If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

User Name
Password
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   TrackShare.com > GPS Chat

Old 12-10-2017, 05:26 PM

Thanked 3,783 Times in 1,188 Posts
rws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond repute
SPOT subscription renewal

My SPOT subscription was coming due soon so I called them today to cancel the renewal that would automatically be charged to my credit card in a few weeks. They asked why I wanted to cancel...I told them I was considering the Garmin InReach. They immediately said they could offer me a $65 credit towards the $182 annual fee if I renewed right now...so I'll be running my SPOT another year. They must be desperate to keep their customers from jumping to Garmin.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rws For This Useful Post:
Cat Man (12-11-2017), rjsnowdrifter (12-12-2017), Runnin' Wild (12-13-2017), TOOTHPICK (12-10-2017), Winslow (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 03:44 PM

Winslow has a spectacular aura aboutWinslow has a spectacular aura about
Spot has been rising prices each year for there subscription ...

Even a new Spot has gone up

For the Christmas Season they have reduced the price on this one
which I have been wanting to up grade too ..

Well I am have to call them as see what I can squeeze out of them

Thanks for the update RWS -- remember to add me to your list
The Following User Says Thank You to Winslow For This Useful Post:
rjsnowdrifter (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 06:29 PM

rws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond reputerws has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
Spot has been rising prices each year for there subscription ...

Even a new Spot has gone up

For the Christmas Season they have reduced the price on this one
which I have been wanting to up grade too ..

Well I am have to call them as see what I can squeeze out of them

Thanks for the update RWS -- remember to add me to your list

Call and tell them you are considering upgrading to the Gen III but will only do it if they include Free tracking. I used that story last year...told them I'd renew my Gen II subscription if they included the tracking....they did it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rws For This Useful Post:
rjsnowdrifter (12-12-2017), Winslow (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 05:38 PM
rj

rjsnowdrifter will become famous soon enoughrjsnowdrifter will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rws View Post
Call and tell them you are considering upgrading to the Gen III but will only do it if they include Free tracking. I used that story last year...told them I'd renew my Gen II subscription if they included the tracking....they did it.

Do you have the phone number, I can't find it
Old 12-12-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsnowdrifter View Post
do you have the phone number, i can't find it
1 (866) 651-7768
The Following User Says Thank You to rws For This Useful Post:
rjsnowdrifter (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 08:10 PM
rj

rjsnowdrifter will become famous soon enoughrjsnowdrifter will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rws View Post
1 (866) 651-7768
Thanks.. I will negotiate with them when renewal gets closer
Old 12-13-2017, 02:01 PM
Miami Motorsports Pres.

Runnin' Wild is a jewel in the roughRunnin' Wild is a jewel in the roughRunnin' Wild is a jewel in the roughRunnin' Wild is a jewel in the rough
Rws whats your thoughts on the InReach? I'm planning on buying one for hunting and guiding. I like the idea of 2 way msging and the huge seller is 1 can purchase month by month. I figure by buying a more expensive unit up front I would be at par cash wise with the spot and its subscription inside 2 to 3 years and have a better unit in the long run.

You know anyone running one? Reviews on it look good.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2017, 03:29 PM

JeffGordon is a name known to allJeffGordon is a name known to allJeffGordon is a name known to allJeffGordon is a name known to allJeffGordon is a name known to allJeffGordon is a name known to all
I have a buddy currently working on snow trail between Gillam and Churchill. We text each twice a day, no issues. His wife gets pinpoint locations and knows exactly where he is. He is very happy with it. No idea of cost
Old 12-13-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Wild View Post
Rws whats your thoughts on the InReach? I'm planning on buying one for hunting and guiding. I like the idea of 2 way msging and the huge seller is 1 can purchase month by month. I figure by buying a more expensive unit up front I would be at par cash wise with the spot and its subscription inside 2 to 3 years and have a better unit in the long run.

You know anyone running one? Reviews on it look good.

Thanks
I did a little research on the Garmin InReach and will probably switch products next year when my current SPOT contract runs out.

Although the InReach has some nice features the SPOT is still a valuable device for me. With the 12 month subscription of $117 I'm getting the basic service with pre-programed messages and SOS rescue, the added tracking feature and the GEOS insurance that pays up to $50,000 USD per incident to pay SOS rescue bills. (you can buy higher limits if you wish)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rws For This Useful Post:
rjsnowdrifter (12-14-2017), Runnin' Wild (12-13-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 12:43 PM

Winslow has a spectacular aura aboutWinslow has a spectacular aura about
This is the one I would like :
inReach Explorerģ+

Satellite Communicator with Maps and Sensors

As of right now its on sale for Christmas 589.99 --

Subscription monthly is Recreation -- 45.00 per month

this allows unlimited tracking ...

So when you add up Spot cost for one year 120.00 its not a bad
deal and you can be tracked .. but if you want something better

then the Garmin InReach is better

That's my five cents
The Following User Says Thank You to Winslow For This Useful Post:
rjsnowdrifter (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 11:33 PM
rj

Can you suspend the InReach subscription?
Old 12-14-2017, 11:45 PM

mkehler is just really nicemkehler is just really nicemkehler is just really nicemkehler is just really nice
Yes you can it used to be unlimited but now I think itís 6 freezes a year. You pay per day prorated not per month which is another huge bonus. I havenít used my spot since I got my inreach. 2way texting (on your smartphone inreach app via Bluetooth if you want)is worth every penny and it also has tracking like the spot.
The Following User Says Thank You to mkehler For This Useful Post:
rjsnowdrifter (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 11:12 AM

KevinS is a splendid one to beholdKevinS is a splendid one to beholdKevinS is a splendid one to beholdKevinS is a splendid one to beholdKevinS is a splendid one to beholdKevinS is a splendid one to beholdKevinS is a splendid one to behold
I see GPS City still has the Delorme version. I wonder how it compares to the Garmin version?

http://www.gpscity.ca/delorme-inreach-se

The Garmin unit is a little pricey considering I just picked up a Montana 610 on Cyber Monday. $280 is a little more reasonable.
The Following User Says Thank You to KevinS For This Useful Post:
rjsnowdrifter (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 03:33 PM

mkehler is just really nicemkehler is just really nicemkehler is just really nicemkehler is just really nice
the actual gps on the delorme is lacking to the point where I don't use it as a gps, I use montana600. i understand that the garmin version has much better gps mapping/topo (albeit still a small screen).

i'm a gps moron though so maybe others would have better experience
Old 12-19-2017, 08:40 PM
Boggy River Riders

manitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud of
i have the garmin explorer inreach+ just picked it up this week. i have only been able to play with it a bit but so far i am very happy with it. on thing you have to remember is that this unit is a communicator first and gps second. there are no card slots for expandable memory and does not support any garmin mapping at this time as in you cannot connect to basecamp and import your old waypoints. it uses the earthmate app for mobile and web app for pc/mac. it comes downloaded with delorme canada topo and world basemap. for a guy whos heavy into mapping his own trails and building his own maps this unit wont suffice. for the guy who wants just above basic gps function it works great. i was able to pair with my smart phone no problem and text my buddy in gillam no problem. he was able to text back with no issue either. once i message him he can see through thr earthmate app exactly where i text him from on the canada topo map. if he had his own unit he would have the fuction to select to navigate to my position with a click of a button.
very cool unit but remember this is a communicator first. i wont be getting rid of my 62 series garmin as it has way more gps function for the mapping and charting i like doing. one thing that is neat on the inreach is that on my smartphone i can download different map layers and save them to my sd card and view my position on them through blue tooth connection between the two devices. right now the canada maps are limited but the usa maps and charts are excellent. hopefully the canadian maps follow.

the first picture shows what i saw after i sent the message showing me where i sent the message from.

the second picture was attached in the text message that i sent that showed him where i was on the web app on his iphone

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
HMF Muffler, Perfex Long Travel Kit,
1" Wheel Spacers, Snorkled,
Warn Winch, Hand and Tumb Warmers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manitoba450es For This Useful Post:
JeffGordon (12-19-2017), Winslow (12-23-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 11:11 PM
Miami Motorsports Pres.

Runnin' Wild is a jewel in the roughRunnin' Wild is a jewel in the roughRunnin' Wild is a jewel in the roughRunnin' Wild is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitoba450es View Post
i have the garmin explorer inreach+ just picked it up this week. i have only been able to play with it a bit but so far i am very happy with it. on thing you have to remember is that this unit is a communicator first and gps second. there are no card slots for expandable memory and does not support any garmin mapping at this time as in you cannot connect to basecamp and import your old waypoints. it uses the earthmate app for mobile and web app for pc/mac. it comes downloaded with delorme canada topo and world basemap. for a guy whos heavy into mapping his own trails and building his own maps this unit wont suffice. for the guy who wants just above basic gps function it works great. i was able to pair with my smart phone no problem and text my buddy in gillam no problem. he was able to text back with no issue either. once i message him he can see through thr earthmate app exactly where i text him from on the canada topo map. if he had his own unit he would have the fuction to select to navigate to my position with a click of a button.
very cool unit but remember this is a communicator first. i wont be getting rid of my 62 series garmin as it has way more gps function for the mapping and charting i like doing. one thing that is neat on the inreach is that on my smartphone i can download different map layers and save them to my sd card and view my position on them through blue tooth connection between the two devices. right now the canada maps are limited but the usa maps and charts are excellent. hopefully the canadian maps follow.

the first picture shows what i saw after i sent the message showing me where i sent the message from.

the second picture was attached in the text message that i sent that showed him where i was on the web app on his iphone

Do you require a smartphone to run it or does it work stand alone? My understanding was it can be used stand alone.

Also how was it for subscription?
Old 12-20-2017, 12:12 AM
Boggy River Riders

manitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud ofmanitoba450es has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin' Wild View Post
Do you require a smartphone to run it or does it work stand alone? My understanding was it can be used stand alone.

Also how was it for subscription?
can use as a stand alone unit just fine. little bit more time to type out messages thats all. paired with the smart phone you can text easier with the keyboard as well as you have a larger map to look at than the gps screen. it would be awesome if you could download a satelite map layer on your phone but that isnt an option i could find in canada yet.
subscription was easy. pretty much promps you what to do when you turn on the inreach. once on the website with my lap top it was complete in a matter of minutes. after that i walked outside and after about 5 min i recieved a text saying my subscription was active on the unit.
i signed up for the lowest monthly $14.95 a month. 10 txt per month. $0.75 each after that. unlimited SOS (one can only hope not to use it) 3 preset messages you set up online. those 3 are unlimited. you can get weather sent to you. tracking. all kinds of stuff. we bought 2 for moose camp. can talk back and forth within 13 miles of river if you need a hand with a moose or ran into trouble. also sat phone has been so lousy lately it will be nice and easy to give an update back home kind of thing.
there's some crazy plans too that arw unlimited but $99 per month i cant see myself using it to that extreme. can send a lot of .75 cent texts to make up that $85 difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to manitoba450es For This Useful Post:
Runnin' Wild (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitoba450es View Post
can use as a stand alone unit just fine. little bit more time to type out messages thats all. paired with the smart phone you can text easier with the keyboard as well as you have a larger map to look at than the gps screen. it would be awesome if you could download a satelite map layer on your phone but that isnt an option i could find in canada yet.
subscription was easy. pretty much promps you what to do when you turn on the inreach. once on the website with my lap top it was complete in a matter of minutes. after that i walked outside and after about 5 min i recieved a text saying my subscription was active on the unit.
i signed up for the lowest monthly $14.95 a month. 10 txt per month. $0.75 each after that. unlimited SOS (one can only hope not to use it) 3 preset messages you set up online. those 3 are unlimited. you can get weather sent to you. tracking. all kinds of stuff. we bought 2 for moose camp. can talk back and forth within 13 miles of river if you need a hand with a moose or ran into trouble. also sat phone has been so lousy lately it will be nice and easy to give an update back home kind of thing.
there's some crazy plans too that arw unlimited but $99 per month i cant see myself using it to that extreme. can send a lot of .75 cent texts to make up that $85 difference.
With that plan don't forget the .10 charge per tracking point (estimated cost of .60 per hour based on 10 minute tracking interval).
Old 12-20-2017, 08:35 AM
Boggy River Riders

as most probably know, tracking is leaving a bread crumb trail behind you. with the in reach explorer you have the option of setting your track intervals as well as send intervals. im not sure if they charge you for just turning tracking on or if they charge you just when you send it. i would think it would be just when you send the information but am not 100% sure. even with tracking off on both settings it still shows your location on the map.
if they were to charge just to turn tracking on and record to the unit this would be thr place where your 60/62/64 series would come in handy.
my plan is to use this puppy as a communicator first and GPS on it is just a bonus.
good point on the .10 per 10 min tracking. this unit has great battery life. could rack up thr bill if you left it on for a long time

Old 12-23-2017, 10:52 AM
Miami Motorsports Pres.

I'll be purchasing an InReach prior to heading back up north to guide next year. I spent a night on the tundra away from camp last year with no communication and only a pilot knowing where I was. Not the best idea should something of happened to the pilot, we'd of been SOL, but then again I have always lived on the edge lol. Something like the InReach would've been perfect for what I needed and should've had with me.

I like the 2way communication aspect of it plus it can be subscribed to on a monthly basis. It'll fit all my needs, cant wait to have in my arsenal next year.

Tags
renewal, subscription