you
Old 12-19-2007, 06:03 AM
Skidsteer

skidsteer.ca is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

#2 Reverse Override/Rev Limiter Bypass Instructions

"THESE INSTUCTIONS WILL NOT WORK ON THE 04 MODELS. I AM PRESENTLY LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH A 04 or 05 MODEL WHO KNOWS HOW TO USE A TESTER SO THAT WE CAN FIGURE THIS OUT.

The problem with the new style, is that the function button for the speedo is combined with the override button"

I found this worked on my 05 500 sportsman. The only glitch is the machine occasionally is in "wrench" mode if your start it with awd on, but this clears as soon as you drive it.

I tried the quoted mod on my 05 500 sportsman, but found that the fuel guage went blank, and the relay always activated when the key was on. Therefore you could not use the overide button to toggle through odo, trip, tach, hours. Althought this does defeat the RO.

What I did instead was ground 85 of the relay, to the ground (brown) on the 12v power point (cig lighter) outside wire (power + goes to the center of the cig lighter plug)

Then I followed the 4 wire harness back from the AWD switch to the headlite pod. Found the wire that is only hot (+) when the AWD switch is in AWD (grey)(key must be on)
I hooked the that wire to the otherside of the relay coil # 86.
Fuel guage now works properly
In 2wd I can still use the RO button to toggle through the speedo modes and the limmiter still works.
In awd there is no limiter and its awd in reverse or forward
You must shift to 2wd to toggle the speedo modes and turning awd on in trip mode resets the trip.
Just switch to some mode other than trip then turn on awd and your trip mode will not clear
Enjoy
Old 12-19-2007, 04:54 PM
not quailified to answer

Thanked 2,731 Times in 1,156 Posts
Fat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond repute
I got an easier way to do this I use an alarm switch and a strong magnet on the shift rod. works great and water proof.
All Chef's @#%you
Old 12-12-2008, 02:04 PM

macka is on a distinguished road
The other trick to get more bang for your bucks from the lights is to upgrade the wiring from 16G to 12G and run a relay like you do for the extra lighting mod but for the main lighting harnesses. Those little wires don't move as much juice to the bulbs as a bigger gauge will. With this upgrade and the PIAA bulbs its like looking at landing lights off of a 747 compared to stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to macka For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Skidsteer

skidsteer.ca is on a distinguished road
Macka
I'll have to check the voltage on mine.
Ken
96 400 Sportsmam, 05 500 Sportsman, 05 660 Grizzly
87 Moto 4 80, 03 Sportsman 90, 50cc china quad
Lund 1850 with 130, Naden 16 ft with 30
31 Ft Wildwood, 22 ft Sledbed,
The Following User Says Thank You to skidsteer.ca For This Useful Post:
macka (12-12-2008)
Old 05-22-2009, 11:47 AM

europe50 is on a distinguished road
Update: Polaris Reverse Mod for 2004.5-06'

Here is a drawing of how to wire Skidsteer.ca instructions above.
I want to thank Ken (Skidsteer.ca) because his instructions were the first to be able to do the mod automatically (Not just key on) for the 2004.5-06' years with minimal effect on the RO (Modes) button. Thakns Ken!

The Following User Says Thank You to europe50 For This Useful Post:
skidsteer.ca (04-18-2012)
Old 05-31-2009, 12:22 PM

canadahunter is on a distinguished road
does anyone know the wiring to bypass the 09 xp's for the reverse override button
Old 09-24-2009, 09:36 AM

Miaugi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadahunter View Post
does anyone know the wiring to bypass the 09 xp's for the reverse override button
From what I've read elsewhere the XP already has AWD in reverse without needing to hold the button, however the button still does control a rev limiter while in reverse though, but to me that is not such a big deal.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:34 PM

canderson is on a distinguished road
I know this is an old post but it helped me out to do my 3 light mod, and my reverse override mod, on my 09 Polaris Sportsman Touring 800. But I ran into one problem when I hooked up the relay for the override it was a constant on, meaning the speedo switch would not work. But I did a little changing and wound up with a switch in between the gray/orange wire and the ground. Now I can turn on or off the override with a switch that way its stock until I want, or need full power in reverse.
rack extensions
work lights
Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 PM

09scrammy is on a distinguished road
is the override wiring mod the same for an 09 scrambler 500?

Tags
light, overide, polaris, reverse