If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > Homes Shops Garages

Old 08-11-2017, 01:28 PM

canook is on a distinguished road
building jacking

Hi, looking for some opinions. I have an existing 30x48 shop that was originally built as a horse barn that I am considering having the walls raised 4'-6' to fit a class 8 truck. It is well built with 2x6 wall but simple shop with a wood plank floor, a 10' wide asphalt lane running front to back, and the perimeter sitting on some type of rock foundation. In the past 2 years I put 50 year shingles on it and new soffit, eaves. etc. Ceiling height is currently ~9ft. Front door opening will have to be increased from 9x8 to at least 12x12'. With the shop lifted I would look at having a heated concrete floor put in. I am still considering going with a new shop, but thinking maybe I can make it work with this shop. Also considering adding 24' feet to the shop that would just have a grade beam and a gravel pad, non insulated for extra storage. I realize a project like this brings some problems with it. Can anyone recommend some reputable contractors that do this kind of thing? I am in East St. Paul. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2017, 03:21 PM

cowboyup is a splendid one to beholdcowboyup is a splendid one to beholdcowboyup is a splendid one to beholdcowboyup is a splendid one to beholdcowboyup is a splendid one to beholdcowboyup is a splendid one to beholdcowboyup is a splendid one to behold
building jacking

I considered doing almost the same thing last year, that is until I went into the attic and found that my building doesn't have trusses that would support the span . The interior walls hold the ceiling up in my case
Old 08-12-2017, 11:10 AM

Thankfully I don't have that problem, I have engineered trusses. I "think" it would be a pretty easy lift, and if I was only lifting a foot or two may be just dumb enough it try it myself. Going to 4'-6' feet...no thanks. I put a couple of calls out to some house movers, like Vieville and Martens but haven't heard back. I would like to get this done before the snow flies, which may be a pipe dream. I have read on here the Cobra seems to be a well respected concrete company, any others? Maybe this should be a new post. Thanks for the response Cowboy!
Old 08-12-2017, 07:51 PM

Thanked 1,455 Times in 614 Posts
RUNNER has a reputation beyond reputeRUNNER has a reputation beyond reputeRUNNER has a reputation beyond reputeRUNNER has a reputation beyond reputeRUNNER has a reputation beyond reputeRUNNER has a reputation beyond reputeRUNNER has a reputation beyond reputeRUNNER has a reputation beyond reputeRUNNER has a reputation beyond reputeRUNNER has a reputation beyond reputeRUNNER has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by canook View Post
Thankfully I don't have that problem, I have engineered trusses. I "think" it would be a pretty easy lift, and if I was only lifting a foot or two may be just dumb enough it try it myself. Going to 4'-6' feet...no thanks. I put a couple of calls out to some house movers, like Vieville and Martens but haven't heard back. I would like to get this done before the snow flies, which may be a pipe dream. I have read on here the Cobra seems to be a well respected concrete company, any others? Maybe this should be a new post. Thanks for the response Cowboy!
there was a guy from Winnipeg beach that did a similar job in siglavik raised the house and poured a pony wall. All I remember is his first name Matt.
This was for my wife's uncle did a good quick job.
canook (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 PM

I think I have tracked the guy down from your details. I will give him a call on Monday and see what he says. Thanks RUNNER!
The Following User Says Thank You to canook For This Useful Post:
RUNNER (08-13-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 06:33 PM

Just as a follow up, I have called 4 building lifting/jacking contractors, last call made 3 weeks ago and not 1 has returned my call. I am sure these guys are busy, but a 30 sec. call to say they don't have time or not interested would have been nice. Whine over.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canook For This Useful Post:
boak (09-01-2017), tonym63 (09-03-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 10:42 PM
Miami Motorsports Pres.

Runnin' Wild is a jewel in the roughRunnin' Wild is a jewel in the roughRunnin' Wild is a jewel in the roughRunnin' Wild is a jewel in the rough
They are a fair distance away but BB Wiebe from osterwick which is south of Winkler, best building mover in the game, I've moved more than enough buildings with them over 16 yrs as a lineman, wouldn't choose anyone else and didn't, they moved my garage for me.

They have the ability to jack it no problem but the charge due to distance might not be worth it to you but never know what thay will quote. They do quality work.

1-204-325-4564 might be worth the call.
The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin' Wild For This Useful Post:
canook (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 01:43 PM

It is worth a shot. I will give them a call. Thanks Runnin' Wild!
Old 09-02-2017, 02:14 PM
Miami Motorsports Pres.

Runnin' Wild is a jewel in the roughRunnin' Wild is a jewel in the roughRunnin' Wild is a jewel in the roughRunnin' Wild is a jewel in the rough
Can try Hunt Bros. Out of Oakville if Bernie and his boys are too busy. Hunt will move anything and has, just not as gentle lol.

Remier is out of Arborg I believe andAnderson is out of grunthal plus there is Martens.

Bernie and his boys are still my first choice. BB Wiebe does quality work, best Ive seen.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:48 PM

I have called Reimer's, Vieville, Marten's, and MJM Foundations out of Winnipeg Beach. I put a call into BB Wiebe today. I will keep Hunt in mind as well. There is Jaime Zeemel out of Lac du Bonnet but haven't found much info on him. I am not much for rolling the dice and see what happens when hiring a contractor, so the "referrals" are appreciated. If I can't get this done this year, I may try to rent a heated bay for the cold months. I'd rather put that money into my own shop if I can.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:39 AM
Grizz700

sifton has a spectacular aura aboutsifton has a spectacular aura aboutsifton has a spectacular aura about
If you just want to lift it, that just takes time and lots of blocking. I just moved my 32 x 20 shed closer to my garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0028.jpg (446.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 09-03-2017, 03:29 PM

That is similar to what I was thinking, run 2x12's' lag bolted to interior studs and spread the lift across the entire wall. I have considered doing it myself, but would prefer someone knowledgeable to get it lifted "quickly" unless the cost doesn't make sense. I think I would take too long to lift it, and I have alot of "stuff" inside that I do not want accessible to the late night tourists with sticky fingers. Also I work alot and don't want a project like that lingering with 3 kids 8 yrs & under running around. The rest of my reasons are likely excuses. Thanks for the pic sifton, good to know I was on the right track with how I would make the lift.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:17 AM
pin2win

Ranger RZR has a spectacular aura aboutRanger RZR has a spectacular aura about
Canook... too bad you spent all that money on the roof... a few years ago I had a buddy that wanted to do the exact same thing. So.. we proceeded to remove the roof, then the trusses, and we built 8 foot sections of walls and put them on top of the existing walls and ran another 2 x 6 down the existing wall to support those short walls that we put on top. Then double plated the walls on top and put the trusses back on.. he now has a great shop that he gets his semi in as well as his combine...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ranger RZR For This Useful Post:
canook (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 01:05 PM

Yeah that was my first thought to build up like your buddy did. I decided if I was going to put the money and effort in to this building I wanted a heated concrete floor put in so that when I figured it needs to be lifted. I still haven't gotten a call back from any of the contractors I have contacted. Maybe I should stop leaving messages and just keep calling until someone answers.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:51 PM
pin2win

Ranger RZR has a spectacular aura aboutRanger RZR has a spectacular aura about
sounds good... makes sense!
Old 10-17-2017, 03:44 PM

So in the end I managed to get 1 quote on having my shop lifted. To lift, fill void with 5 ft 2x6 wall (sheeted) and a concrete beam (or footer?) to set the 30x48 shop down on was quoted 26k. Having only 1 quote I don't have any numbers to compare this number against. For that money, it doesn't make much sense. I would still need to install a larger overhead door, a man door, insulate, and heated concrete floor. I would rather put that money into a new shop and have 2 shops. I spent 6 figures on a new truck/equipment this year, so it going to have to wait unfortunately. I am considering a fabric building as a temporary shop (couple years) to get me out of the elements at least. I will start a new thread to see what TS has to say about fabric buildings. Thanks again to those who chimed in!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:41 PM

Thanked 1,367 Times in 925 Posts
850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of
Keep in mind the cost of a new building.... how big are you wanting a new building to be? Do you need 2 buildings?

Iím gonna guess someone would charge roughly 5k at least to lift and leave their beams there while the footing is done. Probably $4k in wall material. Say 12 or 13 yard is in footing cement so $2600 this time of year. Whatever out of pocket expenses a contractor would have for digging the footing out and removing what you have now. Say $1000 for machine and fuel.

So weíre at $12,600 ish. Leaving the same for labour for the contractor. I imagine youíd be looking at a good week and half. With a bit of waiting to set building on cement. I would say much more than a week before the weight is set down.

I donít think a quote for 26k is in realistic. But Iím just kinda mumbling off what I think it might end up costing.
The Following User Says Thank You to 850xpeps For This Useful Post:
canook (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

That makes sense 850xpeps. I am ignorant to pricing a job like this, I didn't know if it would cost 12k or 24k, or 36k etc...It's not that I thought the quote was unreasonable, it's knowing now that by the time I add new doors I will be into my shop for 30k plus tax and I don't have a concrete floor or insulation yet. I was thinking of a fabric building as an option for a couple of years. As I have been going back and forth with this in my own mind, I realized when I have considered a new shop, I have been only thinking of it as a finished price (125-150k?). Olympic quoted 40k for a 40x60 16ft with doors for 40k, Goodon a 42x60 15ft walls with doors 43.5k. So for 10k more than it would cost to "retro" my shop I could have a second larger shop. With that I would have shelter and security. Over time I can finish it in pieces of work. Concrete (heat), insulation, electrical, etc...many guys on here have more need for a 2nd shop than I do....I guess I just want it. I have been a bit of scatter-brain with this shop idea trying to beat old man winter. I may just get an rv shelter to keep the snow off of my big truck this winter. Thanks 850!
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM

Thanked 1,367 Times in 925 Posts
850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of
40k includes labour? Includes cement/footing? And in my opinion as a builder I would be doing slab and thickened edge in one shot. Then building on top of that. 40k doesnít seem like a price that includes labour for a 40x60. Iím assuming thatís exterior complete just needs insulation and interior cladding, electrical and such.

Iíd expect labour for framing and finishing on the exterior not including any cement to be around $25k maybe a bit more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Today, 07:55 PM

randas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850xpeps View Post
40k includes labour? Includes cement/footing? And in my opinion as a builder I would be doing slab and thickened edge in one shot. Then building on top of that. 40k doesnít seem like a price that includes labour for a 40x60. Iím assuming thatís exterior complete just needs insulation and interior cladding, electrical and such.

Iíd expect labour for framing and finishing on the exterior not including any cement to be around $25k maybe a bit more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Post frame with no floor, no doubt, based on the price and contractors.

Tags
building, jacking