If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > TrackShare Lounge

Old 11-17-2009, 01:28 PM

lakercr is a jewel in the roughlakercr is a jewel in the roughlakercr is a jewel in the rough
Looking for someone who does hardwood floors

I just pulled all of the old rads & boiler out of my house and switched over to forced air. I have four spots where the floors need to be touched up, anyone in this line of work on the forum?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:46 PM
General Manager

Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about
not in that line of work but have done alot of hardwood floors, what kind of damage needs fixing?
05 honda trx 400ex
04 arctic cat dvx400
1994 dodge dually 1 ton reg cab diesel
05 arctic cat pro mod 800 sno pro

Old 11-17-2009, 04:16 PM

lakercr is a jewel in the roughlakercr is a jewel in the roughlakercr is a jewel in the rough
In each room that used to have a radiator there are 2 holes in the floor, faded hardwood, and 4 imprints where the radiator legs used to be. In some rooms, the baseboard behind the rad looks pretty faded as well.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Fort Garry Heating/Air

lakeracer900 has a spectacular aura aboutlakeracer900 has a spectacular aura about
All this work because of Kibbles! LOL!
But the furnace works great doesnt it!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeracer900 View Post
All this work because of Kibbles! LOL!
But the furnace works great doesnt it!
Furnace works awesome! When are you coming by with the big drill? Momma's new washer/dryer are in on the 20th...!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:59 AM
General Manager

Kenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura aboutKenny has a spectacular aura about
there is a product called renewal, you can buy it from home depot, i think its on sale at the moment for around 60$ or so, it is a complete kit for refinishing hardwood floors and the best part, its all sand free, you might have to buy a little can of stain to tint it to the right color or if you have stains in the floor you can put a little bleach in a spray bottle and lightly spray the stain and let it sit till the stain bleaches out then you will have to stain that small spot and wipe it dry and keep doing so till it matches, it wont be perfect but you can get it to about 80%, hope this helps you out a bit, anymore questions feel free to ask:)
05 honda trx 400ex
04 arctic cat dvx400
1994 dodge dually 1 ton reg cab diesel
05 arctic cat pro mod 800 sno pro

Old 11-18-2009, 03:19 PM

mb204 can only hope to improve
If your hardwood is faded.. your best bet is to sand the whole room and refinish it. By imprints>>> do you mean the floor is dented? How big are the "holes" in your floor? If they are nail holes... all you need is some putty. If they are larger.. odds are you are S.O.L. unless you have some original leftover pieces.

The sad part about older hardwood wood is you can't find pieces to replace them... unless you find someone with the same wood in their house and they are removing it.

I work in the flooring industry and sadly it seems most folks are removing the old hardwood (such a shame) and replacing with new hardwood or laminate. The best way i have found (if you want to keep the original hardwood) is to sand off the finish to bare wood and refinish. Especially if you have fading, stains or it just looks worn. Most will use Verathane or some similar product. The downside is it smells and you can't really stay in your house unless you can handle the fumes.. There is a product out like the one Mr. DP was talking about.. where you just apply the product and it refinishes the floor with no fumes. I'll will get back to you with a line of products, if you'd like.

You can find these products at Home depot.. just be careful which one you purchase, as there are ones to refinish the clear coat by filling in the scratches and there's the one you use to refinish your hardwood.

My personal opinion... do it once do it right, refinish your floor. Not cheap but, worth it in the long run.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the replieseveryone.

I'd prefer to not redo the floors again. They've been done a few times already, and I don't think there's much meat left on the boards before I'm down to the tongue/groove. Plus, these are an older oil finish, and have an aged look that matches a lot of the other oak trim in the house.

I've saved enough of the wood I removed from cutting in the new ducts to repair most of the trouble spots. Below is my Kijiji ad for the old rads - you can kinda see what the floors look like and the holes I have to fix. I can put up a few better pics tonight. This isn't a huge job, and I'd normally just do it myself, but I have less than 2 months until the baby is here and a ton of other jobs to get done.

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?A...fczQk%2Fg%2Bgo*

Tags
floors, hardwood