If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > ATV General Discussions > ATC 3-Wheelers

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 04:59 PM

01ps is on a distinguished road
Front ski for my Big Red

I just finished building the front ski for my BR250.

I got a couple off a junker snow machine and welded them together, built a cradle for the tire. I made it so the front tie down will use the winch cable and 2 springs for tension, and I'll use ratchet straps for the rear with springs (not shown in pic) . I tied the skis on the trike itself, not the tire, so that it will not try to flip the ski over if it digs in, but the springs will let it flex and pivot, and the suspension will still work some.

Think it'll work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00268.jpg (61.0 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00269.jpg (60.0 KB, 164 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 01ps For This Useful Post:
boakley (12-10-2008), HIGHTECH REDNECK (10-26-2008), HOUSEHUNTER (10-26-2008), punch (12-10-2008)
Old 10-26-2008, 05:25 PM

Tothebar has a reputation beyond reputeTothebar has a reputation beyond reputeTothebar has a reputation beyond reputeTothebar has a reputation beyond reputeTothebar has a reputation beyond reputeTothebar has a reputation beyond reputeTothebar has a reputation beyond reputeTothebar has a reputation beyond reputeTothebar has a reputation beyond reputeTothebar has a reputation beyond reputeTothebar has a reputation beyond repute
Sure are pimping out that trike of yours!! im thinking of mounting a ski on the front of mine let me no how it works.
-Dobeck Gen 4
-Can-am rad relocate
-Can am snorkle
-Pro taper bars
-High lifter springs
-High lifter dht axles
-XMR diff swap
Old 10-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Sled Head

4MULA has much to be proud of4MULA has much to be proud of4MULA has much to be proud of4MULA has much to be proud of4MULA has much to be proud of4MULA has much to be proud of4MULA has much to be proud of4MULA has much to be proud of4MULA has much to be proud of
I would have taken the tire out of the scenario completely, but still looks like fun....and possibly some stitches! LOL
Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 PM

Cormack will become famous soon enoughCormack will become famous soon enough
I was so pumped to see this post I thought I was the only one that used a ski. (Mostly on account I can't afford a snomobile) Very impressive looks like you definantly put a lot more thought into yours.

The only difference I see is that my basket or cradle takes on more of the tire which allows me to tie it down to itself although your idea would hopefully eliminate the ski from digging in. I've used a ratcheting tie down for years and I haven't had any problems with the ski taking off. I usually just use one and tie 'er right down the centre. Little less air in the tire and the tie down settles into a nice grove and doesn't move around at all. Although for the purposes of this post I just slapped it together quickly so it's tied on half assed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0953.jpg (554.2 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0952.jpg (544.2 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by Cormack; 11-06-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: misunderstood orginal post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cormack For This Useful Post:
boakley (12-10-2008), punch (12-10-2008)
Old 11-06-2008, 10:14 PM

Thanked 4,656 Times in 2,367 Posts
JoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormack View Post
I was so pumped to see this post I thought I was the only one that used a ski. (Mostly on account I can't afford a snomobile) Very impressive looks like you definantly put a lot more thought into yours.

The only difference I see is that my basket or cradle takes on more of the tire which allows me to die it down to itself rather then some spot on the trike. I ran into that issue myself. I've used a ratcheting tie down for years and I haven't had any problems with the ski taking off. I usually just use one and tie 'er right down the centre. Little less air in the tire and the tie down settles into a nice grove and doesn't move around at all. Although for the purposes of this post I just slapped it together quickly so it's tied on half assed
That is they way the guys here had them set up. I bought skis but never made the basket before selling the trike in... um.... 87? But that worked great and one guy with a 250R rigged up duals for the rear wheels for added flotation.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:43 PM

Joe Cool duals for the rear? Love to see that do you any pics by chance?

BTW, 01ps please keep us posted on that ski, also that plow of yours is awesome, just saw the post today I hadn't been on here in a while. I hope you could post a video of that in action, that would be great! I had ambitions of doing the same but it just wouldn't be the same without reverse, lol. Cheers!
Old 11-07-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:

The only difference I see is that my basket or cradle takes on more of the tire which allows me to tie it down to itself although your idea would hopefully eliminate the ski from digging in. I've used a ratcheting tie down for years and I haven't had any problems with the ski taking off. I usually just use one and tie 'er right down the centre. Little less air in the tire and the tie down settles into a nice grove and doesn't move around at all. Although for the purposes of this post I just slapped it together quickly so it's tied on half assed

I havn't used it yet, but I think it'll work. Your design is much more simple, so it may be better. We are just starting to get a bit of snow here so I'lll be able to find out soon enough.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:28 AM

Thanked 4,656 Times in 2,367 Posts
JoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond reputeJoeCool has a reputation beyond repute
ah sorry, no pics and i never even looked them over close. i was told at the time he welded another rim between two to act as a spacer.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Joe Cool duals for the rear? Love to see that do you any pics by chance?

BTW, 01ps please keep us posted on that ski, also that plow of yours is awesome, just saw the post today I hadn't been on here in a while. I hope you could post a video of that in action, that would be great! I had ambitions of doing the same but it just wouldn't be the same without reverse, lol. Cheers!
I agree, duals would be cool!

I bought the metal for building duals but have not gotten around to it. I was thinking of an undersized outer tire that would come into play only when the mains sunk into the mud or snow a couple of inches.

I plan on posting pics at least of the plow at work, but I can probably get a video also. I am itching to try it out. I built a set of chains for the back wheels too, and with all the ice we have gotten so far I think I'll need them.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:35 PM

jbezan has much to be proud ofjbezan has much to be proud ofjbezan has much to be proud ofjbezan has much to be proud ofjbezan has much to be proud ofjbezan has much to be proud ofjbezan has much to be proud ofjbezan has much to be proud ofjbezan has much to be proud of
your inventions make for some interesting reading.. someone post youtube vids on how well skis work

His - 2009 Kawi Brute Force 750 with Mud Bugs
Hers - 2007 Polaris Trail Boss 330 with Zillas and push bar
1979 Arctic Cat El Tigre

Old 11-10-2008, 12:56 PM

Biechcb46 will become famous soon enough
That looks sweet. I used to drive my trike in the snow but it would always sink. How much snow can you go through with this invention
Old 12-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biechcb46 View Post
That looks sweet. I used to drive my trike in the snow but it would always sink. How much snow can you go through with this invention
Well with mine so far I've been able to keep afloat of all the recent snow we've had. I live out in Riverton (Interlake) and we've seen to be getting a fair bit more then WPG. I think we are pushing around 6-8inches. Really not much in contrast to what I've ridden in before, I've had this trike since I was 10 I'm 26 now so it has seen it's fair share. The ski does make a huge difference as you don't find yourself sinking the front end in at all. I'm often surprised the depth of snow I've been able to get through.
It has great steering capabilities in snow, similar to that of a snowmobile. Your not going to get anywhere fast but the fun factor is really high.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:03 AM

robbie is a jewel in the roughrobbie is a jewel in the roughrobbie is a jewel in the roughrobbie is a jewel in the rough
yup trikes are fun, would be even funner with skis, just do a catwalk
-1991 plymouth laser rs turbo
-2003 chrysler sebring
-2000 CHRYSLER INTREPID
-1997 dodge neon
-1987 plymouth caravelle
-1986 honda 250 fourtrax
-2000 yamaha tt-r 125
Old 12-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Honda 350x

Thanked 1,022 Times in 594 Posts
3Wheeler has a brilliant future3Wheeler has a brilliant future3Wheeler has a brilliant future3Wheeler has a brilliant future3Wheeler has a brilliant future3Wheeler has a brilliant future3Wheeler has a brilliant future3Wheeler has a brilliant future3Wheeler has a brilliant future3Wheeler has a brilliant future3Wheeler has a brilliant future
If you want to get around faster put a set of Maxxis 4-snow tires ,It will blow your mind for the snow you can plow through (for a tire there's nothing better in snow!) I can catwalk my 350x in a foot of snow.
85 ATC 450x Chrome custom (still not finished)
85 ATC 250r
05 Kawasaki BF 650 27" XTR's
87 Honda ATC 200X Resto Project
83 Honda ATC 70
86 Argo Trike!
86 (I can believe I own a Polaris?) Scambler 250 Trike
Old 12-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Fastest 3 Wheeler In N.S.

Tecate250 will become famous soon enough
The ski is designed to float. Using your tire as a mount adds alot of weight. I have seen ski kits that mount right to your front axel. No brakes no tire means more floatabialy.

Tags
front