If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > Snowmobile Brand Discussions > Yamaha Sleds

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 02:41 PM

eiger400 is on a distinguished road
1987 Phazer Mikuni Carb Question

I am trying to clean up some carbs on an older sled. Does anyone have experience with the type of Mikuni crabs in the attached pics. I haven't been able to find any manuals online. The sled starts first pull every time but needs the choke on in order to get any speed. Thanks for your answers!

carb1.jpgcarb2.jpg
Old 12-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Ride Don't Wrench

mrYamaha will become famous soon enoughmrYamaha will become famous soon enough
I have lots, clean it up good and run a small wire through any air/fuel holes to make sure they are clear.
It will have a 143 main jet in it, some guys put in 140 and it is still very safe to run it.
Do a compression test if the carbs are clean and it still runs bad. May have a leaky gasket on the head or base. Very rare but its 20 years old.
Check the carb boots carefully, they could be rotten by now. Where is the idle mixture screw turned out to? I think it was 2 1/2 turns out but not positive.

Those carbs look to be in pretty good shape from your pictures.
I have owned an 87, 88, and a 91 Phazer, and our 07 of course.
2003 Cat FIS 500
2005 Bruin 350
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwMJCaFwZCI
Old 12-31-2008, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the info. I am trying to get the bottom part of of the carb off (The gold part) and it doesn't seem to want to come off. I removed the bottom screw but can't get it to budge. Any suggestions!

I will check the idle screw and boots!
Old 12-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Ride Don't Wrench

mrYamaha will become famous soon enoughmrYamaha will become famous soon enough
17mm wrench and then you may have to tap it. If that doesnt work put the bowl in hot water and tap it again. The screws that you have loosened on the side are not for taking the bowl off.
2003 Cat FIS 500
2005 Bruin 350
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwMJCaFwZCI
The Following User Says Thank You to mrYamaha For This Useful Post:
eiger400 (01-02-2009)
Old 01-02-2009, 06:47 AM

Thanked 2,173 Times in 1,095 Posts
criksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond repute
carbs

if you go to our website we have a complete parts cataloque with a lot of the older sleds using mikuni carbs.download an exploded view and you should be able to see where everything is.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:03 PM

I got both carbs a part and cleaned. There were a couple rubber plugs that were shot. The main carb looked a little gummed up but not bad. They are both cleaned and ready to go. One of hte rubber boots had a crack in it so that part is on order. Once it gets here I will get it all put back together and see if it runs any better.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:03 PM

Oh - Can you send me that website you referenced. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:00 AM

Thanked 2,173 Times in 1,095 Posts
criksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond reputecriksidebob has a reputation beyond repute
website

just hit the crikside website flag here on TS.The parts cataloque icon is on the home page.

Tags
mikuni, phazer, question