If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > ATV General Discussions > ATV Track Kits

Old 10-23-2010, 10:23 AM

doonan64 is on a distinguished road
Honda Rancher 420

Im a newbie on this whole ATV thing. Im in the market for my first ATV. I'm also thinking of adding a pair of tracks to it. The dealer Im buying my ATV from has Tatou 4s for sale as well. The main reason Im buying an ATV is for Ice Fishing so going fast isn't important to me. Im wondering if the Rancher is big enough machine to handle tracks and not tear it up? After reading some things about Tatou 4s Im getting sceptical on them as well. Should I be sceptical? Thank you for the help.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:26 AM

PFXC will become famous soon enough
Lots of happy folks with the Tatou 4s - and a few who had problems that Camoplast seems to be dealing with. Yes, it took longer than most wanted, but still it's less than a year, and if they did good R&D its worth the wait. I have tracks from this spring, the "newer" plastic ones, we'll see how it goes this winter.

I can not yet speak from personal experience (other than using one once), just all the research I did before I purchased my setup this spring. I think a 5-600cc ATV should be OK as long as you are not in deep snow a lot, or pulling something. I went with Yamaha as I really like their drive system, and folks using them for what I am (grooming trails) feel they are the brand to go with. If I wasn't pulling something I would have gotten the Grizzly 550 (and I think perhaps I could have anyway...), but I went with the 700. It certainly does not lack power!

Good luck in your searches... keep an open mind, and work with a good dealer. Even with good brands sometimes things go wrong, and it's worth it to work with someone who will back what they sold.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:57 PM

blue bear700 has a spectacular aura aboutblue bear700 has a spectacular aura about
not that i have driven for any long period of time but i know a few guys with the 420 and thier opinion on it is even with tires and not tracks it is still under powered when they work it.the 420 is an ultra reliable machine but to put tracks on it im not sure.the transmission system is unlike any out there almost car like so whether it makes it better or worse with tracks is something i would look into.good luck.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:13 PM

carlos1001 will become famous soon enough
You will wish you went with a bigger machine. I would try studding the tires before buying tracks. If you buy tracks and find the machine too small, it will cost about $500 to put them on a different machine. Best to put them on the right machine first. I have a 660 and it takes power to turn the tracks. How much is he asking for the tracks? You may find that it will only cost a couple hundred more to go new with the RUBBER(that's the key) boogies. good luck.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:25 PM

carlos1001 will become famous soon enough
Another think to think of is fuel. I assume the 420 has a fairly small tank, your engine will be working hard all the time. Figure on at least 1/4 to 1/3 of the range you get with tires. I get about 15 actual miles(28 odometer+/-) per tank. Can't stray far before having to turn back.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:59 PM

hunter1 will become famous soon enough
Which 420 are you looking at? The IRS is geared taller than the solid rear axle. I have a IRS 420 and had to gear it down with 2 gears from the solid axle machine. Now it has much better low end power with bigger tires on it.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:28 PM

Sasquatch has much to be proud ofSasquatch has much to be proud ofSasquatch has much to be proud ofSasquatch has much to be proud ofSasquatch has much to be proud ofSasquatch has much to be proud ofSasquatch has much to be proud ofSasquatch has much to be proud of
If you do some looking in the archives you will find a member by the name of Mongrol that used to run tracks on a 300 poo in the mountains of B.C. I have a set of commander wide tracks on a 500 foreman standard. I have run it out of power but only at speed. If I hit softer stuff while in 5th gear she will power down. I start off in 2nd or 3rd due to the lower gearing with the tracks and shifting has never been a problem. The 420 tranny should make the shifting easier(or nonexistant). You won't be going fast but if that's not an issue you will have a great time. If you want to bump up a step from the 420 I have a used 450 for sale(sorry I couldn't resist). Have fun
Old 10-24-2010, 03:01 PM

ndcommander is on a distinguished road
I used Kimpex Commanders on the 420 rancher. It has the electric shift you can run them fine but not in top gear. I always had two people on it and it would handle things just fine unless you wanted to go fast in top gear. I switched the tracks to my 650 Rincon. If you are interested in a mounting kit for the Rancher with Kimpex commander tracks let me know. I may even sell the tracks and mounting kit. I am thjinking about going to an ARGO with tracks I am using them for hunting so I havent put alot of miles on them. I am in North Dakota
Old 10-24-2010, 11:50 PM

stewme is just really nicestewme is just really nicestewme is just really nicestewme is just really nice
I have a set of 2010 Tatou's on my Rubicon. Except for the icing problem (which Camoplast has sent me a big box of new boggies) I am completely happy with the tracks. The Ruby definately isn't a hot rod on tracks, but if your 420 is EFI you probably have as much power as mine or more, as a gear tranny is more efficient. Tracks won't tear up your Rancher, but in deep snow it will make it work.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Official Site Skeptic

Thanked 3,048 Times in 947 Posts
mongrol has a reputation beyond reputemongrol has a reputation beyond reputemongrol has a reputation beyond reputemongrol has a reputation beyond reputemongrol has a reputation beyond reputemongrol has a reputation beyond reputemongrol has a reputation beyond reputemongrol has a reputation beyond reputemongrol has a reputation beyond reputemongrol has a reputation beyond reputemongrol has a reputation beyond repute
This may help, maybe not, The black machine is a 300cc Polaris & the red one is a 400HO (455cc). Both would go anywhere I pointed them. The 300 was slower but a great climber.

Camoplasts system matches the engine size to the appropriate track gearing. Smaller engine = low gearing = slower speed = more torque (pulling power).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC300006.JPG (418.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg P2160007.JPG (440.4 KB, 79 views)

2009 Polaris Sportsman 550XP, EPS,Tatou 4S Tracks , 3000 lb. Warn Winch, Lock & Ride Windshield & Cargo Box, Rear Racks, Hot Grips, Ricochet Plates.

The Following User Says Thank You to mongrol For This Useful Post:
trapperdirk (10-26-2010)

Tags
honda, rancher