If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > Homes Shops Garages

Old 08-18-2017, 01:50 PM

CRV is on a distinguished road
Question Decking Stain??

Just pressure washed deck. Can anyone recommend a good product that will last for more than couple years. Should i just leave deck turn grey? Fed up with doing this every 2 or 3 yrs.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:31 PM

Bin muddin is a splendid one to beholdBin muddin is a splendid one to beholdBin muddin is a splendid one to beholdBin muddin is a splendid one to beholdBin muddin is a splendid one to beholdBin muddin is a splendid one to beholdBin muddin is a splendid one to beholdBin muddin is a splendid one to behold
Good luck I'm in the same situation and it seems like anything I've researched only last a couple of years.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:11 PM

yamahay is a jewel in the roughyamahay is a jewel in the roughyamahay is a jewel in the roughyamahay is a jewel in the rough
I used to work for a local paint manufacturer called Northern Paint and I bumped into one of their reps a few years ago after they were purchased by Cloverdale Paint and he was raving about a deck product they introduced called Sharkskin for decks. I can't vouch for it as someone who has used it, but they were excited about it's ability to hold up. Ultimately we're talking about a layer of paint a few thousands of an inch thick exposed to the elements 24/7 that we walk on several times a day which always made deck products the leading cause of performance complaints.

Last edited by yamahay; 08-18-2017 at 03:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to yamahay For This Useful Post:
CRV (08-20-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 03:21 PM

knockoff88 is on a distinguished road
Behrs

I just power washed mine and did a lot of research and actually listened to a sales person as well. I ended up buying Behrs Oil Based Stain at Home Depot. Apparently no need for stripper in a few years and can just power wash and restain. With water based you have to strip and restain. I eliminated one step. $50 per gallon.

All then research I did and people I talked to said its a pipe dream to get more than 3 years out of a stain unless its covered or a vertical such as a fence. The only other advice is to make sure your deck has time to dry before applying the stain because it won't penetrate properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to knockoff88 For This Useful Post:
CRV (08-20-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 07:21 PM

TJ500 will become famous soon enoughTJ500 will become famous soon enough
I've too had best luck with an oil penetrating stain.... Sikkens comes to mind... For a while, these oil stains were no longer available in Canada and I would order from USA and have it shipped to Pembina ND, before picking it up.... I do believe now, Windsor Plywood are again selling it... A great product but 3 years might be a stretch too.... I've learned the hard way, not to use a product that goes on like paint and skins over rather than penetrates... My deck is cedar, particularly a nuisance....... Composite deck next time, comfort vs pain-in-the-butt factor is just too close... TJ

Albert Einstein, 1879 - 1955

'Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.'

'Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.'
The Following User Says Thank You to TJ500 For This Useful Post:
CRV (08-20-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 08:03 PM

BVERFEVER is a name known to allBVERFEVER is a name known to allBVERFEVER is a name known to allBVERFEVER is a name known to allBVERFEVER is a name known to allBVERFEVER is a name known to all
Just starting a new house build.
It will be composite for sure.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:37 PM

Thanked 1,379 Times in 935 Posts
850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of850xpeps has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVERFEVER View Post
Just starting a new house build.

It will be composite for sure.

I vote against composite. It shrinks and expands too much looks like crap imo and needs too much support so it don't droop.
The Following User Says Thank You to 850xpeps For This Useful Post:
squishw (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 01:22 PM

Thanked 6,661 Times in 2,640 Posts
boak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond reputeboak has a reputation beyond repute
In WPG just over 10 years ago I went Behr's top of the line solid color deck stain.
Will never do it again.
Needs attention every 3 or so years or it LOOKS terrible.
Once its on no going back.
If I was to do it over again I would go Thompson water seal only and hit it every year or so with a re coat. When Thompson clear starts to wear at least it dosen't look terrible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boak For This Useful Post:
CRV (08-20-2017), knockoff88 (08-21-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 10:34 PM
Quadder/Sledhead

Thanked 2,375 Times in 791 Posts
JAG GAL has a reputation beyond reputeJAG GAL has a reputation beyond reputeJAG GAL has a reputation beyond reputeJAG GAL has a reputation beyond reputeJAG GAL has a reputation beyond reputeJAG GAL has a reputation beyond reputeJAG GAL has a reputation beyond reputeJAG GAL has a reputation beyond reputeJAG GAL has a reputation beyond reputeJAG GAL has a reputation beyond reputeJAG GAL has a reputation beyond repute
I am just wondering if anyone has tried any of these products? TWP 200 Series, Armstrong Clark and Defy Extreme. I'm unsure what to do with our deck as well. https://www.deckstainhelp.com/best-d...in-for-canada/

My neighbor tried Bher Deckover. It was a chore to apply being thick like pudding. They did all the proper prep and after one winter it started flaking of in large sheets. Bher offered to pay for her to try another product but nothing gets great reviews so she said no she wants her money back. After several calls the company finally agreed to give her money back for any full or partial containers she had leftover with receipt.

The Following User Says Thank You to JAG GAL For This Useful Post:
CRV (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 08:04 AM

knockoff88 is on a distinguished road
I was going to go with composite as well and was talked out of it. Reasoning is unless you have a 1Mil house and put the most expensive composite down you are getting no better than wood. I was told not to waste my money and time.
The Following User Says Thank You to knockoff88 For This Useful Post:
squishw (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 09:37 AM

gatorman is on a distinguished road
had all the same problems with behr stain, garbage. Use flood brand from Dulux, you won't be disappointed and this won't become a bi-annual process
The Following User Says Thank You to gatorman For This Useful Post:
CRV (08-21-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 12:44 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Thanked 1,600 Times in 588 Posts
polaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant futurepolaris_dave has a brilliant future
Is there a water seal type product which can be applied on top of the stain to help protect it and make it last longer?

Old 08-22-2017, 01:29 PM

Bin muddin is a splendid one to beholdBin muddin is a splendid one to beholdBin muddin is a splendid one to beholdBin muddin is a splendid one to beholdBin muddin is a splendid one to beholdBin muddin is a splendid one to beholdBin muddin is a splendid one to beholdBin muddin is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman View Post
had all the same problems with behr stain, garbage. Use flood brand from Dulux, you won't be disappointed and this won't become a bi-annual process
Where did you buy it?
Old 08-22-2017, 02:56 PM

sleeper is a jewel in the roughsleeper is a jewel in the roughsleeper is a jewel in the rough
My vote is an oil stain also. In fact I have some at cabin to coat my deck for the first time since built 8 years ago(currently original pressure treating)......I used a white oil stain on my fence in Winnipeg 17 years ago and no flakes as it's a stain. Still looks good.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Barkerlakebob.....!!

Thanked 3,940 Times in 1,819 Posts
barkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris_dave View Post
Is there a water seal type product which can be applied on top of the stain to help protect it and make it last longer?
I used Thompson's Water Seal and it works pretty good.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:07 PM

canook is on a distinguished road
I used the Sharkskin product from Cloverdale on my 30x48 shop and on ~800 lin. feet of 3 rail fence and am happy with the results over the last 4 years. Would use again. I think it was ~$50/gal. and I saved 20% off with my CAA card. I think they have a BOGO sale every spring but don't quote me on that
The Following User Says Thank You to canook For This Useful Post:
CRV (08-24-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 05:43 PM

canook is on a distinguished road
...and as you likely know surface prep is key. Better a mediocre product and a good prep, than a good product and a mediocre prep.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:13 PM
Uber Duber User

hannibal has much to be proud ofhannibal has much to be proud ofhannibal has much to be proud ofhannibal has much to be proud ofhannibal has much to be proud ofhannibal has much to be proud ofhannibal has much to be proud ofhannibal has much to be proud ofhannibal has much to be proud of
Yup, the Behr paint on my deck is flaking off as well, not even 2 years old... Now how to strip it!?
Old 08-24-2017, 03:13 PM

Thanked 3,397 Times in 1,377 Posts
ProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannibal View Post
Yup, the Behr paint on my deck is flaking off as well, not even 2 years old... Now how to strip it!?
Pressure washer?
2001 yamaha 4 stroke golf cart, 6" Jakes list, 22" Kenda Tires
Old 08-27-2017, 07:45 PM

gatorman is on a distinguished road
that flood stain is an acrylic and I agree prep is everything, rent a floor sander if you got a big area, a pressure washer tends to leave impressions and you end up sanding it anyways, been my experience anyways, and also wait till at least to days of no rain has past before starting
The Following User Says Thank You to gatorman For This Useful Post:
CRV (08-28-2017)

Tags
decking, stain