If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > Truck and Trailers

Old 05-14-2012, 12:35 PM

RZRRaMoNe is on a distinguished road
Bully Dog GT diesel tuner on early 07 5.9 cummins

Hello all,

I have been using a edge mileage max tuner on my 07 dodge ram 3500 mega cab. Has a 6 inch lift, currently 35 12.5 17s going to 325 65 18s. Has a high ram intake and cold air intake, only a resonator left in the exhaust system.

I faithfully get 18.0 mpg no matter when I check it as I fuel up.
But there is really no power gains with the programmer. I do not like how it shifts the truck, no way to change settings.

So my local shop stocks this bully dog gt tuner, he let me try it this weekend, I think it is a major improvement over the edge I currently use. The extreme winds by rossburn screwed with my mileage a bit but I still avgd 18.5 when I fueled up. If I had of fueled up b4 yesterdays driving I think it would have been 25mpg.

My question is...anybody else running this programmer in a 5.9?

How do you like it?

Are they really any good or should I be spending my money on something else?

I have next to no interest in burning tires off, much much much too expensive. I just want to get the best mileage with this truck as possible.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 05:48 PM

pizalm will become famous soon enoughpizalm will become famous soon enough
As far as I know smarty is the best bet for a cummins. I think they have efi live out for the 06-07 5.9s which allows you to customize the tune completely to your tastes.
The Following User Says Thank You to pizalm For This Useful Post:
RZRRaMoNe (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Paid Advertiser

NoBrakes is a glorious beacon of lightNoBrakes is a glorious beacon of lightNoBrakes is a glorious beacon of lightNoBrakes is a glorious beacon of lightNoBrakes is a glorious beacon of light
Your best bet is the H&S Mini Maxx. They just released custom tuning last week and there stock tunes are right up there with the others as is they are always updating them. We got alot better mileage after running the H&S stuff on our trucks.
RZRRaMoNe (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 PM

Thank you for your responses. The bully dog appears to be asthetically the same as the H and S mini maxx so I may just keep it as it is already in my truck.

I will let you all know if something blows up as I dont drive very hard.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:54 PM
ʞoɯɐ unɹ ɹoʇɐɹʇsıuıɯpɐ

Thanked 1,985 Times in 824 Posts
Snowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond repute
just be a bit careful with that GT
i had one in my truck and changed it for a smarty
even on level 1 my EGT's would get nasty hot.
if i turned it up i could top out the 1600 deg gauge in 10 seconds.(if i kept my foot in it)

if your going to run any programmer i would suggest getting gauges.
those high temps will trash a good motor in seconds.

im really happy with my smarty.
i can tune the truck to how i like to drive, and the temps stay nice and low.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:14 AM

Which Smarty Programmer do you run? What did it cost? Can you correct your speedometer with it?

I dont want to blow anything up and there is a ton of soot with it when you goose it off the start. What should you be hitting with EGTs?

If you would like to PM that would be cool too Snowman.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:20 PM
ʞoɯɐ unɹ ɹoʇɐɹʇsıuıɯpɐ

Thanked 1,985 Times in 824 Posts
Snowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond reputeSnowman has a reputation beyond repute
PM'd ya back
just got in from Iowa.

answers.
S-06
$600
yes
all the black smoke you WANT - if you WANT IT.
(I have almost none with my current tune.)
above 1200 for too long and you'll start melting stuff.
i usually back out when i hit 1100 -1200, but i have seen 1500 for very short periods.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:59 PM

How are the new smarty tunes Snowman?

Tags
bully, cummins, diesel, early, tuner