If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > ATV Brand Discussions > Honda ATV

Old 04-11-2010, 11:19 AM
13' XP 850 & 14' RZR 570

heater15 is infamous around these parts
Rubicon front wheels toe out?

have a buddy with a Rubi 500 and the front wheels are toed way out. Looks like he steering to the ditch when following him. Drovers in Brandon told him this was normal, but I call BS on that. The Mudlites he has are wearing sharp to the outside of the lugs and it darts around horribly. Anybody ever heard that this is normal?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:50 PM

freddie is on a distinguished road
mine does the same thing! Was told that was normal.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:06 PM

Sasquatch has much to be proud ofSasquatch has much to be proud ofSasquatch has much to be proud ofSasquatch has much to be proud ofSasquatch has much to be proud ofSasquatch has much to be proud ofSasquatch has much to be proud ofSasquatch has much to be proud of
I run with about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of toe out. Different tires react differently so you might need to play with it a bit. Honda recommends 9/16 inch of toe out. That worked fine with stockers but when I went to mudlites I also found that they darted badly on some surfaces. Play with it a bit and you'll figure it out.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:28 PM
silverback boy

rubicon_man will become famous soon enough
when i put my 29.5's on i had to adjust my tie rod to make it straight...they told me if its always in 4x4 it should be toed out a bit but if not it shouldnt be toed out....thats what i was told

2008 artic cat 700h1 HL extreme clutch kit and 30 backs on 312's
Old 04-11-2010, 03:43 PM

Thanked 1,082 Times in 657 Posts
Grizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud of
Toe out typically gives a vehicle more tendancy to go straight, harder to initiate a turn, and more assistance with coming out of it. Exact opposite for toe in, faster initiation to a turn, more resistance to coming out of it.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:41 PM

Redcrew71 is a jewel in the roughRedcrew71 is a jewel in the roughRedcrew71 is a jewel in the rough
on my Foreman...I put 26" 2" wider Mudlites....and they now look more toed out. Adjust as needed....but my bike runs straight....and it helps with cornering. Too much staightness and it will dart and feel tippy in corner.....it is factory setting to be toed out.
26x12x12 Mudlite XL Back
Camo bags
Camo accents
Warn Winch
Quadivator Plow
Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 PM

TKO550 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heater15 View Post
have a buddy with a Rubi 500 and the front wheels are toed way out. Looks like he steering to the ditch when following him. Drovers in Brandon told him this was normal, but I call BS on that. The Mudlites he has are wearing sharp to the outside of the lugs and it darts around horribly. Anybody ever heard that this is normal?
My buddy with a rzr had this isue. It was his wheel bearings wearing out. Have you grabed the top of the wheel to see if there is any movement??
Old 04-20-2010, 01:42 PM
sometimes it happens

straight-pipe is a name known to allstraight-pipe is a name known to allstraight-pipe is a name known to allstraight-pipe is a name known to allstraight-pipe is a name known to allstraight-pipe is a name known to all
Also as a side note Honda has the worst factory wheel alignment out there. Go look at any new one in the show room and the wheels are way out. had to play around with my Rubi for a while to get mine nice. There was a time when Mudchucker and myself were going to build a alignment rack for atv's....good idea , too bad we never built it.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:54 PM

HondaDude is on a distinguished road
I had a similar problem with my Foreman 500, right out of the box. I bought it out in brandon but live in Winnipeg so I took it to WSL and they said it was within manufacturer specs but they drove it and noticed it pulling hard. So they used Yamaha specs for alignment and I've never had a problem since. Not sure what the Yamaha specs are but I'm sure the guys at WSL will help you out.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Little Miss Fix-It

Thanked 1,429 Times in 695 Posts
blastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud of
I'd say that 9/16" toe out is way too much, but maybe that's just me. I wouldn't have more than 1/2" total (1/4" on each side) but preferably 1/4" total. I would just adjust the front end until you find the alignment that suits the set-up you have, your riding style, and isn't wearing out your tires or steering components prematurely. Every bike is different, but from what you're saying this sounds like it is way out to lunch. You shouldn't have to fight against the bike to keep it going straight down the road. Hopefully it doesn't take too much struggling to get it set up better for you. Good luck!
1983 Honda ATC200
1983 Honda XR100

Old 06-26-2010, 04:45 PM

thunder82 is on a distinguished road
Toe out

I have had a similiar problem with a different background. My Rubi 500 CTE was purchased new and had a small toe out. Rode on stock wheels for a year than upgraded to 27" Zillas w/ Honda optional rims. With no change noticed to the toe out. Until I wore out the tie rod ends; replacement was easy, however when I tried the factory settings from the service manual that I purchased from a Honda dealer which I disregarded after 3 failed attempts resulting in (toe-in/toe-way-out/ toe still to far out). I used a hockey stick held against the hub using the lug nuts(tire was off) and curved end of the stick sawed off. Using 2 sticks I was able to determine L/R toe-outs to where I wanted it set so that it has a slight toe out. Sorry but I didn't take pictures, but if you stand at the front of the bike directly centre and 4 paces back you should only be able to see only a small area of the inside rims once the rim/tires are put back on. I hope this helps you out or gives you an idea of what you should look for.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:43 PM

rubiconrider is on a distinguished road
my buddy's rubi is toe'd out but mine isnt. mine has a 2 inch lift and i think that the lift brought the wheels in from factory specs and made em straight.
-14" ITP C series Rims
-27" ITP Mud Lite XTR's
-Moose Skidplate
-2500 LB's Warn Winch
-HMF Utility Series Pipe
-K&N Air Filter
-Custom Snork And Rerouted Vent Lines
Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 PM

Ol dude is on a distinguished road
My wifes and mine are both toed out a lot. Following the manual, it says to mark the center of the tires, lift the weight off the front tires, and set the toe out 1-3/16ths +or- 9/16ths of an inch. When lifted off the ground, the tires go straight, so if I adjusted them to what the book states, they would be toed out even further. These are 2005 models with less than 400 miles on them, and I noticed the tie rod ends have a lot of play in them. Naturally they are out of warranty, but I adjusted the tie rods one full turn and put it back on the ground. Took a lot of the toe out away, but I haven't driven it yet. I hope to use it next week and drive both of them to see what the difference is in the handling. I figure I'll make small adjustments and sneak up on the sweet spot, if that is possible.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Little Miss Fix-It

Thanked 1,429 Times in 695 Posts
blastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud ofblastergirl21 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol dude View Post
My wifes and mine are both toed out a lot. Following the manual, it says to mark the center of the tires, lift the weight off the front tires, and set the toe out 1-3/16ths +or- 9/16ths of an inch. When lifted off the ground, the tires go straight, so if I adjusted them to what the book states, they would be toed out even further. These are 2005 models with less than 400 miles on them, and I noticed the tie rod ends have a lot of play in them. Naturally they are out of warranty, but I adjusted the tie rods one full turn and put it back on the ground. Took a lot of the toe out away, but I haven't driven it yet. I hope to use it next week and drive both of them to see what the difference is in the handling. I figure I'll make small adjustments and sneak up on the sweet spot, if that is possible.
What??? The manual calls for more than an inch? That's ridiculous!
1983 Honda ATC200
1983 Honda XR100

The Following User Says Thank You to blastergirl21 For This Useful Post:
Ol dude (09-07-2010)

Tags
front, rubicon, wheels