If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > ATV General Discussions > ATV Track Kits

Old 01-17-2008, 10:41 AM

Low-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant future
Homemade track kit, where to start?

Hey guys, I have a couple of quick questions for you. Has anyone here ever made, or looked into making, their own track conversion kits for either ATV or 4X4, or better yet, their own tracked vehicle? If so, where did you start? It doesn't look like it should be too tough, just parts, design and time.

We are having many, many problems with our snowmobile club's groomer, and I was just kicking around the idea of a cost-effective way to add a few more vehicles to the fleet, more for trail maintenance once the big groomer has been through, or for pulling a small drag through some of the smaller, narrower trails.

I also saw this and thought it looked like a neat little vehicle. Bump up the 670cc to a 350 v8, find a hydraulic pump and a couple of motors, and get a couple of 151 or larger deep lug tracks, and it should be able to pull a decent sized drag around. I know it would be alot of work, but it would sure be a cool little vehicle to go ripping around in the bush, or to pull a drag or a bunch of supplies across the lake. A nice fully enclosed heated cab would keep the family warm heading out to the cabin.

Is this just a stupid idea? I know it would take a lot of time. Any thoughts?
K&N Filter with Outerwear Prefilter
Gearless Locker
Lift kit up front
Old 01-17-2008, 10:51 AM

Low-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant futureLow-1 has a brilliant future
Just saw that "another new machine" thread in the lounge. Yeah, that's what we need!! awesome.
Gearless Locker
Lift kit up front
Old 01-17-2008, 11:23 AM
No Worries, Be Happy

Thanked 2,173 Times in 558 Posts
Maxter has a reputation beyond reputeMaxter has a reputation beyond reputeMaxter has a reputation beyond reputeMaxter has a reputation beyond reputeMaxter has a reputation beyond reputeMaxter has a reputation beyond reputeMaxter has a reputation beyond reputeMaxter has a reputation beyond reputeMaxter has a reputation beyond reputeMaxter has a reputation beyond reputeMaxter has a reputation beyond repute
here is one set of homemade tracks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tracks_posing_on_grass.jpg (29.6 KB, 2071 views)
Hand & Thumb warmers, Amsteel rope,28" Outlaws
Garmin Gps map60csx

HERS
2011 Can-Am 650 Max XT
27" Mudlite XTR's, Garmin Gps map60c
Hand & Thumb warmers, Amsteel rope
Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 AM

Yeah Maxter, I saw those quite a while ago, on here I think, and that's what kind of made me think that it's definitely not impossible, and doesn't really even look that difficult. Thanks.
Gearless Locker
Lift kit up front
Old 01-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Cummins Old Skool! :)

Thanked 1,400 Times in 394 Posts
QUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond reputeQUADZILLA has a reputation beyond repute
I think it is a great idea and I would start on it if I had the extra money kicking around. I think light, hydralic, and 2 tracks only. I can help with the design but I'm not familiar with Hydralic drives to design the whole system.

at first I thought a bike engine or RX-1, 150hp 4 stroke light weight and some kind of mechanical drive with clutches like in the old skidsteers but also thought Hydralic with a small 4 cyl diesel might be better.

This is what I wanted before I got tracks for my quad. Tracks are fun but an enclosed cab with heat and 4 or 5 passenger and go anywhere is what I really want.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Boggy River Riders

manitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-1
Is this just a stupid idea? I know it would take a lot of time. Any thoughts?
Tony... Tony... Tony...

Come on bud. You can't set me up like this. It's just too easy.

Once hydro eliminates the PSW program i'll be back. We'll put tracks on everything.

Back on topic. If you get that welder from limestone on board i'm pretty sure you two could put tracks on anything. Either that or they trade that old groomer in for a new model.

Good luck bud. See you this weekend. Make sure you put your whiskey drinking hat on.

Johnny
HMF Muffler, Perfex Long Travel Kit,
1" Wheel Spacers, Snorkled,
Warn Winch, Hand and Tumb Warmers

Tags
homemade, start, track