If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > Truck and Trailers

Old 01-10-2018, 03:42 PM

Bender will become famous soon enough
Starter Question

My 04 F150's starter has starting to act up in the cold. When it gets very cold, below -20 it seems like sometimes the bendix is not engaging and the starter motor is just spinning. Once it got warmer out it seems to be fine. When it was in the low -20's all day if I had it plugged in, it didn't seem to have the problem.

If I left it unplugged at -35 overnight and went out to start it, the first try you would just hear the starter motor spin, if you tried again the bendix came out and the engine started.

Is the starter just F'd? Or could it be something else going on?

Battery is still good, a large AGM style.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:34 PM

gtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the rough
Probably the bendix as you suggested. They can get worn, and dirty over time and will not fully engage the ring gear. Cold weather makes them sluggish as well. LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to gtrussell For This Useful Post:
Bender (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 04:39 PM

Bender will become famous soon enough
Damn thing is only a year old. I guess I will go with a gear reduction starter next time. Probably ride this one out until spring if it makes it.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:00 PM

sleeper is a jewel in the roughsleeper is a jewel in the roughsleeper is a jewel in the rough
Can try cleaning what you can see on bendix shaft.
My old F250 would fill with gravel dust in there and starter would act up. I bought a new starter once but found it to be grease/oil/dust on shaft causing the problem.
I did fix the oil leak so that mess just turned into dust in the later years.

Tags
question, starter