If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > UTV Brand Discusions

Old 12-31-2015, 07:15 PM

ramhunter51 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down John Deere 825i UTV/ Camoplast T4S Tracks

Gentlemen,
After less than two years of using the Camoplast T4S track system on my John Deere 825i UTV, I wanted to offer some guidance as to the reliability and the manufacturers recommended maintenance tasks associated with keeping this system operating.
The big note here is that if you intend to use the tracks on a daily basis throughout the year be aware you will be completely disassembling the entire system every 25 hours of operation to inspect and lubricate every wheel bearing seal, and all four hub bearing seals! This is no joke and will require a full days work to complete at each interval. If you do not do this religiously, you will pay the price of a complete system failure at fairly low hours.
I purchased my system new with my new 2014 JD 825i, and the entire system failed after just 50 hours of operation. It turned out that the manufacturer admitted that there was an issue in the assembly process that failed to properly lubricate all the bearing seals. They provided all new dobie wheels, and new bearings and seals for the 16 larger wheels for me to install myself. So all should have been good, right!
Well! At about 200 hours use and repeated disassembly and lubrication of the entire system at 25 hours intervals the larger wheel bearing again failed, and one of the main hub seals failed allowing moisture into the hub bearing area. The manufacturer again provide a portion of the needed parts, and I have now done a second complete overhaul of the system.
So the point is that although the system is sold as being capable of performing for use in all seasons, and is in part correct. The tracks will perform under many applications, however if you intend to use them on a daily basis you will be faced with an excessive extensive maintenance schedule that will humble even the most seasoned mechanic in short order. So if you have nothing else to do with your life other than work on your track system every month, think twice before sinking the money into this system.
I have since retired my T4S system to my Gator 625i that is now dedicated to only winter use in snow only to reduce the operational hours in an attempt to reduced all the time I have to spend working on them.
Frankly if you intend to use the T4S system on a UTV other than just the weekend warrior application, you will be in for a true maintenance nightmare!
Happy Tracking!!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ramhunter51 For This Useful Post:
ArlyUP (02-19-2016), ASS-MAN (01-01-2016), Maxter (02-22-2016), Shoemaker (02-19-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 12:22 AM

xcr700 is just really nicexcr700 is just really nicexcr700 is just really nicexcr700 is just really nicexcr700 is just really nice
That's insane
Old 02-18-2016, 09:48 AM

ArlyUP is on a distinguished road
Ramhunter, We just singed up here and our experiences mimic yours. Oh, I've got family all across SD.

We purchased UTV4S pods about 5 years ago and used them modestly, maybe totaling 200 or 300 hours on them before they were retired. Many idlers were worn flat from being locked in ice, but this did not constitute a failure in my book and they continued to work fine. They did require repairs but not enough to annoy us or leave us out in the field broke down. We sold the pods with the 700 Rhino this fall.

We also have 3 year old tatou ATV4S pods on a 700 Grizzly and put around 300 hours on these per season (just winter use). The failures on these have been a whole new game. All idlers have failed and been replaced. The 1st time this happened the track derailed so we had to drag the machine in. One frame was damaged from bearing failure and needed to be replaced. So we now inspect and watch them like a hawk. Doing this over the subsequent years, all the idlers have been replaced and we have now exceeded the tracks original price. Nonetheless, we won't get another set of these. We just noted the bearings the hold the pods on the axle, have flailed. Oh well.

With that in mind, this fall we got Apache LT pods with the Defender UTV we received. Do note, these are work machines.

Hope that helps???

Last edited by ArlyUP; 02-19-2016 at 10:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArlyUP For This Useful Post:
ramhunter51 (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 09:52 AM

gtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the rough
What are your thoughts on the John Deere?
Old 02-19-2016, 10:04 AM

I've test driven most, if not all the Deere's and for our needs, they are under powered. Do note, to rotated pods through deep snow requires a large amount of HP. This requirement many not apply to most people. I should add the Deeres have seen good use and reviews from groomers, but since we normally take a UTV out in deep snow, power shortages are bad......

Last edited by ArlyUP; 02-19-2016 at 10:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArlyUP For This Useful Post:
gtrussell (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 10:27 AM

ArlyUP,
Thanks for the comments. The purpose of my post was just to inform would be buyers of the reality of owning the track system. The manufacturer is very illusive as to disclosing the actual maintenance of their system. You seem to have had similar results with yours. I purchased mine with the intent of using them daily on my ranch, and the results were disappointing at best, and I have now dedicated them for use in snow only because of the issue of moisture intrusion within the bearings from use in mud or water!
Old 02-19-2016, 10:35 AM

My thoughts on the Deere's is that the 625i model is severely underpowered and completely unsuitable for use with the T4S system. However the 825i has sufficient power to operate with the tracks, but due to the low top speed of the Deere 40MPH on tires, the top speed while using the tracks is about 23MPH. So it slows you way down, but I am impressed with the ability to virtually go anywhere without getting stuck. I do not recommend use in mud or water ever unless you intend to disassemble the entire system and dry everything out. This is just the unfortunate fact the bearing sealing system will not sufficiently prevent water intrusion within the bearing cavities!
Old 02-19-2016, 10:44 AM

bearing failures left-n-right

Ram, We have only ever use our pods in snow but do note, that snow and ice is quite abrasive and may take bearing seals out. It appears that Camoplast used less expensive bearings with poor seals in the tatou ATV 4S pods that we have. Whatever the case, we can't purchase another set from Camoplast because of there there high cost of maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramhunter51 View Post
ArlyUP,
Thanks for the comments. The purpose of my post was just to inform would be buyers of the reality of owning the track system. The manufacturer is very illusive as to disclosing the actual maintenance of their system. You seem to have had similar results with yours. I purchased mine with the intent of using them daily on my ranch, and the results were disappointing at best, and I have now dedicated them for use in snow only because of the issue of moisture intrusion within the bearings from use in mud or water!
Old 02-20-2016, 01:23 PM

ArylUP,
Since the maintenance interval is 25 hours between lubrication requirements, I can get through Winter within that timeframe since I have far less activity in Winter. That is why I have dedicated the T4S system to winter use only in snow. Before I did this I was forced to disassemble the entire system about once a month in Spring, Summer, and Fall due to all the activity I do on my ranch. That just did not work, and is the big drawback of using this type of system year round. Anyway thanks for the comments!

Tags
camoplast, deere, tracks, utv or