If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > TrackShare Lounge

Old 07-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Abuser

B Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond repute
what to do for a job

since most of you guys on here have been around longer than me, i figured you guys would be good people to ask. when i'm older i plan on working in some sort of trade. electrician or plumber, maybe even something else i don't know yet, but my question is if i am a journyman, lets say plumber, would i make enough $$$ to have a nice house, drive newer vehicles and have a few toys? i've been thinking about what i wanna be when i grow up and i know i should "find something i like" and "money isn't everything" but i'd like to be able to afford to have a quad sled etc. so i'm looking at how much one of these poeple would make, just something to consider ya know?

thanks in advance

'05 Brute Force 750i - 28" silver backs, ITP wheels, MIMB snorkles, ViperMax 3500 winch, Amsteel rope, ASR tie rods.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:14 PM

Low-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant future
Power Electricians/Mechanical Techs in Gillam make over $100K, with a provided house. You have to work shift, and depends where you are if the management is any good, but you can't argue with the pay. I'm a Electrical Tech II, with is a power electrician/hydraulic station operator. I hate operating and shift work, but I love the shop and I love the town and the lifestyle. Drive around up here, there's a new truck, quad and sled in damn near every driveway, plus boats, cabins, all kinds of toys.

When I actually get to be an electrician, I couldn't be happier with the work. I get to troubleshoot control circuits, excitation and governor systems, maintain generators, breakers, transformers, plant auxilliaries. Basically maintain all of the electrical equipment that generates electricity. I love that part of the job, the operating, no so much, but, in my opinion, its still worth it.
K&N Filter with Outerwear Prefilter
Gearless Locker
Lift kit up front
Old 07-06-2007, 01:57 PM

Palssonater has a reputation beyond reputePalssonater has a reputation beyond reputePalssonater has a reputation beyond reputePalssonater has a reputation beyond reputePalssonater has a reputation beyond reputePalssonater has a reputation beyond reputePalssonater has a reputation beyond reputePalssonater has a reputation beyond reputePalssonater has a reputation beyond reputePalssonater has a reputation beyond reputePalssonater has a reputation beyond repute
My number one suggestion would be to not get married. Everyone says they take half, but they lie. They take more. HA HA HA.

Trades are definetly the way to go at the moment. With the ever expanding housing market and economy at a high, you can't go wrong building houses. HOWEVER, how long will it be for the the housing market crashes? I am no real estate agent so who knows. I believe it has the ability to keep climbing. If Ontario, BC and Alberta can get that big, I am sure we can handle it too.

Don't look past a technolgy diploma either. If you are strong in physics and math, electrical engineering tech at red river is a good option. They have come a long way in the program and now have a 3 year coop going on. There is also instrumentation diplomas that deal with control systems as well, but pertain more to pneumatic and hydraulic system monitoring and control.

That could get you into a world of control systems, power maintenance or a job like mine which is a specialized area of the power generation and transmission. Opens a lot of doors, put your 5 years in up north and can basically point to where you want to go with your experience. I hear Ft. Mac is starving for this type of education too.

I won't knock the plumbing job either. I have friends doing that down south and they are getting by fairly well. They are just starting out working for local companies and are making over 20 bucks an hour to start. I would definetly consider if it.

Another trade that a friend went into and is making a killing at is the refrigerant trade. Air Conditioning and large industrial refidgerant areas. Very good coin in that!

My wifes brother just got accepted into carpentry this fall and is very pumped up to go to that. There is a waiting list for most trades at Red River. so get you App in early. Also consider Assiniboine or Keewatin too.
'05 Honda Rubicon 500 CTE
27" OUTLAWS
Detroit Gearless Locker
Moose Lift Kit
Warn 3.0s Winch
60" Moose Plow
Garmin 60CS
Old 07-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Abuser

B Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond reputeB Man has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palssonater
Don't look past a technolgy diploma either. If you are strong in physics and math, electrical engineering tech at red river is a good option. They have come a long way in the program and now have a 3 year coop going on. There is also instrumentation diplomas that deal with control systems as well, but pertain more to pneumatic and hydraulic system monitoring and control.
i can understand how things work but my marks in physics sucks becuase i can't figure out 100's of different formula's.

i wanted to be a civil engineer for the longest time but i need pre-calc(i'm in applied) and need chemistry and physics, and i suck at both. so i kinda quit thinking about that.

'05 Brute Force 750i - 28" silver backs, ITP wheels, MIMB snorkles, ViperMax 3500 winch, Amsteel rope, ASR tie rods.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:52 PM

justgiver is a name known to alljustgiver is a name known to alljustgiver is a name known to alljustgiver is a name known to alljustgiver is a name known to alljustgiver is a name known to all
An option to Civil engineering is to take the 3 year red river course in Civil engineering technology and than if you feel you want to keep going you can go to lakehead university in Thunderbay Ontario and finish off your civil engineering degree. If not well you still have a civil technology diploma, which is becoming more and more recognized in Manitoba.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:44 PM

sled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant future
The biggest thing about having the toys and nice house- is how you spend the money you make. However their is going to be a shortage of skilled personnel in all the trades soon. I work as a millwright apprentice(industrial mechanic) and the pay is good depending on where you work. The average pay seems to be $25-30hr. Plumbers make good money, but Thier is NO WAY I'd want to work in other peoples ****. Sparkies(electricans) make really good money legislated by goverment $28.50 something(for non-contracted workers) and they have never ending side jobs.
A really well paying trade is pressure welding they are making $100 plus in Alberta.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:57 PM

Toban has a brilliant futureToban has a brilliant futureToban has a brilliant futureToban has a brilliant futureToban has a brilliant futureToban has a brilliant futureToban has a brilliant futureToban has a brilliant futureToban has a brilliant futureToban has a brilliant futureToban has a brilliant future
Can you weld? You should get your ticket to do "food grade" stainless welding. The guys we use here at work are so busy they can hardly keep up. If I phoned them today to get them here for a decent sized job, it would be September befor they could come. A good stainless welder that can do "Food Grade" can make a mint.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:23 PM

when i grow up i want a job like like camomans he has everything
Old 07-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Call/Text 204 757 4222

Thanked 5,008 Times in 2,017 Posts
HOUSEHUNTER has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSEHUNTER has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSEHUNTER has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSEHUNTER has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSEHUNTER has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSEHUNTER has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSEHUNTER has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSEHUNTER has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSEHUNTER has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSEHUNTER has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSEHUNTER has a reputation beyond repute
when I grow up .............ah forget it !!!
Old 07-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Why am I not fishing?

muddy is on a distinguished roadmuddy is on a distinguished roadmuddy is on a distinguished roadmuddy is on a distinguished road
Hey BMan, Don't go into welding as your trade. Nothing against the industry, I work in it myself and the money is most certainly good!. Whats missing in the trades are young people who are willing to apprentice and get dirty, not work on a computer only and expect 60 k a year.lol. My 2 cent. Go electrician, diesel mech, millwright,or plumber. Most of the guys in it are my age and will retire in 10 to 15 years. Your apprenticeship will be done by then, you will be a journeyman, and you can sign your own paycheck!! Us babyboomers are making room for a lot of jobs. Just pick a trade that you like and enjoy ,the rest will sort itself out on it's own.PS talk to your pop or uncles, they will give you the scoop
Old 07-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Mud is your friend!

1bigbird has a spectacular aura about1bigbird has a spectacular aura about
B man where you want to live has lot to say in what you should pic some jobs pay better in a diffrent area. Some aren't even in other areas. BTW Winnipeg Tech has some of the same classes as Red River, elect, carpenter ....
Old 07-06-2007, 08:07 PM

LOOGIN is a glorious beacon of lightLOOGIN is a glorious beacon of lightLOOGIN is a glorious beacon of lightLOOGIN is a glorious beacon of lightLOOGIN is a glorious beacon of lightLOOGIN is a glorious beacon of light
what about machinist or tool and die makers? I was millwright by trade then got into machining. Now I work in sales selling machine shop and fabricating equipment and supplies. Love sales, moneys great lots of perks.

Basically what I,m saying is once you know a trade you can go anywhere with it, be it your own company, sales ,consulting.

Sky's the limit

Good luck to you in whatever you do

2007 Grizzly SE FI
27" mudlite XTR
68 Chev Camaro 350 small block
2006 Honda Accord SE
2003 Ford F150
Old 07-06-2007, 08:51 PM

Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeTurbo has a reputation beyond repute
A couple years back I passed on a job operating a CNC machine making Hydraulic parts so I could go to university, now I'm kicking myself!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:45 PM

Goatmanatv is just really niceGoatmanatv is just really niceGoatmanatv is just really niceGoatmanatv is just really niceGoatmanatv is just really nice
i'd join the poo team and test drive quads and sleds all day all year
Old 07-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled_head_440
The biggest thing about having the toys and nice house- is how you spend the money you make. However their is going to be a shortage of skilled personnel in all the trades soon. I work as a millwright apprentice(industrial mechanic) and the pay is good depending on where you work. The average pay seems to be $25-30hr. Plumbers make good money, but Thier is NO WAY I'd want to work in other peoples ****. Sparkies(electricans) make really good money legislated by goverment $28.50 something(for non-contracted workers) and they have never ending side jobs.
A really well paying trade is pressure welding they are making $100 plus in Alberta.
looks like sparky it is, been thinking of it for a while and it always seems thats the one i like. i know all about side jobs too, helped my old man with a few, pretty easy for the most part just some grunt work. i did all the wire pulling and crap. i still have a long time to think about it but before i know it i'll be filling in college applications.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:05 PM

LOOGIN is a glorious beacon of lightLOOGIN is a glorious beacon of lightLOOGIN is a glorious beacon of lightLOOGIN is a glorious beacon of lightLOOGIN is a glorious beacon of lightLOOGIN is a glorious beacon of light
Where were you going to work at?(making hydraulic cylinder parts) When I first got out of trade school I got a job at princess auto making hydraulic cylinders pay was awesome about $12.50/hr 15 years ago plus benifits. They now have profit sharing for every employee and get this : the profit sharing on average equals 5 months of salary pay!!I sell to this company now and I still see the same guys I used to work with.

How could you leave ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo
A couple years back I passed on a job operating a CNC machine making Hydraulic parts so I could go to university, now I'm kicking myself!

2007 Grizzly SE FI
27" mudlite XTR
68 Chev Camaro 350 small block
2006 Honda Accord SE
2003 Ford F150
Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 PM
not quailified to answer

Thanked 2,731 Times in 1,156 Posts
Fat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatmanatv
i'd join the poo team and test drive quads and sleds all day all year
Now thats a job I'd like kick the crap out of quads and sled's and not worry about break downs. How'd you land such a great job? Poo might get a better idea of how there machines stand up with the TS team. Real world testing
All Chef's @#%you
Old 07-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Brokenhead OffRoad Riders

Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,052 Posts
mailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond reputemailman has a reputation beyond repute
Don't worry as much about the pay, as how much you enjoy the job. No money is worth it if you hate what you're doing. Also, as someone else said, no matter how much you make, you'll spend it, especially if you have kids. Keep it in your pants and you'll have all the toys you want.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:56 AM

sled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant futuresled_head_440 has a brilliant future
Very true mailman.

The more you make the more you spend. And using rubbers is just like investing.(I learn from expeirence) j/k The kids smiles are worth every dollar you spend on them.

But seriously the best thing you do is manage your money and try to stay out of debt and buy things as you can pay for them(Again I've learned from past mistakes)
Old 07-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Administrator

Thanked 3,366 Times in 1,069 Posts
Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWolf has a reputation beyond reputeWolf has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
Don't worry as much about the pay, as how much you enjoy the job. No money is worth it if you hate what you're doing. Also, as someone else said, no matter how much you make, you'll spend it, especially if you have kids. Keep it in your pants and you'll have all the toys you want.
There's some truth to that...well the first part anyway !! LOL
You really can go wrong with most any trade as there are shortages all over. Home builders are paying good dollar for people who are willing to work hard and learn the business even with little/ no experience. Electricians, plumbers, HVAC, and any mechanics related (especially diesel) are always in demand. But like mailman says...pick one in a field you enjoy, otherwise you will just waste time in something you will end up leaving anyway....TRUST ME ON THIS ONE ! Good luck to you in whatever you choose....