If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > ATV Brand Discussions > Polaris ATV

Old 09-13-2005, 09:28 AM

polaris_600 is on a distinguished road
Polaris thermostat

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes an aftermarket thermostat for a Polaris twin(2004.5), or does anyone know of a vehicle thermostat that fits this type of machine that someone can pick up at Canadian Tire? Polaris sells a thermostat for anywhere between $47.00 to $64.00 depending on when it was built. This is a little steep. Thermostat went on me at the Marchand derby.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:59 AM

Thanked 3,091 Times in 1,238 Posts
ProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond repute
thermostats

Buddy has an 04 700 polaris that kept over heating in Marchand as well. Is the thermostat a know problem? His rad was clean and not caked with mud but his temp light kept coming on.

Current Sleds - 2014 800 Assault LE 2.0, 2013 Indy 600 SP ES
Previous 4x4 Quads: 09 MudPro, 2008 Prowler, 2006 AC H1, 05 AC 500 manual
Old 09-13-2005, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProComp
Buddy has an 04 700 polaris that kept over heating in Marchand as well. Is the thermostat a know problem? His rad was clean and not caked with mud but his temp light kept coming on.
my wife was riding the quad so I'm not quite sure what happened? The hot light went on and she turned off the quad. Fan was still running so it is not that sensor. Talked to Polaris guys and they informed me that it probably wasn't the pump. My rad had just got washed and you can see through it. Quad never hit any mud or deep water that day either. I took out the thermostat and tested it to see if it would move under heat and nothing happened. That baby is toast. I've never heard of a problem with them before, so I'm guessing that mine is an isolated case.

A buddy of mine had the same problem your buddy had but his was because the fan wasn't kicking in. The wire for the sensor was sheared.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:12 AM

Whisky700 has a spectacular aura aboutWhisky700 has a spectacular aura aboutWhisky700 has a spectacular aura about
If the overheat light is coming on but the fan is not running, then you have an airlock. The sensor for the overheat is on the block. The sensor for the fan is on the rad. If there is not enough coolant flowing to the rad, then you get overheat condition with no fan. Here's what you do: Engine cold, remove rad cap, start up bike, let it warm up while keeping the rad full to capacity. Once the rad starts to overflow, put rad cap back on and you should be good to go. This is assuming that your fan is operational.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:15 AM

Whisky700 has a spectacular aura aboutWhisky700 has a spectacular aura aboutWhisky700 has a spectacular aura about
If your thermostat isn't opening up, try boiling it in 50/50 vinegar and water. That should clean it up. It's worth a try.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:15 AM

Thanked 3,091 Times in 1,238 Posts
ProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond repute
The fan is working fine. He kept turning off the quad but letting the fan run to cool it off.

Current Sleds - 2014 800 Assault LE 2.0, 2013 Indy 600 SP ES
Previous 4x4 Quads: 09 MudPro, 2008 Prowler, 2006 AC H1, 05 AC 500 manual
Old 09-13-2005, 10:30 AM

"The fan is working fine. He kept turning off the quad but letting the fan run to cool it off."

I bet you the rad was dirty. You have to make sure you can see daylight through them. Lots of guys have been fooled before.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky700
If your thermostat isn't opening up, try boiling it in 50/50 vinegar and water. That should clean it up. It's worth a try.
Thanks...I'll try it. Can't hurt.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Stud..

Trizo123 has a reputation beyond reputeTrizo123 has a reputation beyond reputeTrizo123 has a reputation beyond reputeTrizo123 has a reputation beyond reputeTrizo123 has a reputation beyond reputeTrizo123 has a reputation beyond reputeTrizo123 has a reputation beyond reputeTrizo123 has a reputation beyond reputeTrizo123 has a reputation beyond reputeTrizo123 has a reputation beyond reputeTrizo123 has a reputation beyond repute
My 04 500 was overheating last winter and it was just an airlock in the system, My coolant pissed out the top from the overflow, i thought it was the thermostat sticking . All i did was lifted the front end off the ground ( DROVE IT UP RAMPS ) and let it run with the rad cap off till all the air was out, i let it run for almost an hour. After that i havnt had a problem and its been almost a year now....
Old 12-09-2006, 08:41 PM
not quailified to answer

Thanked 2,731 Times in 1,156 Posts
Fat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond reputeFat Cat has a reputation beyond repute
When i took my bike apart to repair the front diff the rad was out so I washed it in the shower. Man was it dirty even though i had cleaned it with a garden hose. So ya I can see problems with a plugged rad and overheating.
All Chef's @#%you
Old 12-10-2006, 10:01 AM
COME GET SOME

Got Mud has a reputation beyond reputeGot Mud has a reputation beyond reputeGot Mud has a reputation beyond reputeGot Mud has a reputation beyond reputeGot Mud has a reputation beyond reputeGot Mud has a reputation beyond reputeGot Mud has a reputation beyond reputeGot Mud has a reputation beyond reputeGot Mud has a reputation beyond reputeGot Mud has a reputation beyond reputeGot Mud has a reputation beyond repute
Another thing to keep your Poo from overheating is to put spacers between the rad and the fan shroud about 1/4 to 1/2 " or cut the bottom of the plastic to let the dirt and crap fall out there is no space and crap piles up and stays in there it can't get out. This will fix alot of overheating problems. Like PX3 said those rads look clean but when you take them out and clean them you would be supprised. Get longer bolts and make some spacers and the problem should be fixed.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:02 PM

AcE Blaster is an unknown quantity at this point
my dad threw in a block-heater in our poo and it start's awesome.

Tags
polaris, thermostat