If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > Snowmobile Brand Discussions > Arctic Cat Sleds

Old 02-04-2017, 09:09 PM

Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,184 Posts
rws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond repute
awaiting new stator

got the bad one out

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rws For This Useful Post:
gtrussell (02-05-2017), Winslow (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 10:39 AM

FeelTheThunder will become famous soon enough
You went with the aftermarket one? What about getting yours rewound? Maybe you should keep it just in case.
Your stator is $1513.95 Can.
Take care of your rotor while it is out, it appears to be made of Arctic Cat gold also.
If you didn't already know use blue loctite on the base and stator bolts.

A West trail is groomed ALL the way to the Manitoba Border, even across High Lake. Land trails are great but on the lakes the groomer could not cut through the ruts too good leftover from people riding in the warm weather.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:33 AM

Winslow has a spectacular aura aboutWinslow has a spectacular aura about
Looks like that job is not for the fainted heart ... Expense part as per FeelTheThunder ... Does not look like a fun job....
Old 02-05-2017, 12:27 PM

rws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheThunder View Post
You went with the aftermarket one? What about getting yours rewound? Maybe you should keep it just in case.
Your stator is $1513.95 Can.
Take care of your rotor while it is out, it appears to be made of Arctic Cat gold also.
If you didn't already know use blue loctite on the base and stator bolts.

A West trail is groomed ALL the way to the Manitoba Border, even across High Lake. Land trails are great but on the lakes the groomer could not cut through the ruts too good leftover from people riding in the warm weather.
Yes...went with SPI brand stator as recommended by a previous Cat dealer I've bought sleds from. $140 shipped to me.

Checked with a local guy who used to rewind electric motors/stators but with cheap replacement parts now a days he hardly does that work anymore.

I've got a shop manual for the sled so use of Loctite and torque specs are covered.

I'll have to get to ON soon...the pipeline is calling. Prolly be riding myself though...the smart guys will shun me until I get a new sled.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rws For This Useful Post:
ASS-MAN (02-06-2017), freelance (02-05-2017), tonym63 (02-05-2017), TOOTHPICK (02-06-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws View Post
I'll have to get to ON soon...the pipeline is calling. Prolly be riding myself though...the smart guys will shun me until I get a new sled.
Have no fear I will come and rescue you -- maybe I need to bring the gang -- RJ and Trapper and myself -- Just like the last time...

We will have to do a run this winter again
The Following User Says Thank You to Winslow For This Useful Post:
rws (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 08:39 PM
Life's Too Short

Thanked 4,703 Times in 1,608 Posts
freelance has a reputation beyond reputefreelance has a reputation beyond reputefreelance has a reputation beyond reputefreelance has a reputation beyond reputefreelance has a reputation beyond reputefreelance has a reputation beyond reputefreelance has a reputation beyond reputefreelance has a reputation beyond reputefreelance has a reputation beyond reputefreelance has a reputation beyond reputefreelance has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by rws View Post
Yes...went with SPI brand stator as recommended by a previous Cat dealer I've bought sleds from. $140 shipped to me.

Checked with a local guy who used to rewind electric motors/stators but with cheap replacement parts now a days he hardly does that work anymore.

I've got a shop manual for the sled so use of Loctite and torque specs are covered.

I call BS !!

Let's do it Wednesday or Thursday !!
Old 02-05-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
Looks like that job is not for the fainted heart ... Expense part as per FeelTheThunder ... Does not look like a fun job....
ended up taking a lot more apart than I thought would be necessary to get stator out...figured that taking the exhaust and recoil assembly off would do it. To get access to stator ground wire cap screw I ended up taking fascia panels, chassis bracket/servo motor, throttle bodies, air box and starter off too. Well at least there was a bonus...got to take a good look at the reeds.

The Following User Says Thank You to rws For This Useful Post:
Winslow (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelance View Post
i call bs !!

Let's do it wednesday or thursday !!
10-4

Old 02-06-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
Have no fear I will come and rescue you -- maybe I need to bring the gang -- RJ and Trapper and myself -- Just like the last time...

We will have to do a run this winter again
based on averages there's only 4 to 5 weeks left...got to get to it
Old 02-06-2017, 09:29 AM

LIMO-MAN is a splendid one to beholdLIMO-MAN is a splendid one to beholdLIMO-MAN is a splendid one to beholdLIMO-MAN is a splendid one to beholdLIMO-MAN is a splendid one to beholdLIMO-MAN is a splendid one to beholdLIMO-MAN is a splendid one to behold
any idea as to why the stator took a crap on you
Old 02-06-2017, 09:55 AM

gtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the rough
Probably 15725 miles has a fair bit to do with it. Could be quite a few things checking the toilet paper roll.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMO-MAN View Post
any idea as to why the stator took a crap on you
excessive heat has a detrimental effect on stators...breaks down the insulation

The 2015 XF8000 Sno Pro with the 137" track in a long tunnel has a history of overheating...the track doesn't line up with throwing enough snow on the rear exchanger. This particular model needs lots of loose snow to keep the temp light off. Those that have ridden with me know the situation. Even with scratchers I'll get an occasion light and have to find loose snow off trail.

I had an insider at Cat help me by interceding with the tech department and the only thing they could come up with to help the overheating situation was tunnel flares, extended flap and ice scratchers.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rws For This Useful Post:
freelance (02-07-2017), gtrussell (02-06-2017), LIMO-MAN (02-06-2017), TOOTHPICK (02-06-2017), Winslow (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:29 PM

Another fix with the sled apart for stator replacement...the splines on starter motor shaft and gear were just about shot. I used 3 thin pins equally spaced to center the gear on shaft and then welded it on...nothing to lose as the starter motor and gear would have had to be replaced.

Last edited by rws; 02-06-2017 at 03:30 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rws For This Useful Post:
freelance (02-07-2017), TOOTHPICK (02-06-2017), Winslow (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:57 PM

steelman is on a distinguished road
nice fix ross that starter assembly could use some reengineering
Old 02-07-2017, 12:11 AM
"Switched Back "

Peter Rabbit is a name known to allPeter Rabbit is a name known to allPeter Rabbit is a name known to allPeter Rabbit is a name known to allPeter Rabbit is a name known to allPeter Rabbit is a name known to all
Lots of things on any machine that make you go hmmmm. What the heck were they thinking.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:38 AM

I take apart my sled with all those parts and we would only be carrying them
to the garbage... I know how to grease and change belt-- plus spark plugs... the
rest I am totally lost... RWS good job on keep things straight

Tags
awaiting, stator