If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > Snowmobile General Discussions

Old 03-09-2017, 01:09 PM

tyndall is a name known to alltyndall is a name known to alltyndall is a name known to alltyndall is a name known to alltyndall is a name known to alltyndall is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX 500 View Post
Does it say how fast the semi was going? Or are we assuming. Now. Either way highway was closed but who's to say he wasn't already on the Rd after it was closed? Lots more to this story. Video shows a lot of facts but there are also obvious unknowns. And I agree 100% that spin out was no accident. Sledders were not expecting a semi on the highway??!! It's a highway. I would say more likely that the trucker wasn't expecting sleds on the highway!!
Exactly. Closing a highway means you can't enter it, it doesn't mean you can't drive on it if you are already there.

The guy with the dashcam is just a self-important stormchaser. He has no authority as an emergency vehicle, regardless of him decorating his vehicle with flashy lights and watching Twister. If people weren't supposed to be driving, then that includes him as well.

So there was already a pickup on the highway attending to the car in the ditch, as well as another vehicle driving around getting facebook views, and somehow these idiots didn't expect there to be any more traffic.

If it was a stupid deer and a clear night in perfect conditions, there would be no fault to the driver. Because it was a human knowingly breaking the law and doing something incredibly stupid, the driver could lose his career. That's bs.

One thing's for sure, the snowmobilers sure have the spin machine working overtime on this story.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tyndall For This Useful Post:
drawoc (03-09-2017), Oerlikon80 (03-10-2017), rally (03-19-2017), RUNNER (03-09-2017), TRX 500 (03-09-2017), w o 7 mucker (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 01:30 PM
BELIEVE

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,161 Posts
TRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond repute
Yesterday I couldn't spell truck driver and today I is one

BELIEVE...
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE

The Following User Says Thank You to TRX 500 For This Useful Post:
mudinmycrack (03-10-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 02:28 PM
You want it when?

Thanked 2,184 Times in 919 Posts
skipper has a reputation beyond reputeskipper has a reputation beyond reputeskipper has a reputation beyond reputeskipper has a reputation beyond reputeskipper has a reputation beyond reputeskipper has a reputation beyond reputeskipper has a reputation beyond reputeskipper has a reputation beyond reputeskipper has a reputation beyond reputeskipper has a reputation beyond reputeskipper has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Yesterday I couldn't spell truck driver and today I is one

The trucking industry is going the same way as the cab industry! People used to respect our profession. Not so much anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
14 inch itp ss rims
SLEDLESS
GOT ARCTIC CAT GOT

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to skipper For This Useful Post:
HRL (03-11-2017), juicedcummins (03-10-2017), Oerlikon80 (03-10-2017), tonym63 (03-09-2017), TRX 500 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 02:48 PM

gtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyndall View Post
Exactly. Closing a highway means you can't enter it, it doesn't mean you can't drive on it if you are already there.

The guy with the dashcam is just a self-important stormchaser. He has no authority as an emergency vehicle, regardless of him decorating his vehicle with flashy lights and watching Twister. If people weren't supposed to be driving, then that includes him as well.

So there was already a pickup on the highway attending to the car in the ditch, as well as another vehicle driving around getting facebook views, and somehow these idiots didn't expect there to be any more traffic.

If it was a stupid deer and a clear night in perfect conditions, there would be no fault to the driver. Because it was a human knowingly breaking the law and doing something incredibly stupid, the driver could lose his career. That's bs.

One thing's for sure, the snowmobilers sure have the spin machine working overtime on this story.
The highway had been closed at Regina east to the Manitoba boarder, to Brandon and beyond. More than one self important fellow with a lack of knowledge I would say.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:38 PM

w o 7 mucker is a splendid one to beholdw o 7 mucker is a splendid one to beholdw o 7 mucker is a splendid one to beholdw o 7 mucker is a splendid one to beholdw o 7 mucker is a splendid one to beholdw o 7 mucker is a splendid one to beholdw o 7 mucker is a splendid one to beholdw o 7 mucker is a splendid one to behold
This is a very unfortunate situation for both and it's a good thing no one was killed, but I don't agree with 100% of the blame being put on the truck driver.

78 Harley Superglide. Custom stretched frame, and lowered
03 800 Rev.
77 moto-ski sonic 340ts
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to w o 7 mucker For This Useful Post:
gasguzzler (03-09-2017), juicedcummins (03-10-2017), skipper (03-09-2017), tonym63 (03-09-2017), TRX 500 (03-09-2017), tyndall (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 04:04 PM

gasguzzler is a glorious beacon of lightgasguzzler is a glorious beacon of lightgasguzzler is a glorious beacon of lightgasguzzler is a glorious beacon of lightgasguzzler is a glorious beacon of lightgasguzzler is a glorious beacon of light
Sleds should stay on groomed trails!
Doesn't seem to smart to attempt to turn around on the highway in whiteout conditions
Side road right to the right.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gasguzzler For This Useful Post:
juicedcummins (03-10-2017), TRX 500 (03-09-2017), w o 7 mucker (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 04:58 PM

Lightning will become famous soon enoughLightning will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper View Post
The trucking industry is going the same way as the cab industry! People used to respect our profession. Not so much anymore!

It's sad the way the trucking industry is going. The term professional driver isn't what it used to be. I'm not a truck driver but my job involves lots of driving around the province so I see a lot of trucks. Driving west of Winnipeg even if it's snowing/blowing a little you see transports with their hazards on. The professional driver of the past never drove like that. They would be leading the pack. Rarely would you be held up by transport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2017, 06:48 PM
Barkerlakebob.....!!

Thanked 3,936 Times in 1,817 Posts
barkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond reputebarkerlakebob has a reputation beyond repute
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasguzzler View Post
Sleds should stay on groomed trails!
Doesn't seem to smart to attempt to turn around on the highway in whiteout conditions
Side road right to the right.
I wonder if MPI will pay for the damages to his sled ( assuming he had insurance ) ?
Old 03-09-2017, 11:11 PM

204Rider will become famous soon enough204Rider will become famous soon enough
Yes the highway was closed.
Yes the truck never should have been moving, especially at the speeds he was.
Yes the sled shouldn't of been sitting in the highway.

No one here is blame free, but IMO most of the blame leans on the trucker.

Those sledders were out delivering fuel, food/water, blankets, etc. to stranded motorists. Heck some of the people out on sleds during that storm were RCMP and Firefighters because it was the only way to get around. Bringing up "they shouldn't be on the highway period" is just stupid. They are out there saving lives.

They shouldn't of been fooling around like they were, sure. but to say they shouldn't of been out at all is just dumb. You want stranded motorists to just die in their cars?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 204Rider For This Useful Post:
bbrent (03-10-2017), gtrussell (03-10-2017), Lazy Cat (03-10-2017), wardog (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 06:26 AM

xcr700 is just really nicexcr700 is just really nicexcr700 is just really nicexcr700 is just really nicexcr700 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
It's sad the way the trucking industry is going. The term professional driver isn't what it used to be. I'm not a truck driver but my job involves lots of driving around the province so I see a lot of trucks. Driving west of Winnipeg even if it's snowing/blowing a little you see transports with their hazards on. The professional driver of the past never drove like that. They would be leading the pack. Rarely would you be held up by transport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So you're saying you want the truckers to drive like some idiot hero? Leading the pack? I'd prefer to see them being safe. Even if it means driving with hazards on in little snow. They're driving vehicles the size of buildings, the last thing I want is them to be a hero
Old 03-10-2017, 07:28 AM
BELIEVE

Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,161 Posts
TRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond reputeTRX 500 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcr700 View Post
So you're saying you want the truckers to drive like some idiot hero? Leading the pack? I'd prefer to see them being safe. Even if it means driving with hazards on in little snow. They're driving vehicles the size of buildings, the last thing I want is them to be a hero

I think you completely miss the point. I believe it was more directed that their used to be people behind the wheel that knew what they were doing and used to drive with pride and confidence. That goes for more than just big rigs as far as I'm concerned. Now it seems.... How do I say this without being pegged as a racist... Ah screw it, it seems OTHERS get their steering papers out of a Cracker Jack box. Can't hardly speak the language nor communicate properly with others but they got themselves a licence to drive a rig they can't even spell!!!

Maybe I'm wrong. But that's my opinion.

BELIEVE...
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TRX 500 For This Useful Post:
King Of Bling (03-11-2017), motorboat (03-10-2017), tonym63 (03-10-2017), tyndall (03-10-2017), WARHAMMER (03-10-2017), xcr700 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:41 AM

xcr700 is just really nicexcr700 is just really nicexcr700 is just really nicexcr700 is just really nicexcr700 is just really nice
Quote:
I think you completely miss the point. I believe it was more directed that their used to be people behind the wheel that knew what they were doing and used to drive with pride and confidence. That goes for more than just big rigs as far as I'm concerned. Now it seems.... How do I say this without being pegged as a racist... Ah screw it, it seems OTHERS get their steering papers out of a Cracker Jack box. Can't hardly speak the language nor communicate properly with others but they got themselves a licence to drive a rig they can't even spell!!!

That makes more sense
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xcr700 For This Useful Post:
King Of Bling (03-11-2017), TRX 500 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 09:56 AM

gtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the roughgtrussell is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 204Rider View Post
Yes the highway was closed.
Yes the truck never should have been moving, especially at the speeds he was.
Yes the sled shouldn't of been sitting in the highway.

No one here is blame free, but IMO most of the blame leans on the trucker.

Those sledders were out delivering fuel, food/water, blankets, etc. to stranded motorists. Heck some of the people out on sleds during that storm were RCMP and Firefighters because it was the only way to get around. Bringing up "they shouldn't be on the highway period" is just stupid. They are out there saving lives.

They shouldn't of been fooling around like they were, sure. but to say they shouldn't of been out at all is just dumb. You want stranded motorists to just die in their cars?
It seems that blaming the victim has become the norm in todays society.
Its always the other guys fault . No one taking responsibility, as its easier to pass the buck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtrussell For This Useful Post:
204Rider (03-10-2017), arcticcatktm (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM

Thanked 3,551 Times in 1,880 Posts
tonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond reputetonym63 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
. Ah screw it, it seems OTHERS get their steering papers out of a Cracker Jack box. Can't hardly speak the language nor communicate properly with others but they got themselves a licence to drive a rig they can't even spell!!!

U are so right... at least 70% or more of close calls I see on the highway are caused by new cdn drivers. There was a bison truck out on the lake east of ignis. No idea how he got it there, but wuz a new cdn driver. (sure glad I got my dash (rat) cam.

As for the sled being hit... I don't think that truck was going as fast as it looks, or the sledder wud b toast.
I see a lot of people pull out in front of rigs, cant even imagine it being the truckers fault if u hit one of them. Again.. thank god for dash cams.

Last edited by tonym63; 03-10-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:42 AM

Bender will become famous soon enough
Plenty of blame to go around. I'm going to say the driver had some experience because if he would have locked up the brakes, the trailer would have taken out the whole group of people when it jackknifed.

However the safe speed to be travelling in those conditions is one where you can stop safely if an obstruction were to present itself. That was not the case here. That safe speed could also be zero. Zero is a speed.

If it was a stranded trucker working his way off the highway, crawling through the areas of zero visibility would have been prudent, but who would want to do that when someone driving faster could plow into your ass end.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:16 PM

oldccm is a jewel in the rougholdccm is a jewel in the rougholdccm is a jewel in the rougholdccm is a jewel in the rough
Just because they were bringing food and fuel does not mean they're allowed on the road.

RCMP on sleds would've been following procedures and not doing spin outs on the highway.

All 3 of them should be found at fault, possible the storm chaser too.

Everyone wants to 'help' and I get that but there's reasons it should be left to the professionals.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:57 PM

asiemens has a spectacular aura aboutasiemens has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldccm View Post
Just because they were bringing food and fuel does not mean they're allowed on the road.

RCMP on sleds would've been following procedures and not doing spin outs on the highway.

All 3 of them should be found at fault, possible the storm chaser too.

Everyone wants to 'help' and I get that but there's reasons it should be left to the professionals.

Storm chaser too? What did he do?

Old 03-10-2017, 02:04 PM

oldccm is a jewel in the rougholdccm is a jewel in the rougholdccm is a jewel in the rougholdccm is a jewel in the rough
Why is he out on a closed road? I can't tell from the video if he's stopped on the road or the shoulder.

The more people on scene the more likely an accident will occur. The way he's parked, lights flashing the sleds wouldn't see the semi coming and vice versa.

All I'm saying is there's a lot of blame to go around and pigeon holing the truck driver seems wrong.

For all we know that truck in the ditch went out on the closed road and started this series of events.

The Following User Says Thank You to oldccm For This Useful Post:
RUNNER (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Why is he out on a closed road? I can't tell from the video if he's stopped on the road or the shoulder.

The more people on scene the more likely an accident will occur. The way he's parked, lights flashing the sleds wouldn't see the semi coming and vice versa.

All I'm saying is there's a lot of blame to go around and pigeon holing the truck driver seems wrong.

For all we know that truck in the ditch went out on the closed road and started this series of events.

As usual a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to gtrussell For This Useful Post:
asiemens (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:25 PM

asiemens has a spectacular aura aboutasiemens has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

Geez! that escalated quickly!

All we have is a short video that doesn't show much. It shows a sledder doing a donut and a truck hitting said sledder and his buddy.

We have NO IDEA:
-how fast the truck was going
-how many people were driving on the closed road
-how many of those knew it was closed BEFORE THEY EVER GOT ONTO THE ROAD

Yet here we are attempting to be judge, jury, and wishing we were executioners! From what I hear, the trucker is facing dangerous driving charges. From what I saw in the video, I would have no qualms about him getting the charges completely dropped or getting a discharge of some sort. From what I saw in the video, I would also have no qualms about no one else getting charges or fines laid. No one was expecting the other party to be there (we can argue all day whether that's right, wrong, or left).

Bottom line is, there was a storm, someone was trying to help the stranded people, not everyone was stranded, someone that wasn't stranded had an unfortunate introduction to someone that was helping those who were, and now everyone that wasn't within 485 miles of the incident thinks they know best and are in fact, THE ONLY ONES, that know best!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asiemens For This Useful Post:
gtrussell (03-10-2017), Minty3 (03-11-2017)

Tags
plows, snowmobile