If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > Snowmobile Brand Discussions > Polaris Sleds

Old 11-05-2016, 01:33 PM

asiemens has a spectacular aura aboutasiemens has a spectacular aura about
2007 fst reverse

Picked up a sled recently for dirt cheap knowing the reverse was questionable and needed one or two other things. We started working on fixing the reverse now and what happens is, we hit the button, the dash lights up as it should, the reverse motor does nothing and you drive forward. Hit the button again, lights go off, the motor turns to disengage the reverse and since it never engaged it just sits there and clicks, then you drive forward. So I disconnect the wiring on the reverse motor and did a direct connection to a battery and tuned it both ways by switching the polarity, so we ran the reverse motor right until it was engaged in reverse, kept it disconnected, fired up the sled and drove backward. Connected the wires, the dash didn't light up, hit the button, the dash lit up, the reverse motor didn't turn, still drove backward. Hit the button, lights went off, reverse motor turned, drove forward. Pulled the plug, hooked up the test light, hit the button, dash lit up, test light didn't, switches to testing the other wire, hit the button, dash turned off, test light got excited. SO, what I know is that the reverse motor works, the dash light works, and the wiring only sends the signal one way. It's a 2 wire plug so I'm guessing that to switch the way the reverse motor turns it just changes the polarity. The wiring harnesses all look good so I don't think it's a broken wire, I think it is the brain somewhere isn't telling it to reverse when the button is pressed.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:56 PM

parkerbrotha will become famous soon enoughparkerbrotha will become famous soon enough
any way you can try a new CDI?
Old 11-05-2016, 09:34 PM
"Switched Back "

Peter Rabbit is a name known to allPeter Rabbit is a name known to allPeter Rabbit is a name known to allPeter Rabbit is a name known to allPeter Rabbit is a name known to allPeter Rabbit is a name known to all
If I had connection I would get some c4 for you. all your troubles would go away. The FST is a nightmare. I had one. Every time I went out it cost me money or left me stranded. My brother wanted to buy one. he found a brand new one with no miles. I told him to run
Old 11-06-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbrotha View Post
any way you can try a new CDI?
How does the CDI tie into that?
Old 11-06-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rabbit View Post
If I had connection I would get some c4 for you. all your troubles would go away. The FST is a nightmare. I had one. Every time I went out it cost me money or left me stranded. My brother wanted to buy one. he found a brand new one with no miles. I told him to run
This guy must have tried to go snowmobiling LOTS! It's got 12,000km on it so that would be a lot of attempts to get stranded. I don't know, we'll see what happens, could go either way, it'll be an experience anyway, just want to get he reverse fixed.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:18 PM
drill'r

backwoods500 has a spectacular aura aboutbackwoods500 has a spectacular aura about
i got 5000 miles and 200hrs on my 06 fst switchback and besides the upper bearing on chaincase blowing its been good
The Following User Says Thank You to backwoods500 For This Useful Post:
asiemens (11-07-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 08:58 PM
"Switched Back "

Peter Rabbit is a name known to allPeter Rabbit is a name known to allPeter Rabbit is a name known to allPeter Rabbit is a name known to allPeter Rabbit is a name known to allPeter Rabbit is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods500 View Post
i got 5000 miles and 200hrs on my 06 fst switchback and besides the upper bearing on chaincase blowing its been good
I had upper chain case bearing blow, front track torque arm snap, turbo bolts fall out, alternator went twice, intercooler tube fall off, front track shock come out of the top eyelet and take out the track , numerous idler wheels fall off, alternator mount break, lower alternator mount break off in the motor, I replaced the M10 with an airwave M10, reverse motor quit, replaced it with a different motor. speedo quit. Cel light on all the time, broke three bels at 200 bucks a pop in one ride. Ya I'm not a fan of the FST. Every one I know that has had one has the same opinion as I do. RUN
Old 11-06-2016, 10:11 PM

new to can am 800 has a spectacular aura aboutnew to can am 800 has a spectacular aura aboutnew to can am 800 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiemens View Post
Picked up a sled recently for dirt cheap knowing the reverse was questionable and needed one or two other things. We started working on fixing the reverse now and what happens is, we hit the button, the dash lights up as it should, the reverse motor does nothing and you drive forward. Hit the button again, lights go off, the motor turns to disengage the reverse and since it never engaged it just sits there and clicks, then you drive forward. So I disconnect the wiring on the reverse motor and did a direct connection to a battery and tuned it both ways by switching the polarity, so we ran the reverse motor right until it was engaged in reverse, kept it disconnected, fired up the sled and drove backward. Connected the wires, the dash didn't light up, hit the button, the dash lit up, the reverse motor didn't turn, still drove backward. Hit the button, lights went off, reverse motor turned, drove forward. Pulled the plug, hooked up the test light, hit the button, dash lit up, test light didn't, switches to testing the other wire, hit the button, dash turned off, test light got excited. SO, what I know is that the reverse motor works, the dash light works, and the wiring only sends the signal one way. It's a 2 wire plug so I'm guessing that to switch the way the reverse motor turns it just changes the polarity. The wiring harnesses all look good so I don't think it's a broken wire, I think it is the brain somewhere isn't telling it to reverse when the button is pressed.
Mabey try and message a user named pipes he know these machines
Old 11-07-2016, 01:45 AM

ghostrider will become famous soon enoughghostrider will become famous soon enough
I have a 07 parts machine with a bit left let me know if you need anything

Old 11-07-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rabbit View Post
I had upper chain case bearing blow, front track torque arm snap, turbo bolts fall out, alternator went twice, intercooler tube fall off, front track shock come out of the top eyelet and take out the track , numerous idler wheels fall off, alternator mount break, lower alternator mount break off in the motor, I replaced the M10 with an airwave M10, reverse motor quit, replaced it with a different motor. speedo quit. Cel light on all the time, broke three bels at 200 bucks a pop in one ride. Ya I'm not a fan of the FST. Every one I know that has had one has the same opinion as I do. RUN
Too late to run now! It's already in our possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by new to can am 800 View Post
Mabey try and message a user named pipes he know these machines
Thanks! I'll give him a try

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I have a 07 parts machine with a bit left let me know if you need anything
I'm working on putting a list of parts together that I suspect, I'll pm you the list.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:27 PM

parkerbrotha will become famous soon enoughparkerbrotha will become famous soon enough
Quote:
How does the CDI tie into that?
just throwing that out there as a possibility. I'm not familiar with the FST but a buddy who works at a polaris dealership mentioned that actuator issues with these sleds were more common than not. Any way you can pull any codes from it to see if there is something intermittent that it may spit out?
Old 11-07-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbrotha View Post
just throwing that out there as a possibility. I'm not familiar with the FST but a buddy who works at a polaris dealership mentioned that actuator issues with these sleds were more common than not. Any way you can pull any codes from it to see if there is something intermittent that it may spit out?
OK, fair enough, unless it's an OBD2, there is no way that I know of to pull codes. The motor/actuator itself is good so far as I can tell.

This is kinda what I'm thinking for parts that could be shot.

http://www.polarispartshouse.com/oem...cal-components

I'm thinking 1, 2, and 12 on this page.

1 and 2 are 13 and 14 on this page
http://www.polarispartshouse.com/oem...gearcase-cover

All 3 are in the vicinity circled in this picture
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2b...ew?usp=sharing

If you look really close you can see 12 kind of in the middle and just left.

All of these parts are attached to the same wiring harness as the reverse motor, just off of a branch a couple inches back from the motor.

http://www.polarispartshouse.com/oem...ness-main-hood

In the top left corner of the image it shows all the parts I'm talking about.

power point 2
reverse motor
fwd limit switch
h-bridge
reverse limit switch

The fwd limit switch, H-bridge, and reverse limit switch, are the one's we're suspecting might have issues.

Last edited by asiemens; 11-07-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: adding a run down of parts that might be cooked
Old 11-08-2016, 10:31 AM

Thanked 1,205 Times in 798 Posts
'alljackedup' has much to be proud of'alljackedup' has much to be proud of'alljackedup' has much to be proud of'alljackedup' has much to be proud of'alljackedup' has much to be proud of'alljackedup' has much to be proud of'alljackedup' has much to be proud of'alljackedup' has much to be proud of'alljackedup' has much to be proud of
Sold my fst with 8000 relatively trouble free miles. Alternator issues. 2 belts. Front arm cracked. Just small things... I do know however my cousin found instructions on the interwebs on an adapter to make then you can use an OBDll code reader and it worked perfect for him on his 07. Better than being bent over At the dealer
Old 11-08-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'alljackedup' View Post
Sold my fst with 8000 relatively trouble free miles. Alternator issues. 2 belts. Front arm cracked. Just small things... I do know however my cousin found instructions on the interwebs on an adapter to make then you can use an OBDll code reader and it worked perfect for him on his 07. Better than being bent over At the dealer
That is brilliant!!
With a little looking I found this:
http://www.polarisfiles.com/forum/in...ndpost&p=42220

edit:
Got some parts ordered, we're going to test out this code scanner theory

Last edited by asiemens; 11-08-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
OK, fair enough, unless it's an OBD2, there is no way that I know of to pull codes. The motor/actuator itself is good so far as I can tell.

This is kinda what I'm thinking for parts that could be shot.

http://www.polarispartshouse.com/oem...cal-components

I'm thinking 1, 2, and 12 on this page.

1 and 2 are 13 and 14 on this page
http://www.polarispartshouse.com/oem...gearcase-cover

All 3 are in the vicinity circled in this picture
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2b...ew?usp=sharing

If you look really close you can see 12 kind of in the middle and just left.

All of these parts are attached to the same wiring harness as the reverse motor, just off of a branch a couple inches back from the motor.

http://www.polarispartshouse.com/oem...ness-main-hood

In the top left corner of the image it shows all the parts I'm talking about.

power point 2
reverse motor
fwd limit switch
h-bridge
reverse limit switch

The fwd limit switch, H-bridge, and reverse limit switch, are the one's we're suspecting might have issues.
AND SHE WORKS!!!
Thank you ghostrider for the parts, it was the H-Bridge (little black box). We now have a fully functioning "tractor"! I'm looking forward to seeing what this thing can do in the snow!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asiemens For This Useful Post:
ghostrider (11-14-2016), JeffGordon (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 12:21 PM

05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold
They can be sneaky fast and decent on fuel. The Iq chassis really is a decent chassis. A little bulky, a little slow turning, and plagues with less than stellar motors. But really I always had a riot riding my 700 dragon, when the motor would stay together.

Im still pondering a 136" switchback fst for a trail sled in the next year or 2. Then I can run a longer sled for off trail and occasional mountain trip.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05xc7 View Post
They can be sneaky fast and decent on fuel. The Iq chassis really is a decent chassis. A little bulky, a little slow turning, and plagues with less than stellar motors. But really I always had a riot riding my 700 dragon, when the motor would stay together.

Im still pondering a 136" switchback fst for a trail sled in the next year or 2. Then I can run a longer sled for off trail and occasional mountain trip.
Was that a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke in there?
Old 11-14-2016, 12:59 PM

05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold05xc7 is a splendid one to behold
It was a 2 stroke.

The 750 weber motor is a good motor. Has shown up in lots of places over the years. Bad boy has a new SxS with a slightly different non turbo version of the weber motor. I understand that weber was sold off and is now owned by one of the giant golf cart manufacturer's who also owns and builds the bad boy SxS's.
So what im saying is that parts should continue to be available far after Polaris wipes their hands of the Weber motor.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05xc7 View Post
It was a 2 stroke.

The 750 weber motor is a good motor. Has shown up in lots of places over the years. Bad boy has a new SxS with a slightly different non turbo version of the weber motor. I understand that weber was sold off and is now owned by one of the giant golf cart manufacturer's who also owns and builds the bad boy SxS's.
So what im saying is that parts should continue to be available far after Polaris wipes their hands of the Weber motor.
I don't have any experience yet with 4 stroke sled engines but as a rule 4 stroke tends to be substantially more reliable if you maintain it right, so I'm looking forward to this!
Old 11-14-2016, 04:21 PM

good luck with it and glad you got it working!

Tags
reverse