If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > Snowmobile Brand Discussions > Arctic Cat Sleds

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Go Big Or Go Home

bigwheeler will become famous soon enough
2012 and 2013 Arctic Cat Drivetrain Upgrade Bulletin issued

This was released on Friday 9-6

Service Bulletins BS201401-05
As indicated in our letter to you on March 26, 2013, we are aware that certain 2012 & 2013 Arctic Cat snowmobiles have experienced pre-mature belt failure. After surveying our owners, we know that most snowmobiles appear to be unaffected and not all customers are experiencing this issue. We also know that installing aftermarket performance boost kits tends to compound the problem; not only due to the increased horsepower and load, but also because they change the RPM / speed equation which dramatically affects cooling.

Testing last winter on snow as well as in an independent drivetrain dynamometer lab has confirmed the new improved drive system on the 2014 Arctic Cat snowmobiles lowers drive belt operating temperatures by up to 30% and significantly increases drive belt durability.

In addition, the results clearly indicated that of all the “2014 solutions,”the 2014 Big Fin Driven Clutch provided the highest rate of improvement when applied to the 2012 & 2013 snowmobile.

In fact, application of the 2014 Big Fin Driven Clutch resulted in twice the durability. Accordingly, to ensure our product continues to meet our customers’ expectations, we have released Service Bulletins BS201401-05. These service bulletins affect all 2012 & 2013 800 cc and 1100 cc turbo Procross and Proclimb snowmobiles that were in factory warranty as of March 1, 2013. Arctic Cat will provide a no-charge upgrade of the existing driven clutch to the New 2014 “Big Fin” Driven Clutch. Parts will be available in late October / early November 2013 and will be evenly distributed among dealers as they become available.

We continually upgrade and enhance our snowmobiles and some of the 2014 enhancements are now available as upgrades for the 2012 & 2013 snowmobiles. Depending on your customer’s riding style, they can decide which improvements would best enhance their ride.

We encourage our customers to upgrade their snowmobiles,including units that are out of warranty or requiring service. Accordingly, we are pleased to participate in these upgrades at a pro-rated level through our Drivetrain Improvement Program that will make the 2014 improvements available to our 2012 & 2013 snowmobile customers at reduced pricing.

1. 2014 Big Fin Driven Clutch - $149 Special Retail (MSRP $429.95) – For a limited time only, Arctic Cat is making this clutch available at dramatically reduced pricing. This is a great opportunity for the customer who is out of warranty or hasn’t experienced an issue but wants to economically upgrade their drive system to the newest and most current technology.

2. 2014 Gearing - $49-$79 Special Retail (MSRP $89-$229) – We recognize the advantage of the lower gear ratios in the 2014 snowmobiles and recommend the 2014 gear ratios for all aggressive riders.

3. Exvolute Track Drive and Slide Rails for F Models - $199 Special Retail (MSRP $549) – High horsepower, modified, or traction-improved 2012 & 2013 Procross F models can realize improved performance and durability with the addition of the exvolute track drive kit.

4. Updated Clutch Guard - $39-$44 Special Retail (MSRP $89-$99) – Arctic Cat has developed a more durable clutch guard that will retro-fit back to all 2012 & 2013 Procross and Proclimb snowmobiles. The updated clutch guard also improves cooling when used in conjunction with the 2014 Big Fin Driven Clutch.

These kits will be available at this aggressive pricing until March 31, 2014 only, so please encourage your customers to take advantage of this opportunity to economically upgrade and improve the performance of their snowmobile.

Yours truly,
Arctic Cat Product Support

Last edited by bigwheeler; 09-08-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 PM

motorboat is just really nicemotorboat is just really nicemotorboat is just really nicemotorboat is just really nice
bulletin

finally, gonna be alot of happy belt eaters! These are the improvements all the mountain boys been doin since 2011 to keep a belt more than 500miles. Also tryin to keep all the engines inline even with the tcl. Sure mods increase the problems but even the stockers when ridden aggressively had alot of belt issues. I think cat was unprepared for the belt issues with the revolutionary TCL, B.S. Purdy hard to keep a 160+hp engine perfectly still. These bandaids are trying to get rid of loads of heat from friction cause the secondary is allowed to twist, the cross shaft flexes like a noodle because of the tapered gears in the chaincase. Next cat needs to get rid of the tapered bearings, gears and chain. Let the motor flex a bit and keep the driveline strait! That's not NEW though. Reinventing the wheel.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Administrator/Owner

Thanked 2,329 Times in 742 Posts
camoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond reputecamoman has a reputation beyond repute
Nice to see they are stepping up to the plate!
Old 09-14-2013, 05:58 AM
Go Big Or Go Home

Dealer confirmed that only the 2014 secondary will be provided and installed free of charge. They say because most people are happy with the 2013 set up, Arctic Cat is not providing the other three as Warranty upgrades and if you want them its on the owners expense. but they are offering a limited time only a reduced price for them + labor and taxes.

Most people are happy with there 2013 set up, what a line of crap!

Arctic Cat is finished for me when my warranty is up. What a complete disappointment they have become!
The Following User Says Thank You to bigwheeler For This Useful Post:
tonym63 (09-14-2013)
Old 09-14-2013, 07:34 AM

Thanked 1,430 Times in 772 Posts
TwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond repute
Love my 13 best sled i have owned hands down bring on the snow

Your Hustler Z Turn Mower dealer
Old 09-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoStroke View Post
Love my 13 best sled i have owned hands down bring on the snow
I thought the same thing until things started going wrong. how many miles you have on yours?
Old 09-14-2013, 08:07 AM

TwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond reputeTwoStroke has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheeler View Post
I thought the same thing until things started going wrong. how many miles you have on yours?
2200 just added a torsional kit to my new secondary that is coming , i was one of the lucky ones with mine , box stock one of the fasted F 8

Old 09-14-2013, 08:32 AM
I Live For This!

Gimlioffroader will become famous soon enough
Mabye this is Yamaha coming up with all of this now that they are joined?
2006 polaris sawtooth 200
http://www.youtube.com/user/gimlioffroader?feature=mhee
Old 09-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Go Big Or Go Home

I will be riding the shit out of mine this season and what breaks...oh well...fix it! In the end it will mean less riding for me (unless this bandage holds up) but will = more expense for Arctic Cat and more work for the dealer if not.

IMO,
Arctic Cat is a garbage company that does not give a crap about there customers and only looks out for #1. I will be dropping them as soon as the Warranty runs out on this machine. Just not sure who will be the next manufacture I end up going with...Hmmmmm?
Old 09-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Paid Advertiser

NoBrakes is a glorious beacon of lightNoBrakes is a glorious beacon of lightNoBrakes is a glorious beacon of lightNoBrakes is a glorious beacon of lightNoBrakes is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Dealer confirmed that only the 2014 secondary will be provided and installed free of charge. They say because most people are happy with the 2013 set up, Arctic Cat is not providing the other three as Warranty upgrades and if you want them its on the owners expense. but they are offering a limited time only a reduced price for them + labor and taxes.

Most people are happy with there 2013 set up, what a line of crap!

Arctic Cat is finished for me when my warranty is up. What a complete disappointment they have become!
What is being paid by Arctic Cat is the new secondary however if you have a documented problem Cat will be looking to help out. An example, if you were to get the new secondary and still have a belt blowing issue they will then install the gearing and have you try it and see if it helps etc. They are looking to help the people who have issues.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:55 AM

Thanked 3,067 Times in 1,231 Posts
ProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond reputeProComp has a reputation beyond repute
Still don't understand how gearing effects belt life. The fact that some are not belt eaters is proof. Hope they figure it out as I need a new sled. I've had four 800 cats and blown one belt after racing with a high miler belt on it.

Current Sleds - 2014 800 Assault LE 2.0, 2013 Indy 600 SP ES
Previous 4x4 Quads: 09 MudPro, 2008 Prowler, 2006 AC H1, 05 AC 500 manual
Old 09-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Paid Advertiser

NoBrakes is a glorious beacon of lightNoBrakes is a glorious beacon of lightNoBrakes is a glorious beacon of lightNoBrakes is a glorious beacon of lightNoBrakes is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProComp View Post
Still don't understand how gearing effects belt life. The fact that some are not belt eaters is proof. Hope they figure it out as I need a new sled. I've had four 800 cats and blown one belt after racing with a high miler belt on it.
On your first point, there are lots of hidden factors other than Sled A is blowing belts and Sled B is perfectly fine. Riding styles and usage will play a huge role as well.

Gearing effects heat levels, when you gear down you reduce load on the clutches. For some, the gearing and clutch alone will bring down the heat levels and stop belts from blowing.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:30 PM

motorboat is just really nicemotorboat is just really nicemotorboat is just really nicemotorboat is just really nice
The lower gearing will help if you have studs or a larger track, but a wobbling secondary will still heat the f!@# out of a belt tryin to transfer 160 hp! Anyone w a belt blower should look into an aftermarket engine support, cross shaft, venting, new sec clutch.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Go Big Or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBrakes View Post
What is being paid by Arctic Cat is the new secondary however if you have a documented problem Cat will be looking to help out. An example, if you were to get the new secondary and still have a belt blowing issue they will then install the gearing and have you try it and see if it helps etc. They are looking to help the people who have issues.
So you are saying my upcoming season could consist of the following to ensure Arctic Cat is not spending unnecessary money and possible make money at the same time?

You provide a new secondary drive,
we run that on my $300 new belt,
lets say it blows again,
it goes back to the shop for who knows how long to get the gearing changed,
we try it again using another one of my new purchased $300 belts,
Lets say it blows again,
it goes back into the shop again for who knows how long to get the new belt guard changed over,
we seem to be good now...Good thing we still have a few weeks before it starts to melt to ride and now I need to pay off all the belts I just burned through!

Not seeing how this is good for me the customer that was told my 2013 had all the issues of the 2012 corrected and not to worry.
I say Provide all the improvements at one time and hope to god it puts this belt eating issue to rest already and if not, back to the drawing board you go!

Last edited by bigwheeler; 09-14-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Paid Advertiser

Quote:
So you are saying my upcoming season could consist of the following to ensure Arctic Cat is not spending unnecessary money and possible make money at the same time?

You provide a new secondary drive,
we run that on my $300 new belt,
lets say it blows again,
it goes back to the shop for who knows how long to get the gearing changed,
Lets say it blows again,
it goes back into the shop again for who knows how long to get the new belt guard changed over,
we seem to be good now...Good thing we still have a few weeks before it starts to melt to ride and now I need to pay off all the belts I just burned through!

Not seeing how this is good for me the customer that was told my 2013 had all the issues of the 2012 corrected and not to worry.
I say Provide all the improvements at one time and hope to god it puts this belt eating issue to rest already and if not, back to the drawing board you go!
How many belts have you blown? What has your dealer done to your sled trying to correct your issues? Your paying $300 for each belt?

As for the downtime statement, I can tell you that WE as a dealer have ordered update kits to cover what we need to give a quick turnaround for our customers. We have already had some update kit parts arrive..
Old 09-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Welcome To Crackshare!

Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,096 Posts
Vertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
I think I blew 6-7 belts this year. I just used the $115 ones though. I do agree with big wheeler though, that the updates should come all together the first time the machine is in there. Depending on how busy the dealer is, it could take 3-4 days each time something has to be changed. That's a lot of lost riding time.

I can do that stuff myself, but a lot of people can't. I'm fortunate to have a garage where I can work and fix stuff when it's -40 out.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:16 PM

Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,137 Posts
four_420_twenty has a brilliant futurefour_420_twenty has a brilliant futurefour_420_twenty has a brilliant futurefour_420_twenty has a brilliant futurefour_420_twenty has a brilliant futurefour_420_twenty has a brilliant futurefour_420_twenty has a brilliant futurefour_420_twenty has a brilliant futurefour_420_twenty has a brilliant futurefour_420_twenty has a brilliant futurefour_420_twenty has a brilliant future
Just started my sled today 4 pulls. Can't wait to destroy the river with the 600 sno cross motor!! Braaaap

2010 Arctic Cat Sno Pro 500- D&D Can, 09 600 sno x motor ~~ sold
2013 rmz 250 4stroke
2014 el tigre 6000
Maple leaf construction
Old 09-15-2013, 04:32 PM

mudhoe is on a distinguished road
FYI not the dealers fault i had my sled at TT and whe i told them i am blowing belts they said ohh really!! after paying them to install my belt and nothing else blew another one.. called chudds and this one guy actually took the time to explain the situation and with what he saw and fixed i was good to go!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 PM

2 posts and bashing dealers nice!!!

Old 09-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Welcome To Crackshare!

Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,096 Posts
Vertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Bashing dealers? I see a couple posts about wanting everything fixed at once so there isn't a lot of wasted time. I must be missing something.

What aftermarket secondaries are guys using?
Closed Thread

Tags
arctic, bulletin, drivetrain, issued, snowmobile, upgrade