If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > Rumor Mill

Old 11-02-2010, 03:37 PM

the_Zed will become famous soon enough
Tap Out Martial Arts in Oakbank ?

Anybody hear about this school opening some time in Nov. ? Thinking about joining but want to know more about it. Anybody know who's running this ?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:46 PM

Thanked 1,034 Times in 626 Posts
Grizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud of
Here, from a cached Kijiji ad:

We are opening our doors mid November. Ages 4 and up.
Programs we offer are: Tatsumi Ryu Karate, Intro Martial Arts Program
(ages 4-6 yrs), Submission Grappling, Tai Boxing. We will also be offering every so often, boot camps, personal protection courses, anti-bullying courses.
We are located in Oakbank, Manitoba. East of Winnipeg on Hwy 15.
If you have any inquires please feel free to call
414-9455 or 444-3378.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:21 PM

Tracerec is on a distinguished road
My wife spoke to them and liked what she heard. They're going to call us when they get closer to opening their doors. Couldn't ask for better timing - I was dreading the drive into Wpg for my daughter to take Karate.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:05 PM

FarmerC is on a distinguished road
I called about it too. My nephew wanted to join. Guy wasn't too honest about his history in martial arts. Claims to be bjj blackbelt but can't remember the name of the guy who gave it to him. Also on his poster says Ju Ryu karate...no such thing as far as I can tell. I told my sister it didn't sound too legit.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:10 PM

Grizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud ofGrizzlypeg has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerC View Post
... Claims to be bjj blackbelt but can't remember the name of the guy who gave it to him. .... didn't sound too legit.
That sounds bad. The guy should just be honest and state his real credentials. You can learn a lot from a brown belt that trained with the right academy and earned his belt. Marcus Vasconcellos was from Rio and he earned his brown belt at Behring Academy. He could teach and fight.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlypeg View Post
That sounds bad. The guy should just be honest and state his real credentials. You can learn a lot from a brown belt that trained with the right academy and earned his belt. Marcus Vasconcellos was from Rio and he earned his brown belt at Behring Academy. He could teach and fight.
So true. Martial Arts is supposed to be partly about integrity. If he starts out like this I don't think I would trust my kids with him. Especially if he is teaching them potentially dangerous techniques. I would need to trust him.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:11 PM
HUMVEE

jblcool is a glorious beacon of lightjblcool is a glorious beacon of lightjblcool is a glorious beacon of lightjblcool is a glorious beacon of lightjblcool is a glorious beacon of lightjblcool is a glorious beacon of light
Ya! That doesn't sound good if you can't remember the important things. How do you even know if you can remember what you are going to teach. I have my black belt in tae kwon do and I'm sure I know how and where I got it from. Hope this guy is for real, and If he is It is a good thing for all ages!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 PM

There's a thread on this topic on the MMA underground forum. It worth reading the entire thread:
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....9&page=1&pc=34

My daughter and I met with him and his wife (she grew up in Springfield). We're still considering attending classes for a couple months and will evaluate from there.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:39 PM
HUMVEE

jblcool is a glorious beacon of lightjblcool is a glorious beacon of lightjblcool is a glorious beacon of lightjblcool is a glorious beacon of lightjblcool is a glorious beacon of lightjblcool is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerec View Post
There's a thread on this topic on the MMA underground forum. It worth reading the entire thread:
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma....9&page=1&pc=34

My daughter and I met with him and his wife (she grew up in Springfield). We're still considering attending classes for a couple months and will evaluate from there.
That's great! It would be nice to give this guy chance to share his knowledge.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:50 PM

I agree.
It would be great to have someone in the know assess him and his teaching style. I would hate to have my daughter get turned off martial arts. Once kids get a bad taste of something it's like pulling teeth to get them to try again.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:12 AM

Hard to assess when the last I heard, his club isn't open yet. When the original flyer arrived in the mail, November 1st was opening. Too bad that their is so much uncertainty with this guy, it would be convenient for me. We'll see what happens. I'll drive by tonight.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:47 AM

Whether the guy's a black belt or not in BJJ or whatever, doesn't speak to his teaching abilities, personality, methodology, ethics etc. Maybe you just need to give it a try and see how they like it? Does he offer some sort of trial membership with the parents having an opportunity to watch what goes on?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:25 PM

It would be a no brainer if the guy came with a track record and history as an instructor. He can have all the skill in the world but he also needs to keep the kids safe - a 14 year old with attitude could unintentionally cause some serious hurt to a 10 year old. Dec 1st is an introductory class with actual classes starting on the 6th.
Looking forward to the Zed's opinion.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:55 PM

I'll definitely sit in on one of his classes and get a feel for it. But for now, I think I'll play it safe and join the Tae Kwon Do club out of Anola. Not only heard good things about it, but a cousin of mine attends periodic classes to keep up on things with his black belt.
The Following User Says Thank You to the_Zed For This Useful Post:
Tracerec (11-21-2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 02:32 PM
The WAGON show

HotWheels has a brilliant futureHotWheels has a brilliant futureHotWheels has a brilliant futureHotWheels has a brilliant futureHotWheels has a brilliant futureHotWheels has a brilliant futureHotWheels has a brilliant futureHotWheels has a brilliant futureHotWheels has a brilliant futureHotWheels has a brilliant futureHotWheels has a brilliant future
Anyone looking for the real thing check out Team Canada MMA on Wardlaw... BJJ and Kick boxing at its best... World class trainers for sure... Its where i train...
The Following User Says Thank You to HotWheels For This Useful Post:
Tracerec (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Zed View Post
I'll definitely sit in on one of his classes and get a feel for it. But for now, I think I'll play it safe and join the Tae Kwon Do club out of Anola. Not only heard good things about it, but a cousin of mine attends periodic classes to keep up on things with his black belt.
I know one of the bb's out at that club. They are good and honest. Honesty is HUGE in the martial arts. If you can't trust him with words, wouldn't trust him with kids safety. The problem is if you don't know Martial Arts anyone with a little training can look impressive. You don't realise what you are getting until you experience other instructors or compete. I was taken in by a fraud instructor in Transcona a few years ago and felt stupid after for wasting thousands of dollars ($100/mth adds up quick!) and having no real skills to show for it. So if you aren't a martial artist it is really hard to judge quality. Being a "nice guy"isn't enough if you are counting on something to keep you safe.

Even if you are only looking for fun and fitness you have to make sure he is legit. Bad training practices caused me serious, life long injuries from the fraud I trained with. Just thankful my kids never got permanent injuries. Karate is notorious for some dangerous training practices so make sure if you are checking them out they aren't going to do anything that is going to warp growing bodies or apply submissions that can damage growth plates.

I would suggest if you are checking him out to ask for his certificates of rank and then google the associations that have ranked him. Lots of them are belt mills where you just pay for ranking. Check to make sure he is part of a legitimate association. Especially if he is claiming rank in BJJ. They, as of 2009, require all newly promoted bb's to have an IBJJF certification number. Remember, getting a bb in ANY art is a big deal and you will remember who, when, where you got it. If he is claiming rank in a "family style" be seriously doubtful. That is a line wannabes use when they know they can't back up their rank. Usually to be promoted in these elite "family ryus" you either have to be a member of the family or marry in. As it has been mentioned, his wife is not Japanese so I doubt if this is the case.

I am not bashing this particular club...I don't know them. What I am saying is that as a victim of a martial arts fraud artist I know how dangerous they can be. Minimally you are wasting money but more seriously you are opening yourself to injury and a false sense of security if you are counting on self-defense training from these instructors. Just please do your homework and don't go just because it is close. You wouldn't do that for a mechanic or doctor, so please be equally careful with someone you trust with your childs well-being.

As for Team Canada they have one of the best BJJ instructors in the city and he is the real deal. The other fantastic instructor is Curtis Brigham, but he is also on the south end of the city. We need a reputable instructor closer to this end of the city. For karate instruction there is a fantastic club off of Pembina with a guy who trained for years in Japan and really knows his stuff. Trust me, if you want good training you may have to travel but it will be worth it in the long run.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FarmerC For This Useful Post:
HotWheels (11-21-2010), jblcool (11-21-2010), the_Zed (11-22-2010), Tracerec (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 11:14 PM

Farmer C and others I appreciate the excellent points you've made - thank you.

We've been told spots have been filling up so I hope they're successful. For myself I'll wait until I've heard more from knowledgeable folks who able to give a fair assessment of the school. Unfortunately there just isn't enough information that I'm willing to take a chance with my kids.

Thanks again - the community here is 1st rate!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerec View Post
Farmer C and others I appreciate the excellent points you've made - thank you.

We've been told spots have been filling up so I hope they're successful. For myself I'll wait until I've heard more from knowledgeable folks who able to give a fair assessment of the school. Unfortunately there just isn't enough information that I'm willing to take a chance with my kids.

Thanks again - the community here is 1st rate!
Filling up? That is a classic marketing trick. Hurry up and sign up, or there won't be room!

Well I have done some training in both karate and bjj so I think I will pop down and roll with the guy. I will let you know if I get a good vibe or not.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:49 PM

Does anyone know if this has opened up already? And where it is located in Oakbank? I hear he has joined up with a legit bb in bjj from the city to teach out there. If that is true, this could be fantastic!
Old 12-27-2010, 01:50 PM

That's good news; do you know who from the city he has teamed up with? I was told classes started the second week of December. They are located in the mall with the Subway 449 Main st.. You enter through the doors where the travel agent (Terri's Travel) is located.

If you get a chance to check him out I'd appreciate your perception.

Cheers,
Dan

Tags
martial, oakbank