If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > Truck and Trailers

Old 02-12-2018, 04:10 PM
Sweater Puppets

Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,057 Posts
HRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond repute
CAA vs Canadian Tire Roadside

I need a little first hand experiences from those of you that have used either service. On paper they look very similar with CT being slightly less expensive. Kid is going to school in Winnipeg and her car is long off warranty and she's pretty clueless when it comes to vehicles.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:25 PM
Barkerlakebob.....!!

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,825 Posts
barkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond repute
CAA is our only experience and its ok.

Dunno if you have a mechanic / garage lined up to take care of her vehicle issues, but as usual, be fussy on whom you pick.........there are a ton of useless pricks who will have no problem taking advantage of a kid and a car !!
HRL (02-12-2018), RUNNER (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Sweater Puppets

Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,057 Posts
HRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond reputeHRL has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerlakebob View Post
CAA is our only experience and its ok.

Dunno if you have a mechanic / garage lined up to take care of her vehicle issues, but as usual, be fussy on whom you pick.........there are a ton of useless pricks who will have no problem taking advantage of a kid and a car !!
My cousin lives near her and is a gear head, he's got a buddy with a shop so he'll look out for her if need be. I'm more concerned about highway towing, boosting etc.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:27 PM

Thanked 6,665 Times in 2,643 Posts
boak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond repute
I have CAA.... no complaints mostly use for the maps, trip planning and insurance.

I did have a battery that was getting older and before getting into problems decided last summer to have them come out to the house, tested battery and alternator, recommended replacing battery and took the old one out and put the new one in all for under $200. Cheaper than battery alone from Costco and I am a huge Costco fan (haha).

Membership covers me not the car so it follows me even if in a rental, etc... Used it last month when I was in Vegas as AAA recognizes it as equivalent.

Only complaint with CAA is I read in paper that when really cold and lots need boosts they often have big delays for help. Assume this is same for all though.

No experience with CT.

The Following User Says Thank You to boak For This Useful Post:
HRL (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 07:14 PM

justgiver is a name known to alljustgiver is a name known to alljustgiver is a name known to alljustgiver is a name known to alljustgiver is a name known to alljustgiver is a name known to all
Had the CDN Tire one 15 or so years ago. Car would not start in the Selkirk CDN Tire parking lot. Went inside to the automotive dept. to get a boost and was told they cannot help call the 1-800 number. Called and the operator wanted to send a tow truck from Thompson. Had to explain that there was likely one closer in Selkirk.

Went back to CAA the next year.
" There is one thing in this world that is dumber than playing golf. That is watching someone else playing golf. What do you actually get to see? Thirty-seven guys in polyester slacks squinting at the sun. Doesn't that set your blood racing? -- Peter Andrews "
The Following User Says Thank You to justgiver For This Useful Post:
HRL (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 08:08 PM

kenora is a splendid one to beholdkenora is a splendid one to beholdkenora is a splendid one to beholdkenora is a splendid one to beholdkenora is a splendid one to beholdkenora is a splendid one to behold
I've been a CAA member for 25 years) and am very impressed...this winter I've had two boosts (I finally (just) got rid of that POS) and two free flat repairs (yup FREE..done right in the parking lot). Over the years I've been towed a dozen times (see reference above for POS) as I'm on the road to/from Kenora at least twice a week. The biggest advantage is the coverage is associated to me not a particular vehicle..so lets say I'm with a friend that doesn't have coverage for a tow/boost/tire repair etc I "become" the drive and its covered......just sayin....
and if the CAA tow trucks are busy then EVERYBODY is busy..CAA will hire the closest/quickest truck not necessarily their own when its busy...so CDN Tire or whatever are queing for the same trucks as CAA...
OH and there are a ton of great discounts avail...I use the CAA discount frequently at hotels...usually the best price and always better than the Gov discount
Over-Ripe Avocado Camo
The Following User Says Thank You to kenora For This Useful Post:
HRL (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 08:22 PM

justgiver is a name known to alljustgiver is a name known to alljustgiver is a name known to alljustgiver is a name known to alljustgiver is a name known to alljustgiver is a name known to all
Forgot about the fact CDN Tire one was tied to the license plate and a certain vehicle and could only be used for that vehicle.

This may have changed since I had it though.
" There is one thing in this world that is dumber than playing golf. That is watching someone else playing golf. What do you actually get to see? Thirty-seven guys in polyester slacks squinting at the sun. Doesn't that set your blood racing? -- Peter Andrews "
The Following User Says Thank You to justgiver For This Useful Post:
HRL (02-12-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 07:08 PM

Thanked 3,558 Times in 1,885 Posts
tonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond repute
Bad thing about caa is that you can never get service when its cold.
2-3 day delay at worse.
Cdn tire roadside would have a lot more trucks/brokers to handle the calls.
A lot of towing companies do the roadside services.

Last edited by tonym63; 02-16-2018 at 02:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tonym63 For This Useful Post:
HRL (02-14-2018)

Tags
canadian, roadside